Hikvision Cameras: "Draw Area" button does nothing?

JohnC

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 3 Hikvision cameras that I'm trying to play around with on-camera motion detection and virtual plane traversal. They are two DS-2CD2032-I (firmware: 5.1.6 build 140612) and one DS-2CD2342WD-I (5.4.1 build 160525). These are authentic Hikvision cameras.

Whenever I try to draw Motion Detection areas by clicking the "Draw Area" button on any of the Event configurations, nothing happens on any camera...ever...in any browser. Webcomponents is installed and I've tried it in Internet Explorer, Firefox 50.1.0, and Chrome 43 (with NPAPI activated). I have no addons installed with any of the browsers. Javascript is enabled. I've also tried this in Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Am I going crazy here? Has anyone else experienced this? I've tried Google, but don't find anything.

Thanks

JohnC

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I've pressed and held..."Clicked, moved, then clicked"...everything. From screenshots I've seen, I understand that a red grid outline should appear as an overlay on the preview image but I never get that.

I'm curious to know what your setup is if you have it working?

Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The symptoms point to webcomponents not being active on the browsers.
But normally the cameras would complain about that, so possibly there is a fault in the webcomponents installation.

Maybe check it this way :
In IE11, bring up a camera web GUI, to load the add-on.
Click the IE11 Setup wheel, select Manage Add-ons
You should see the WebVideoActiveX Control from Hikvision.
Click the entry
Check status=enabled
Check file version.
The current one is believed to be 3.0.6.8 23rd September.

Maybe also de-install it and re-install when a camera complains about no plug-in.
Also here is the installer for the 3.0.6.8 version : WebComponents.exe

JohnC

n3wb
Reaction score
The symptoms point to webcomponents not being active on the browsers.
But normally the cameras would complain about that, so possibly there is a fault in the webcomponents installation.

Maybe check it this way :
In IE11, bring up a camera web GUI, to load the add-on.
Click the IE11 Setup wheel, select Manage Add-ons
You should see the WebVideoActiveX Control from Hikvision.
Click the entry
Check status=enabled
Check file version.
The current one is believed to be 3.0.6.8 23rd September.

Maybe also de-install it and re-install when a camera complains about no plug-in.
Also here is the installer for the 3.0.6.8 version : WebComponents.exe
Thanks for replying. I completely uninstalled WebComponents and reinstalled the version from your Google drive link. For me, that installs 3.0.6.6. I checked the Add-ons section in IE11 and it's enabled. I can preview the camera's image but still am unable to draw any areas. I've included a screen capture

Do you have a working Hikvision setup @alastairstevenson?

Thanks!

Attachments

JohnC

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I completely uninstalled WebComponents and reinstalled the version from your Google drive link. For me, that installs 3.0.6.6. I checked the Add-ons section in IE11 and it's enabled. I can preview the camera's image but still am unable to draw any areas. I've included a screen capture

Do you have a working Hikvision setup @alastairstevenson?

Thanks!
I've solved it...at least in Internet Explorer 11. In order for it to work, you have to add each camera manually to "Compatibility View". It's under Internet Explorer Settings -> "Compatibility View settings". I also added the cameras to the "Trusted Zone" (not sure if this part is necessary).

Thanks for the push in the right direction @alastairstevenson.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done for getting there.
It sounds like your IE11 is set with a slightly elevated security level.
And apologies, that was indeed the 3.0.6.6 version of webcomponents, from the 3.4.80 NVR firmware.
If it's of any use, here is the 3.0.6.8 version from the 3.4.90 NVR firmware : WebComponents_3068.exe

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've solved it...at least in Internet Explorer 11. In order for it to work, you have to add each camera manually to "Compatibility View". It's under Internet Explorer Settings -> "Compatibility View settings". I also added the cameras to the "Trusted Zone" (not sure if this part is necessary).
I've never gotten that to work--I always have to draw areas and lines at my NVR. Thank you for posting this lead.