Hikvision 2432 SMB/CIFS Setup

dalepa

Reaction score
Decided to try out some internal features of Hikvision...

I can't seem to get SMB/CIFS to work on my 2432 (V5.1.0). I've tried sharing from Windows 8, and from my ASUS router SMB service which are both accessible from my windows 8 box.

After adding the SMB/CIFS drives under the NAS tab, the Storage Tab just shows drives as Offline.

Tips?

enf70

n3wb
Reaction score
In the NAS tab, for the "File path" - try using a "/" or a "\" prefix for the share name.

camwhore

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings.

Just purchased a DS-2CD2432F-IW 2.8mm on Friday and currently awaiting its arrival. I'm going to be attempting the same as yourself with SMB/CIFS with my server which runs Windows Home Server 2011 so will be watching this post with interest. I'll post in here with my foray into getting this cam to upload data via Windows shares.

Just for info and in the interests of knowledge sharing, have you tried enabling NFS on any Windows O/Ss? Might be another option for you. I've had NFS shares working and accessible to other platforms from Windows before but as I'm a cam virgin, not tried access from such but thought it was worth mentioning.

I will be trying both methods to gauge success/reliability once the 2432 arrives so will let you know how I get on if you're interested.

If you've not done NFS shares from Windows before, the following I just found covers it in a nutshell to save me writing out the basic method of installing and enabling the services.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/12/23/guide-setting-up-nfs-in-whs-2011/

Pretty much all Windows desktop and server O/Ss that I've come across to press utilise the same methodology as in the link above but I've not played with Windows 8 yet so it might be different, if so, my apologies but thought it worth contributing the above for anyone else who might make use of it while searching for such info.

Cheers,

Camwhore.

dalepa

Reaction score
really. / works

Sorta... During format, the camera created datadir0-6 and then created 294 empty files in datadir0 then hangs at 33% done.

Update: That was a a bad experience.... after waiting 10 minutes I had the unplug the camera (reboot failed) and after reboot the camera alarm went off. Had to delete the storage and reboot... back to normal now.

In the NAS tab, for the "File path" - try using a "/" or a "\" prefix for the share name.

enf70

n3wb
Reaction score
I am using "/" on a Linux Samba server and "\" on a Windows server.
Using "\" on Linux results in creating all files in the root of the share (instead into datadir directories) - all files created are prefixed with "\".
It seems the camera derives the UNC delimiter from the share path.

On my storage (100GB partition allocated for each camera) it creates 2 directories "datadir0" and "datadir1" and around 200 files in each during formatting.
Format takes around 1 minute.

I think the camera software assumes it can use the entire share size for recording so it's better to create and share dedicated partitions on the network drive.

I've attached my SMB/CIFS NAS config.

Attachments

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
really. / works

Sorta... During format, the camera created datadir0-6 and then created 294 empty files in datadir0 then hangs at 33% done.

Update: That was a a bad experience.... after waiting 10 minutes I had the unplug the camera (reboot failed) and after reboot the camera alarm went off. Had to delete the storage and reboot... back to normal now.
Does it actually format the location? I haven't been confident enough to hit Format as it's pointing to my NAS with important data on there. I have created a unique user and password for the Hikvision but I'm still nervous to hit format. I'm guessing it's not as you specify a folder location, is it more an initialisation?

Thanks,
Rob

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't been confident enough to hit Format as it's pointing to my NAS with important data on there.
Format is a bit of a misnomer - what it does is to create a framework of a few folders and a large number of placeholder files and some indexes on the target share.
The target share needs to be exclusive to the camera and blank - so there should not be any of your data visible anyway.
Depending on the camera firmware version, there may be a ceiling size of the target share above which it won't be able to 'format' it.
If so - maybe your NAS has a facility to define the volume size (not the free space) or apply per-user quotas.

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok thanks, will give it a crack this weekend.

When you say it needs to be exclusive to the camera, can it be a unique folder location? I have set up a completely separate user on the NAS but if I add more cameras, not sure I want to have this many users

Thanks again,
Rob

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The destination location will have to be per camera, the user can be common, given the right access controls across the shares.
I think, but I'm not sure because I seem to recall it's firmware-version dependent, that on the cameras the path can't be a folder below the share but must be a share.
But you'll find out quite easily what's possible with yours.

