Hikvision camera DS-2CD2385FWD-I is dead - what to do

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What IP address does SADP show for the camera, and the NVR?

John rex

n3wb
Reaction score
NVR is 192.168.1.xx
Camera is 192.168.254.x

The NVR has a gateway address but the camera has 0.0.0.0.

Also, how do I make the camera work when take it up to connect? Thanks

John rex

n3wb
Reaction score
Just to let you know, the only way I see the camera in the tool is to switch the power off and then back on again. It stays for about a minute before it disappears again. Not sure what the reason us

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like it's booting up and crashing.
With just a minute while live - I wonder if that's long enough to manage to change the IP address.
Does that model have an external reset button?
I'm thinking a reset to defaults if at all possible might be worth a try.

John rex

n3wb
Reaction score
I will investigate how I can do the reset. However, I guess even if the camera is stable in Sadptool, that may not answer why the camera is offline when conbectco.

Is there any other thing I can do to make the camera work again and the images show on the monitor? Thank you for your help.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
However, I guess even if the camera is stable in Sadptool, that may not answer why the camera is offline when conbectco.
That's true - but SADP has provided a clue - that the camera goes a good way along the bootup and then fails, so not totally dead.
Presumably that means that you see a 'link detect' on the router port after power up that goes away after a minute or so?

Is there any other thing I can do to make the camera work again and the images show on the monitor?
I think the answer to that depends on being able to determine the cause of the problem, and maybe a solution.
It's hard to say just now.

John rex

n3wb
Reaction score
I think the issue of the camera appearing and disappearing in SADPTool was because of Wi-Fi. I decided to connect the laptop directly to the router with a patch cable and this made the camera appear stable in the SADPTool.

I was able to connect the camera to the router directly and with a power source and I was able to view images from my laptop after I have enabled DHCP.

However, when I take the camera and plug it to the NVR with the same patch cable and power source, the NVR monitor still showed no link.

I then tried to change the configuration settings of the NVR/Camera via the browser. While there, my second camera stopped working. I had to change it from "plug and Play" to Manual where I manually set the IP address and password. This second camera is working now, but when I change it to plug and play, it stopped working. I decided to leave it as manual, not sure what impact this will have.

Then to the camera with the issue...It doesnt work when connected to NVR, either with manual or "plug and play" setting". I think the issue might be due to the ip/gateway addresses.

My NVR IP address is 192.168.1.xx and gateway is 192.168.1.xxx.
All my three working cameras have IP addresses as 192.168.254.x

When DHCP is enabled for the fourth camera (the one with the issue), I am able to view it from my laptop and the dynamically assigned ip was 192.168.1.100 (please note how this is different from the other OK cameras). The gateway address is 191.168.1.xxx (I am not sure whether I manually changed this gateway!!!). I tried to change the dynamic IP address to an address that is similar to other 3 cameras (192.168.254.x), but still could not view it from NVR monitor. Same problem occurred when I tried to change the ip address from the NVR/Camera configuration menu to the DHCP IP(192.168.1.100), which is different from other 3 cameras. From this configuration screen, the status of this camera is showing "Offline(Network Abnormal)". I think this may have to due with this different IP addresses. This is where I need help from you expert.

I am still puzzled as to why the camera will stop working all of sudden and why I need external power source outside the power from the connection cable.

Apologies for the long note....Just trying to detail what I have been doing since yesterday...Haven't done any other thing!!!.

One more thing, do I need to cover the connection point/cable outside where the camera was originally connected to? I removed the camera but did not cover it. I hope the head doesn't get spoil with rain/water/damp.

Thank you for your help:)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Then to the camera with the issue...It doesnt work when connected to NVR, either with manual or "plug and play" setting". I think the issue might be due to the ip/gateway addresses.
You'd said earlier that the camera was not getting power from the NVR - there was no 'link detect' light on the NVR PoE port the camera was connected to.
So it sounds like we can now discount that symptom, unless the RJ45 end is giving an intermittent connection.

Suggestion:
In the NVR web GUI, under Camera Configuration, note down the IP address that the channel you want to connect the camera to is set to.
As you have seen, it will be something in the range 192.168.254.x
Have the NVR channel set to Manual mode. There is no problem with the channel being in Manual instead of Plug & Play - it just gives you control instead of the NVR.

