High CPU Useage on 22 Camera build system

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I packed up the i7-7700 system and am shipping it back (Thank you amazon prime for allowing me to test a config free of charge), saving me $800. The changes made to the bit rate and the other tweaks now have my 14 camera system running on the R710 server at ~30-35% CPU 4-5GB RAM, 2160p resolution to my Samsung Smart TV.
Still something very wrong with the cpu usage...could have been the intel driver or that particular version of BI which some users reported issues with...

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No but I do have a TED Home with 4 spyders monitoring 32 circuits. I use about 5kWh/day on that circuit, but I have more than the R710 on that circuit.

slowmod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
just wanted to add my experience here in hopes that it may help someone else experiencing this issue, I have a 16 camera system consisting of primarily 2-4MP hikvisions and 3 d1 cameras feeding in through an Axis box. all are set to 15fps, 4096 bit rate, motion detection and direct to disk. live view is set to 10fps. o/s and DB are on a 256GB Intel SSD, footage is split between two purple 2TB drives. Microsoft security essentials excluding BI program directory and footage directories. replaced my i7-2700 win 7pro with 16GB of RAM and no HD processing (93-97% processor utilization) with a new HP ProDesk i7-6700, same drives, Win 7Pro and 4GB RAM (more on order). the new machine was pegged at 100% processor and 99% RAM off the bat. enabling HD acceleration dropped the processor to mid 90's utilization. I removed the HP video drivers and ran the Intel Utility to get the latest video driver, no improvement. setting acceleration to post processing dropped CPU usage down to 26% but the cameras kept disconnecting and live view was practically useless.

I changed the video memory setting in the BIOS from 16MB to 512MB, processor utilization is down in the high 70's to spiking low 80's now, memory usage is holding 2.2-2.4GB. There is still a lot more tuning to do once I get the additional RAM, and I will also go ahead and build out a second SSD with Windows 10 to see if anything is gained there. there are other issues such as low frame rates as well, and the live view pretty much sucks where it used to be fluid. I will try downgrading to a prior BI version to see if that helps as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
just wanted to add my experience here in hopes that it may help someone else experiencing this issue, I have a 16 camera system consisting of primarily 2-4MP hikvisions and 3 d1 cameras feeding in through an Axis box. all are set to 15fps, 4096 bit rate, motion detection and direct to disk. live view is set to 10fps. o/s and DB are on a 256GB Intel SSD, footage is split between two purple 2TB drives. Microsoft security essentials excluding BI program directory and footage directories. replaced my i7-2700 win 7pro with 16GB of RAM and no HD processing (93-97% processor utilization) with a new HP ProDesk i7-6700, same drives, Win 7Pro and 4GB RAM (more on order). the new machine was pegged at 100% processor and 99% RAM off the bat. enabling HD acceleration dropped the processor to mid 90's utilization. I removed the HP video drivers and ran the Intel Utility to get the latest video driver, no improvement. setting acceleration to post processing dropped CPU usage down to 26% but the cameras kept disconnecting and live view was practically useless.

I changed the video memory setting in the BIOS from 16MB to 512MB, processor utilization is down in the high 70's to spiking low 80's now, memory usage is holding 2.2-2.4GB. There is still a lot more tuning to do once I get the additional RAM, and I will also go ahead and build out a second SSD with Windows 10 to see if anything is gained there. there are other issues such as low frame rates as well, and the live view pretty much sucks where it used to be fluid. I will try downgrading to a prior BI version to see if that helps as well.
you need more memory despite what BI shows for usage...
Blue iris and CPU consumption as it relates to memory usage

then perform a clean windows install, or read the thread/google how to install the latest hd driver...the tool wont work on dell/hp system...

slowmod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Memory is ordered, will be here tomorrow. The tool does work if you uninstall the current provided HP driver before running the tool, if you attempt to run it with the HP driver installed it will throw a msg saying to check with the computer vendor for their latest driver. Windows was installed from scratch with an image I pulled down yesterday from the Volume Licensing Center. I then used the provided HP driver DVD to load the needed drivers prior to removing the video driver and installing direct from Intel. The point I was getting at was the limited default memory that the onboard video processing is allotted in the bios is a bottleneck. simply changing that setting freed up a bunch of and RAM and processing power making the system responsive again. I hate to see someone sending back a brand new system due to what could possibly be just an overlooked hidden setting.

Oh and rolling back to a prior version (4.5.3.2) didn't make any difference.

slowmod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
bumped to 8GB RAM, processor dropped to 33-36% and is no longer beating the crap out of the page file, system memory is holding steady at 76% consumed. out of curiosity I went back into the bios and dropped the allocated video memory down to the default 32MB it shipped to me with, booted it back up, processor was holding 82-85% and memory usage dropped to 61% consumed (gave 480MB back to the system). So allocated video memory is definitely something to look out for in unexplained processor consumption.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
bumped to 8GB RAM, processor dropped to 33-36% and is no longer beating the crap out of the page file, system memory is holding steady at 76% consumed. out of curiosity I went back into the bios and dropped the allocated video memory down to the default 32MB it shipped to me with, booted it back up, processor was holding 82-85% and memory usage dropped to 61% consumed (gave 480MB back to the system). So allocated video memory is definitely something to look out for in unexplained processor consumption.
what brand and model..this is good info..

slowmod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This particular one is a HP SB800 G2 mini tower otherwise known as a prodesk 800 g2. It's been a while since I have been on that side of the IT dept, but can say that I saw similar setups in the elitedesk sf800g1's and g2 ultra small case machines, as well as the older Lenovo E series. a bit odd especially considering that all of these machines support 2 or 3 monitors out of the box.

Last edited:

krp70s

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using the Gigabit's on board video, Intel HD 620.
Definitely, something to do with your bios for your "new" motherboard. I think they are still on REV1. Have you disabled Intel Hardware acceleration to see what it does? Then restart the server.

I'm assuming it will be worse but hey, try what you can right.