Hik DS-2CD2732F-IS recording and IR question

Reaction score
Hi all,

New the forum and will pppreciate some guidance on two issues I am having problems with.

I just recently purchased DS-2CD2732F-IS and it is running version

Firmware Version V5.1.0 build 131202
Encoding Version V5.0 build 131128

1. Continuous recording

I have the DS-2CD2732F-IS setup to record to a QNAP NAS and working. However, when I click on playback
there are gaps in the recording - see pic "recording.png"

2. IR Enable/Disabled

At night , when I enable IR, I basically only see plants the left hand side and the rest of the pic is blurred out.
However, if disable IR, the pic is better but not as clear. Is there a way to enable IR without blurring the pic

See ir-enabled.png and no-ir-enabled.png for comparison

Would appreaciate if someone can point me in the right direction to have both issue fixed.

Regards

crazyhorse2000
ir-enabled.pngno-ir-enabled.pngrecording.png

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi all,

New the forum and will pppreciate some guidance on two issues I am having problems with.

I just recently purchased DS-2CD2732F-IS and it is running version

Firmware Version V5.1.0 build 131202
Encoding Version V5.0 build 131128

1. Continuous recording

I have the DS-2CD2732F-IS setup to record to a QNAP NAS and working. However, when I click on playback
there are gaps in the recording - see pic "recording.png"

2. IR Enable/Disabled

At night , when I enable IR, I basically only see plants the left hand side and the rest of the pic is blurred out.
However, if disable IR, the pic is better but not as clear. Is there a way to enable IR without blurring the pic

See ir-enabled.png and no-ir-enabled.png for comparison

Would appreaciate if someone can point me in the right direction to have both issue fixed.

Regards

crazyhorse2000
View attachment 366View attachment 367View attachment 368
Not sure about the recording but it looks like the IR light is reflecting off of something, is the camera mounted near anything? Can you take a picture of the mounting location?

dalepa

Reaction score
2. looks like you have a spider web, or something else on or near the glass causing the reflection. It should not look like that...

it should at least look this good...

DriveAlrt.20140501_220330.jpg

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If it's blurred out, like a fog with IR on, then you installed it wrong. The dome cover has to be tighten down evenly and firmly but not over-tightened. What's happening is you are likely getting IR light bleed between the lens and IR LED ring. I even had one person tell me how bad it was just to find out the foam ring that separates the lens from the LEDs got knocked off during the install and he didn't think it was important. The other thing that can cause it mounting say under an eave and the IR reflects off the fascia board or having say a porch light too close to the camera (I've had to paint glass on porch lights black on the side facing the camera before.

I have a bunch of those installed at various locations on commercial installs, maybe the best camera I've used from Hikvision, you should have a clear picture like dalepa shows or what I show on my review of the camera on my blog.

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for your comments. I'll check camera over the weekend and let you guys know what I find.

Cheers

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Agreed. IR bleed or reflection given the "fog" pattern, not unlike an IR camera at night shooting from behind a window with IR turned low or the camera sitting in direct sun during the daytime.

Related Question.

Do all hikvision domes have a foam ring ring or such that helps eliminate dome reflection?

I've had my thoughts on domes, maybe even a PTZ one, but have been worried about reflections, bleed and such. Which is why my first trial mp camera was a bullet.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Agreed. IR bleed or reflection given the "fog" pattern, not unlike an IR camera at night shooting from behind a window with IR turned low or the camera sitting in direct sun during the daytime.

Related Question.

Do all hikvision domes have a foam ring ring or such that helps eliminate dome reflection?

I've had my thoughts on domes, maybe even a PTZ one, but have been worried about reflections, bleed and such. Which is why my first trial mp camera was a bullet.

Same, now that I've found cctv camera china on aliexpress, I may buy one just to play around with, I like the idea of discreet and vandal resistant but worry about IR issues inside of a dome and varifocal adjustment with such a small amount of space.

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got 2 of the 2732F-IS installed and the picture quality with IR on is about on par with dalepa's picture although his does look more crisp and clear than mine. I've got no issues with IR bleed or reflection mounted under an eave. In fact the IR is so intense that the plates on a car parked 3-4m away are completely blurred out. Let me know crazyhorse if you want a sample night shot posted up.

Reaction score
Hi All,

I managed to find some time and pull the ladder out to check the camera. I checked the camera and can't see anything wrong with the installation. For good measure, I used one of those cloths for slr camera to wipe the inside and outside of the dome glass. I didn't see any finger print marks or anything but I turned on IR again tonight and the pic seemed to have improved. Not exactly sure whether wiping it down with the cloth did anything - see pic 1

hmjgriffon,

Attached is two pic, showing the location of the camera. Nothing I can see that would cause the reflection. Pic 2 and 3

Netcritic,

You indicated that is installed incorrectly. Apart from screwing the dome evenly are there any pointers you can suggest to confirm whether I have installed the camera correctly.