With the camera powered from the 12v and connected to the LAN use SADP to access the camera.
Change the camera IP address to be the one you noted down from the NVR channel you are going to connect the camera to.
Set the camera Default Gateway to 192.168.254.1
Disconnect the camera from the 12v supply and the LAN, connect it to the selected NVR PoE port.
Give it a couple of minutes and it should appear in Live View.

One more thing, do I need to cover the connection point/cable outside where the camera was originally connected to? I removed the camera but did not cover it. I hope the head doesn't get spoil with rain/water/damp.
Absolutely you do - rain or water will quickly ruin that connection, especially when PoE is active when the cable is connected to the NVR.
In fact - check carefully, with a magnifying glass, the connections in the RJ45 end at the camera to confirm there is no corrosion.
Was that joint originally fully sealed?

John rex

n3wb
Reaction score
Change the camera IP address to be the one you noted down from the NVR channel you are going to connect the camera to.
Set the camera Default Gateway to 192.168.254.1
Please did you mean default gateway of 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.254.1. I guess you meant 192.168.1.254 as that is the default gateway of the NVR?

John rex

n3wb
Reaction score
Made the changes and the camera worked when connected to NVR with an internet cable. However, as soon as the power source is disconnected, it stopped working and the indicator light at the NVR connection point stopped. I am not sure why the camera could not work without the power source. Tomorrow, I will try connecting it to the cable outside where it was connected before and see whether it will work.

If the camera is damaged, could it be because it always switches from day to the infrared at night multiple times as I have a security light pointing in same area and cats and boiler smoke always trigger the light. Each time the security light is triggered, the camera switches to night mode. If this is the cause, then when I buy a new camera, I will explore how it can permanently be configured to night mode only. Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like the PoE circuit in the camera has failed if it's only working when powered from the 12v supply.
Just as an extra check to confirm it's not the PoE circuit of the NVR port - if you temporarily connect the camera to a different NVR PoE port does the link detect light come on?

John rex

n3wb
Reaction score
No link detect light even when connected to 2 different NVR ports. Thanks

John rex

n3wb
Reaction score
It seems the camera is the fault. May have to buy another one. Thank you for your help.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Alternatively, you could power the camera with 12v from an active PoE splitter on the end of the Ethernet cable at the camera end, if there is room to locate it.

John rex

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I will buy the POE splitter but alot if reviews on Amazon complain that it does get hot. Please, do you think it will be durable and safe to put the splitter inside the camera housing - the part that's is screwed to the wall? Thanks

John rex

n3wb
Reaction score
No, I haven't. Sorry it's my fault. It was dark when I came back from work yesterday. Will do that today and try to install the non-working camera until I buy the active poe splitter or a new camera.

Please do you think it will be ok to install the Poe splitter in the camera wall case? Thanks

John rex

n3wb
Reaction score
Alternatively, you could power the camera with 12v from an active PoE splitter on the end of the Ethernet cable at the camera end, if there is room to locate it.
Bought the PoE splitter but still did not work. I think I have to another camera, but I wanted to find out from you if it's possible to set such camera to permanent night mode as I feel that the intermittent switch of the existing camera from day to night mode and vice versa due to constant trigger of the security light may have contributed to the demise of the camera. Thank you.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Bought the PoE splitter but still did not work.
What type of splitter was this?
The most suitable type would be an 'Active splitter' that would provide a 12V DC supply local to the camera as an alternative to using PoE for power, in case the PoE circuitry had failed.
It sounds like the PoE circuit in the camera has failed if it's only working when powered from the 12v supply.
You'd already confirmed that the camera worked when powered by 12V DC.

I feel that the intermittent switch of the existing camera from day to night mode and vice versa due to constant trigger of the security light may have contributed to the demise of the camera.
With respect, I seriously doubt that.
Even if the IR Cut filter stuck of failed it would not cause the camera to fail, it would affect the resultant video.
Stuck off - odd colours in day mode such as pink grass, OK at night.
Stuck on - dark images in night mode at night, OK in the day.