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your help but it seems I have no idea what settings the Hikvision needs to connect to my NAS!

Have connected a lot of devices to my NAS but not the Hikvision. There aren't that many things to enter for the connection! IP address, location, log in and password.

Same details work for my Brickcom cameras so I don't know what else to try. Test comes up with ok eventually but the spinning circle just continues. Save says OK, but storage tab says the storage is offline.

Any suggestions? Do you need more detail?

Thanks,
Rob

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the volume size? Not the free space - the size.
There is a fair chance, firmware-version-dependent, that you may have exceeded the approx. 200GB volume size above which the camera does not handle the NAS storage location.
The symptoms would generally be that it appears to 'format' OK, but when you go back to the configuration screen it shows 'uninitiallised' or 'offline'.
Did you try using '/sharename' as the destination path?

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
200GB limit on the volume size? Yeah way over that, 4TB. Hmmm wouldn't be keen on adding a volume normally but I had to replace a drive a fortnight ago and increased it to 6TB but the mirrored volume is only 4TB so have some GB there!

When you say '/sharename', are you referring to the syntax or just that I have provided a location? I currently have home/064Test (case sensitive all correct). I don't think the NAS accepts saving to the root (never tried but I don't like to save to the root) so I automatically provided a location. Each user gets a 'home' folder and then I gave it a sub folder. I have tried /home/064Test and /home/064Test/ but get an error complaining invalid directory. home/064Test and home/064Test/ both seem ok when I click Test, well I get an OK but the icon in the prompt box is still the spinning circle. Status for the NAS remains offline at all times.

I will try to set up the extra volume (never done that before) and see if I have some more success.

Thanks again,
Rob

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like it wants to give me the option to add an additional volume using the spare space. I have a Synology NAS running DSM 6.

I'll try to get FTP working

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think the NAS accepts saving to the root (never tried but I don't like to save to the root) so I automatically provided a location.
It's only the root of the share, which can start from any point in the file system.

There are a couple of things that may be worth trying - they work OK on my QNAP NAS, so should also work on Synology:
With an SMB/CIFS share you should be able to apply a per-user size quota.
Does your NAS have the 'Logical Volume Manager' facility to allow you to create a 'flexible volume' of defined size? It sounds from your comment that it may not have.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm trying to setup a LTS CMIP8222 to write to a network share without using an NVR. When I tell it to format the share, it says "complete" but then the share is still uninitialized.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I managed to get it to connect to a Samba network share and initialize, but now I cannot get events to trigger and record to the network share.

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's only the root of the share, which can start from any point in the file system.

There are a couple of things that may be worth trying - they work OK on my QNAP NAS, so should also work on Synology:
With an SMB/CIFS share you should be able to apply a per-user size quota.
Does your NAS have the 'Logical Volume Manager' facility to allow you to create a 'flexible volume' of defined size? It sounds from your comment that it may not have.
I was able to set up a quota but that still didn't work. Seems I can't edit my current volume and add a new one, so that's a no go. I'll try FTP when I get some time

Bigboboz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I managed to get it to connect to a Samba network share and initialize, but now I cannot get events to trigger and record to the network share.
What did you do to get it to work and what is the target space? NAS, PC?

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Although it does not help my true task, I have successfully implemented sharing a Linux folder...it's been writing to it all day; however, I have 70 Win7 Pro boxes that need to receive files from a camera (LTS/Hikvision) to a folder share.

1. On one machine, we can authenticate a SMB/CIFS test, but cannot initialize.
  2. On a second machine, we can initialize for a few moments and record triggered events, but then it drops it, and we have format again in a few minutes.

I am unable to use a software NVR, nor a hardware NVR. I need to be able to setup each location with one camera writing to a network share on the local machine at each office.

jacngo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

For NAS share SMB/CIFS on windows 7, you need to setup sharing and grant a user RW permission. Then you go to the properties of the share folder and add the same user to the NTFS permission to all all permission on the folder. So you basically need to enable 2 things. Then you map the share by supplying the IP address of the NAS server the /sharename/..etc

The main trick afterwards is you need to format the share for EACH camera, once the share has been formatted you should see lots of funny folders created and the volume should be initialised. The format just creates the folders neccessary to store the video streams and doesn't format the volume. As stated it creates the folders.

Hope that helps.