Hikvision cams are HACKED... help please

Reaction score
So I noticed my grey market cams all say the word 'Hacked' in them and then I found Alistairs post.... frick. Hikvision DS-2CD2x32-I (R0) brick-fix tool / full upgrade method / fixup roundup.

I would like to update my FW so this security hole is fixed so I can continue to check my camera's from time to time on an external network.

I've read for hours and can't find a simple step by step fix for my specific situation. I haven't updated ot done anything. I can access my cam's fine. I just am not sure what is step 1?

I have two types of camera's, one I believe is hacked Chinese with english menu's, the other is WR so European??:

Model DS-2CD2432F-IW
Serial No. DS-2CD2432F-IW20150508CCCH517018327
Firmware Version V5.2.5 build 141201
Encoding Version V5.0 build 140714

and

Model DS-2CD2332-I
Serial No. DS-2CD2332-I20141121CCWR490862433
Firmware Version V5.2.5 build 141201
Encoding Version V5.0 build 140714

Please help me fix the Chinese 2432F ones first.

Alistair's post says, "So the way to be able to update a China region camera to make it safer is to first downgrade to the 5.2.5 version, where it's possible to enable telnet, for shell access, and then to safely modify the contents of mtdblock6 to make the camera updateable. Modifying mtdblock6 on later firmware can trigger a nasty brick trap. After this, the camera can be updated through the versions to the latest firmware."

I see my camera is already at 5.2.5, it has the telnet option but I have no idea how to do the rest... can someone walk me through what I need to do to update my Chinese cams? Which firmware do I use to update the CH cam?

Or is step one to follow this MTD hack guide? I'm pretty sure I can follow the video.

MTD HACK made easy on Video

THANK YOU!!!

EDIT: Do I fix the 'hacks' by simply resetting my camera to factory default? If IO do that can I just just setup a VPN to better protect myself? If I can avoid upgrading I will. I don't know how to setup a VPN though...

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Please help me fix the Chinese 2432F ones first.
Suggestion:
The video is for an older, less capable hack. But it does take you though how to extract mtdblock6, change it, and put it back.
If you'd like to just extract mtdblock6, zip it up and attach it to a private message (Conversations) for me, I'll modify it for you.
But you'll need to let me know what the value of 'devType' is from the telnet command prtHardInfo and also check if the camera label or box shows original firmware as 5.2.8
Or if not accessible - just include mtdblock1 as well.

Reaction score
That would be amazing... Thank you. I will send that tonight and troubleshoot this weekend.

But would it just be easier if I kept the Cams as-is, and just run the 5.2.5 FW through a VPN? Would it be secure then? For now, I've reset them all, new passwords, they no longer have access to the internet via ddns, and port's aren't forwarded anymore in router.

p.s. the 2432F Cams have a sticker with Chinese writing and 5.3.0 Firmware.

Dragon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Chinese cameras have so many possible backdoors and exploits in them I would never trust them with access to any network. I have all my cameras locked behind a firewall so they can't connect outbound to my local network OR to the internet. They also can't be reached directly from outside. I have to VPN connect to a machine inside the home network, then use that to view video.

JoeLansing

n3wb
Reaction score
I just hide my old never updated DS-2CD2332-I cameras behind Blue Iris. Make sure to turn off uPnP on the cameras, and your router, or the camera will still get out on the internet. Seriously though. I have a lot more issues with my D-Stink 850L router getting hacked than my cameras. Good luck!
- Joe