By the way, your blog is awesome.

Regrads
crazyhorse2000pic1.jpgpic2-top-right[1].jpgpic3-under-eave[1].jpg

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi All,

I managed to find some time and pull the ladder out to check the camera. I checked the camera and can't see anything wrong with the installation. For good measure, I used one of those cloths for slr camera to wipe the inside and outside of the dome glass. I didn't see any finger print marks or anything but I turned on IR again tonight and the pic seemed to have improved. Not exactly sure whether wiping it down with the cloth did anything - see pic 1

hmjgriffon,

Attached is two pic, showing the location of the camera. Nothing I can see that would cause the reflection. Pic 2 and 3

Netcritic,

You indicated that is installed incorrectly. Apart from screwing the dome evenly are there any pointers you can suggest to confirm whether I have installed the camera correctly.

By the way, your blog is awesome.

Regrads
crazyhorse2000View attachment 423View attachment 424View attachment 425

Your house looks awesome and no I don't see anything in the way unless somehow IR is bouncing off the eve.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Apart from screwing the dome evenly are there any pointers you can suggest to confirm whether I have installed the camera correctly.
One way to tell whether it is the mounting location or the camera is to take the camera down, and at night, connect it to a really long patch cord and take it outdoors and point it straight up at the sky. If you still see the "fog" it would indicate a reflection or light bleed inside the camera. If it goes away then it would indicate that the problem is coming from how/where it was mounted.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Crazy Horse, did you resolve the IR bleed on that camera?
I'm in a similar boat.

I tested the same camera in house, with the lens at its factory position in the housing, somewhat of center to one side. No IR bleed.

Hung it under the eve, yesterday, did not touch or damage nor lose the foam ring. Tightened down evenly across all three screws. Made sure the dome was clean inside & out with an extra soft cloth.

I have a bit of fuzzyness/fog at night?
Which must be either IR bleed. And/or ambient light from surrounding pathways. And/or reflections of a nearby shrub and a car in the driveway.

My lens angle is pretty close to horizontal, as to capture 20+ feet away. Specifically picked this camera due to various adjustment features, and the fact that I knew that if I had a dome with the full ring of IR LEDs, a lot of them were going to be firing inside of the housing, doing me no good.

I guess I'll see if I can post up a picture.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I should have moved the vehicle around last night, but I was too tired.

I do realize there's a yard marker (from marking & measuring something unrelated) and vehicle in there; which are throwing off some reflections. I'm wondering without the vehicle & yard stick if it'll be better. Which I guess I'll try tonight, before making dome/camera adjustment etc my step 1.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I certainly need to get up the ladder.

The funny thing is, that I saw it switch to IR last night, before it got totally dark. Image was fine. Then as it got darker and darker out, the fog / ghost started to appear on the right hand side. I moved the vehicle. Turned off the lights, which I thought would make it better, but it is still there.

Dark out
+ it is the same with those remaining little lights blocked our out.

After sunset and before sunrise with auto IR

Maybe slightly different angle & zoom can help.
Will be triple checking the dome and refastening.

To be continued.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure wipe down the lens first. I have seen a smudge lens do this on the same camera.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good point. Will check that tomorrow.

I want to aim it up slightly higher to get 6ft of height farther in the distance. Would make it pretty much 90deg facing forward. Hopefully that's not going to make it worse if my issue relates to that.

Anyway will check tomorrow. It is raining cats & dogs right now with severe thunderstorms and flood warnings, then rain for the rest of the night. Yuk.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, as fenderman says, I've installed them, not noticed my fingerprints on the dome and it did that. What's weird is other brands do not do this.

As for the rain, we had that once in So Cal and it was awesome, can't wait to have rain again some day, maybe this winter.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Catseyenu asked me if my issue is/was resolved.

It is :)

Took me a few days to get to it, then other stuff got in the way and this moved off the foreground page.

Got the ladder up. Didn't really see anything obvious. Took the dome off. Wiped the camera lens twice with a lens/glasses cloth, wiped the inside of the dome twice, mounted the dome, wiped it twice. Waited for dark. Voila. Solved.

Installed a second one, identical to this one. Took the extra care of wiping everything twice, lens, inside dome, outside dome. No issue.

We'll see what happens with the others ;) [ after I figure the cabling runs out ]

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up, the dome of blur doom stories were giving me nightmares. ;-)

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Believe me, it certainly had me frustrated and worried I had a bum camera, with some issue I wouldn't be able to fix, as I thought I'd made sure that the dome was clean inside and out.

On the second one I installed, which required two ladders due structure positioning and surrounding landscaping clearance, I left them both up for a couple nights, just in case of an IR issue or if I felt I had to make an adjustment.

The key may be to give the lens a couple wipes. Zooming so the lens is forward makes it easier. Could also do it before you get up the ladder I guess :)