Hikvision 5.2.5 firmware compatible NVR?

carpii

n3wb
Reaction score
You sure you don't have the DS-7608NI-E2/8P ? The I2 is only just out and is a H.265 model.
Oops, you're right. I have the E2 model

1) Mac - Use Firefox, poor Mac support is something you hopefully knew before you bought a Mac, this is more a problem for Apple than Hikvision/Dahua or whoever. I expect Windows Edge / Chrome support will follow soon
True, I wasn't apportioning blame to Hikvision, just stating the reality of the situation

2) I've only ever got this working with Dahua, I don't think it works
Thats a shame, it would be really useful and address a lot of my criticisms if it automatically took you to the relevant point in time in the recording.
Initially it couldn't get the 'push token' from the NVR, but then something changed and that started working. Still no notifications though, but as far as the NVR is concerned its apparently all been configured correctly.

4) Documentation is crap... agreed. NVR can't do motion detection, it's all being done by the camera (if you really wanted to know you could've found out here).
I think I did ask at some point, but from what I recall it wasn't that conclusive. Maybe I'm thinking of a different forum though

compared to Blue Iris it's not in the same league
You're saying Blue Iris is much more powerful and configurable? This is great news if so. I cannot try it yet until I get a PoE switch since all my cams rely on the NVR for power

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Actually, I do blame Hikvision a little for the Mac and rubbish plug-in support. I'm going to play with the push notifications though when I have some time.

I don't use Blue Iris yet, I will. You can still use your NVR as a fancy PoE switch by plugging the Blue Iris PC into a spare PoE port. This will let you try before you buy.

joshmac

n3wb
Reaction score
I've have decided to go with the DS-7608NI-E2 with no POE. I got it on ebay for $189 US and its coming via DHL (sadly excited about it). I decided to give it a try, if I'm not happy with it, ill just upgrade to the I2.
I know its slightly off topic here, but does anyone have any experience with GeoVision? It seams overly feature packed and expandable. GeoVision vs Blue Iris?

joshmac

n3wb
Reaction score
I received my DS07608NI-E2 today. Wow that was easy to setup and I couldn't be happier with the unit. It seams to handle my 6 cams on 1080 with no issues, but struggles a bit when I push them all to 3MP :).

Can anyone help me with recording time for 8x 1080 cams on 3TB? Im heading off tomorrow to pick up a WD Purple 3TB, Ive read they are the best for CCTV recording.

Thanks,
Josh

Just thought I'd share where I got it from. From eBay from a seller named "amandacams", cheapest on ebay and took 5 days to get to me via DHL. Very friendly and was prompt to answer my questions.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
8 cameras at a max bitrate of 4096kbps on a 3TB HDD (about 2.7 or so actual storage), will get you about 7 days continuous.

joshmac

n3wb
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share the current situation with the new NVR in case anyone was curious or anyone else was passing through looking for details like I was.

I've fitted the 3TB WD Surveillance 3.5" Drive I picked last week and it has been recording continuously since then (now 7 days). Current HDD usage is 1687.52GB used and 1107.00GB free so is averaging 241GB per day.

All 6 x DS-2CD2532s are all running the same video config
Main -1920x1080p, max frames, 4096kbps and audio disabled.
Sub - 352x288, 10fps, 512kbps and audio disabled.

I was a bit worried about vibration noise so I mounted the hard drive sitting on little rubber grommets I had left over from a PC build years ago (1 point for PC part hoarders), what I didn't expect was the noise that comes from the tiny little 40mm fan that runs on full constantly like a turbine. I'm working on a way it can be automatically temperature connected.

The power supply supplied was 12v @ 3.3A DC and is always at a temperature I'd struggle to even consider warm. I think it would have been the same power supply shipped with the 8ch POE version, however I opted for the non-POE version as my POE is handled separately, so with no cameras connected its on easy street. I plan on running it on a 390W UPS along with the switch, POE injector and modem.

Many thanks for the inputs and suggestions so far.

241GB per day, 10.04GB per hour, 0.167GB (171.4MB) per minute, 28.57MB per cam/per minute, 365.7KB (2925kbps) per cam/per second (Roughly... That was bugging me since I started this post)