Hikvision 7608NI and 8 cams?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Complete newb here. Moving into a new house next year and have been researching security systems for a while. Going it have the builder run Cat6 cables to probably some 8 exterior locations.

reading networkcameracritic's site I think I'm settling on Hikvision 2532, 3332, and possibly a couple 2032 bullets. Still contemplating. Might upload a floor plan as I could probably use some help on placement if that's okay!

i was wondering about getting the NVR 7608NI to run the 8 cameras as it appears fairly plug and play. Just curious if:

1. How many days will the software allow me to record/store at one time assuming say a 3tb drive (I've heard some software limits the days to under a week which I would think could be problematic for 7 day vacations for instance?)

2. Whether the system can support that many hidef cameras

3. If anyone knows if the android app for it is decent.

other cons or things I should be thinking about that would make me reconsider the NVR?

Thanks!

Steve

Mel42

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1. If you use motion detection you should get well over a week, I have one 2tb drive with 6 cams and have over 2 months with less than half the drive used up. Of course it depends on how much motion you pick up, quality settings etc. Not sure how long I would get with constant recording as I have not tried.

2. I have no problems with 6 cams, four at 3mp and the other two at 2mp.

3. Works ok no complaints

"other cons or things I should be thinking about that would make me reconsider the NVR?"
You may want to consider the non-POE version of the 7608 using an external POEswitch,
It is cheaper (I paid $180, unit with POE was $350)(extra 2 external switch’s $84)

Allows direct access to all cams from any computer on the network

Allows you to connect a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] NVR to all cams (I have ION NVR in the living room viewing 6 cams)

Easier to install (instead of running all 6-8 cables from the cams into thehouse I mount the switches in the crawl space and run two cables into the house to my router, I can then place the 7608 anywhere in the house that has network access.

Last edited by a moderator:

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I assume the unit is capable of running 8 cams. What are the benefits of building a DIY NVR vs using one of these (outside of cost)? Just flexibility,ie the ability to use any brand of camera and software?

how are you liking the software that comes with it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The standalone NVR is more reliable overall. They rarely crash if ever. They consume on average less power than pc based NVR. However they are way less flexible in terms of cameras that work with the NVR, the motion detection settings, notifications etc.. Its a matter of preference really...

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. Leaning towards NVR in this case. Wondering how the Eyesurv one compares to the Hikvision (given the enormous price difference could pretty much buy 2 of the Eyesurv's for the same price and it sounds like they will shortly come out with a firmware update for the Hikvision cams), will have to do more reading.

Nova

n3wb
Reaction score
I emailed Nelly's on the Eyesurv and asked about an update for Hikvision, this is the reply:
It is possible in the future that we may have a firmware that will record motion detection on Hikvision cameras. As of right now we don't know when or have a timeframe of how long it might be before this happens. Currently the ION does record motion on any of our Eyesurv cameras.
Thanks,
Ryan O'Daniel
Nelly's Security

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I have a 7608NI/SE-8P and an ESDV-NVRION-8. The Hikvision NVR is my main unit I use on a regular basis and it works great. I haven't had any issues with it so far and I like the interfaces. Whether it be cell phone, web, or directly at the NVR. It's easy to use, laid out well, and finding/saving video on playback is a breeze. The ION I use as a secondary backup NVR in case something happens to the 7608. The ION is a great little NVR and works well with EYEsurv cameras as well as recording continuously with Hikvision cameras. Waiting around for a firmware to come out would probably be a huge waste of time. The ION is a good NVR but without all the "bells and whistles" with other more expensive NVRs. I would say go with the 7608 if you want solid performance with Hikvision cameras or go with the ION if you want solid performance with EYEsurv cameras. Hope this helps.

dr.

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. Leaning towards NVR in this case. Wondering how the Eyesurv one compares to the Hikvision (given the enormous price difference could pretty much buy 2 of the Eyesurv's for the same price and it sounds like they will shortly come out with a firmware update for the Hikvision cams), will have to do more reading.
[h=1]DS-7108N-SN
[/h]English version will be coming out soon for hikvision if it isn't out already. ~$100 shipped from China today.

You won't see that ION support hikvision anytime soon as they just rebadge someone else's unit.

3TB and 8 cams can vary. Storage should be 30-60 days depending on settings and motion record.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DS-7108N-SN

English version will be coming out soon for hikvision if it isn't out already. ~$100 shipped from China today.

You won't see that ION support hikvision anytime soon as they just rebadge someone else's unit.

3TB and 8 cams can vary. Storage should be 30-60 days depending on settings and motion record.
Where did you see this for 100? Tx

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DS-7108N-SN

English version will be coming out soon for hikvision if it isn't out already. ~$100 shipped from China today.

just realized the cameras would have to be run in 2mp mode with this particular unit,would probably just opt for the 7608 for a bit more dollars unless this unit has other advantages?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont know about other advantages, but on hikvision, 2mp mode gives you a wider field of view. You may end up running 2mp anyways like i do on hiks....