Hikvision and POE

pdobrien3

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently installed two of the Hikvision 4 meg dome cameras at my residence. The first was a piece of cake. Plugged it into my POE switch and it was up and running in seconds. Second one, not so much. After it didn't power up, I changed the ends to make sure my terminations were good. When that didn't work, I re-pulled the Cat 6 cable as I though I had a crimp/bend/break. That didn't work. It is a fairly long run but I don't think it hits to 300 feet of Cat 6. My guess it is close to 120-150 feet on the conservative side.

After that, the only thing I could turn to was the terminations. I checked the package and found out they are in fact 5e terminators. What is the chance this is my issue? Anyone else experienced this?

Terminators are cheap and I am going to try but curious what my next step should be if that doesn't work? I know the switch works, I plugged the working camera in both ports. I also know the camera worked before it went up as I tested it.

Looking for people with similar circumstances. The plug for the garage door opener is not far from the camera. Is there a hard wire solution that I can look at wiring direct to the plug as the plug is already full with a z-wave garage door opener and the garage door opener.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Dan

cutterman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 5e RJ45 connectors should be fine. Couple of additional troubleshooting steps would include connecting the camera to the POE switch using a short known-good cable and connecting a known-good device to the end of the cat 6 run or using a cable tester.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I know the switch works, I plugged the working camera in both ports. I also know the camera worked before it went up as I tested it.
How do you know the cable is wired correctly? Not simple continuity that a cheap tester will confirm, but getting the twisted pairs in the correct sequence?

pdobrien3

n3wb
Reaction score
How do you know the cable is wired correctly? Not simple continuity that a cheap tester will confirm, but getting the twisted pairs in the correct sequence?
Not sure that I do other than I have wired tons of terminators successfully. Also, I can see through the clear terminator and see the colored sequence. Do you know an easy way to test? My other fear with the Cat5e terminators is that they are made for thinner wire than cat6. I wonder if that is an issue. Open to all suggestions.

Thanks,
Dan

pdobrien3

n3wb
Reaction score
The 5e RJ45 connectors should be fine. Couple of additional troubleshooting steps would include connecting the camera to the POE switch using a short known-good cable and connecting a known-good device to the end of the cat 6 run or using a cable tester.
Cable tester and shorter cable to the POE switch tonight.....I had the camera running on a short cable before the install but I guess something could have gone wrong during install. Thanks for the idea!!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure that I do other than I have wired tons of terminators successfully. Also, I can see through the clear terminator and see the colored sequence. Do you know an easy way to test? My other fear with the Cat5e terminators is that they are made for thinner wire than cat6. I wonder if that is an issue. Open to all suggestions.

Thanks,
Dan
How did you wire the connections? Did you use the 568 standard? that is what alastair is asking..

pdobrien3

n3wb
Reaction score
Left to right with clip down. Orange white orange. Green white blue. Blue white green brown white brown.

I got my hands on a VDV map master 2.0 which I believe will tell me 1) if the wire is good and 2) if they are wired the same at both ends.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Left to right with clip down. Orange white orange. Green white blue. Blue white green brown white brown.

I got my hands on a VDV map master 2.0 which I believe will tell me 1) if the wire is good and 2) if they are wired the same at both ends.
are you using quality copper cable or is it CCA copper clad aluminium?

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently installed two of the Hikvision 4 meg dome cameras at my residence. The first was a piece of cake. Plugged it into my POE switch and it was up and running in seconds. Second one, not so much. After it didn't power up, I changed the ends to make sure my terminations were good. When that didn't work, I re-pulled the Cat 6 cable as I though I had a crimp/bend/break. That didn't work. It is a fairly long run but I don't think it hits to 300 feet of Cat 6. My guess it is close to 120-150 feet on the conservative side.

After that, the only thing I could turn to was the terminations. I checked the package and found out they are in fact 5e terminators. What is the chance this is my issue? Anyone else experienced this?

Terminators are cheap and I am going to try but curious what my next step should be if that doesn't work? I know the switch works, I plugged the working camera in both ports. I also know the camera worked before it went up as I tested it.

Looking for people with similar circumstances. The plug for the garage door opener is not far from the camera. Is there a hard wire solution that I can look at wiring direct to the plug as the plug is already full with a z-wave garage door opener and the garage door opener.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Dan
How do you know the camera didn't power up? Also if this is your first time setting these cameras up you will need to do one at a time. Do the first camera and give it a ip adderss then reserve that address in your router. Then do the same for the second one. My thinking is your setting them up at the same time and their is a ip conflict so the second one can't be reached and you're thinking it's not powered up.

pdobrien3

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for all the support. Awesome suggestions from everyone. It was the termination. New cat6 terminators on each end and it fired right up. Also kudos to the VDV Mapmaster 2.0. Not only did it tell me the first set of terminations were bad, it confirmed the second set were good and all in their proper place. Wish I would have checked that yesterday before I pulled the second wire.

Thanks again,
Dan

pdobrien3

n3wb
Reaction score
As a side note, anyone have tips, tricks, or product suggestions on terminators? I was on an extension ladder for about 45 min trying to get those 8 little wires in the right hole. I can't imagine people who make money doing things involving cat5/6 cable would bring home a profit if every end took that long.

cutterman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use 2.5x loupes and having a proper crimper with built in wire cutter helps a lot. Make sure wires are as straight as possible and lined up before you trim them to insert in plug.

LaurentR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ez rj45 connectors by platinum tools make the job much easier
I second that. If you use them as per the instructions (including stripping a fair length and straightening it properly), the Ez RJ45 connectors are a breeze to do, requiring only ordering the wires properly. Much easier than the traditional Cat6 2-piece connectors, or pretty much anything else.

You do need to have the right gauge for the connectors and the Ez RJ45 crimp tool.

pdobrien3

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. I will look into the ez rj45 connectors.