Hikvision 7608NI-I2/8P PoE failed?

keltorsori

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two 7608NI-I2 that appear to have blown PoE. I have factory reset them both, have double-checked that the PoE ports are enabled under Camera Management, etc. I get a brief blip of the power/activity lights on the PoE ports when it first powers on, but otherwise not a thing.

Both are running 4.1.64 build 190119 and I get a network connection from the ports, just no power (if I plug in an already powered device port lights up and all is well).

Is there a fuse or something that I may have blown? It’s crazy I have two with the same problem...
Any thoughts greatly appreciated! Thanks y’all!

Last edited:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
did you recently 'upgrade' firmware? sometimes the wrong firmware version can leave things like PoE not working...

Did you have working PoE cams before? or are you just trying to add some now and notice?...

keltorsori

n3wb
Reaction score
Definitely the right firmware version. Just trying to add now and previously had all cameras run on separate PoE switches, just trying to consolidate some things.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
previously had all cameras run on separate PoE switches,
Does this mean that the NVR PoE channels were all set to 'Manual mode' with LAN IP addresses as opposed to their original PoE IP addresses, ie the usual default of 192.168.254.x ?

If so - as a bit of a long shot, maybe try this on one of the NVRs :

In the NVR VGA/HDMI interface, verify that the 'Internal NIC' address is 192.168.254.1
If not, change to that.

In the NVR web GUI, Camera Configuration, pick one channel, say channel 1, and change the IP address to 192.168.254.2
Then check if the PoE function is active when plugging a camera in.
And maybe do that on all channels, sequential IP addresses, if no result with one.

keltorsori

n3wb
Reaction score
They were, but I’ve already reset to factory default, so all settings are back to out of the box original, including PoE settings and the port settings under camera management.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
What sort of Cams are you trying to add?...

from the manual:

Step 1 Connect PoE cameras to device PoE ports with network cables.
Step 2 Go to Camera > Camera > IP Camera to view camera image and information.
3.2.2 Add Non-PoE IP Cameras
You can disable the PoE interface by selecting (the) manual while the current channel can be used as
a normal channel and the parameters can also be edited.

This seems to imply that one can EITHER use plug-in-play (hikvision cams) with PoE,
OR use other (non Hik) cams added manually without PoE...

Seems odd, as my DS-7816N-E2/8P certainly allows Onvif (non-hik) cams to be added to PoE ports.
But maybe they changed that in order to make the system more proprietary, ie, more incentive to use Hik cams only...

edit: Of course, English translations of Chinese manuals are notoriously um, inscruitable sometimes...

keltorsori

n3wb
Reaction score
Brand new, official Hikvision cameras. I’ve tried some 2345’s, among others. Cameras also set to factory default.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
the only other thing that comes to mind is maybe the hik region mis-match thing...
eg, maybe your NVR is a US version, but your cams are chinese/hacked or some other incompatible version?
(or vice-versa: hacked chinese NVR with legit western-region cams?...)
you'd think there'd be an explicit 'version mismatch' error or somesuch in that case.

should be able to tell from the serial numbers of the NVRs and cams as displayed in SADP tool...

edit: that probably makes no sense, given that PoE would have to be enabled for the cam to power up and be detected as incompatible...

keltorsori

n3wb
Reaction score
All genuine US. I don’t buy anything grey market these days after I got burned once on the CN problem a few years ago.
Also, even if it was something along those lines it would make sense that it would at least power the camera, see it’s region mismatched and then it would complain. No power period. But again, the ports work for network (if I use an external 12v adapter camera will power up and network connection and auto confit works fine.
I have tried toggling PoE in the camera management configuration, saving, rebooting, turning it back on, etc...
Maybe it’s a firmware thing, but I know I can’t downgrade very far.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
All genuine US.
In that case - maybe Hikvision Tech Support might respond to you.
Sometimes they actually help their customers ...

I have two 7608NI-I2 that appear to have blown PoE.
Was it a firmware update that triggered this problem?
If so, was the previous firmware old enough that the downgrade block would prevent re-installation?
Some prior versions here : DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL

keltorsori

n3wb
Reaction score
In that case - maybe Hikvision Tech Support might respond to you.
Sometimes they actually help their customers ...

Was it a firmware update that triggered this problem?
If so, was the previous firmware old enough that the downgrade block would prevent re-installation?
Some prior versions here : DOWNLOAD EU PORTAL
Due to the cameras all previously being powered by a separate PoE switch, I don’t have a definitive answer on whether firmware upgrade triggered.

I do plan on reaching out to Hikvision tomorrow, they tend to be pretty good, but I find they also often just want to have you repeat the same scripted support steps over and over again. Also, I had hoped that maybe some magical person had run across this issue before. It’s also possible that I am some sort of magical unicorn and just happen to have two units that have failed PoE power but working networking. It’s bizarre and I will update this thread if I hear anything useful back from Hikvision.

I really appreciate the responses I’ve gotten from y’all, honestly.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have not had good luck with Hikvision support. Hikvision only sells and supports distributors. They normally do not support end users.
You can reach out to the company you purchased the Hikvision from .

keltorsori

n3wb
Reaction score
So...
Hikvision told me to setup an RMA, which I may do.
Out of a bit of desperation I TFTP restored the firmware on both of them to 4.1.64. Lo and behold one of the two now has functioning PoE ports!
The other, I'm pretty sure must have a board issue. I'm going to keep tinkering and see if I can figure it out.
Thanks to everyone for your ideas so far.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I TFTP restored the firmware on both of them to 4.1.64. Lo and behold one of the two now has functioning PoE ports!
Interesting.
That's the same version they were running?
Sounds like a bug if a same-version firmware refresh changes things, and a reset to defaults didn't.

keltorsori

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting.
That's the same version they were running?
Sounds like a bug if a same-version firmware refresh changes things, and a reset to defaults didn't.
Yup. That's what I was thinking too, but Hikvision just gave me the standard "setup an RMA"...