Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L)

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is another picture with the brightness set back at 50. Might be too much for the daytime so I may have to compromise. Anyways progress is being made.

View attachment 84912
I think the problem with more light could be the dynamic range as the contrast between light and dark areas becomes greater.
I think that is exactly what is happening. There was to much contrast with the white cars reflecting so much light. Now my other 4mm camera is on the way and it will be located in an area that has plenty of shade from the porch cover and then plenty of light from a security camera. I will post up pictures. Camera should be at Fedex in Memphis today and LAX tonight. By the way so far so good with the brightness set at 50 during the day.

I am really happy with the camera and the new location. It covers the cars quite well which is the primary concern, then it gives me a good overall view down the street which I have not had before. Looking at the picture I have to make one more tweek. It is covering too much of the garage. :)

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
first you wanna chop down his tree, now he must get dark cars for his camera's view. what's next?... :)
I will tell you what is next. I am looking to put a camera in a tree. :D I want to get more out of this location after have moved this camera around numerous times. It is the pine tree in the lower left of the picture. I want a camera pointing more down the street (to the right in the picture). I am looking into 100' of direct burial CAT6 23AWG cable. Also 1" wide camouflage tape. Now I have to investigate how I can mount the camera at the top of the tree. Here is an older picture showing the tree.

Camera 4B License Plate.jpg

Last edited:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
tree-cams rock! I have 3 on this tree in front of our house, 2 cams looking down the sidewalk in each direction, one looking back at the house. Generic IMX290 2MP units in birdhouse disguise with big f/1.0 CS lenses, 16mm for the sidewalk, 8mm for the house view. I ran power to the tree for holiday lighting (shoudl have run an ethernet as well - hindsight) , and one of the birdhouses holds a PLA adapter and small 4-port PoE switch to feed up to 3 other cams, so i have room for one more there. the crappy fw/sw on the genric cams has poor exposure control, but they seem to do pretty well at night with available lighting...
51052122833_0e8fd228bb_k.jpgSidewalk West 2021-03-18 12.18.06.723 AM.jpgSidewalk East 2021-03-19 12.04.27.410 AM.jpg

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
tree-cams rock! I have 3 on this tree in front of our house, 2 cams looking down the sidewalk in each direction, one looking back at the house. Generic IMX290 2MP units in birdhouse disguise with big f/1.0 CS lenses, 16mm for the sidewalk, 8mm for the house view. I ran power to the tree for holiday lighting (shoudl have run an ethernet as well - hindsight) , and one of the birdhouses holds a PLA adapter and small 4-port PoE switch to feed up to 3 other cams, so i have room for one more there. the crappy fw/sw on the genric cams has poor exposure control, but they seem to do pretty well at night with available lighting...
View attachment 84951View attachment 84949View attachment 84950
I could go the birdhouse route or maybe try to camouflage it in the tree which is what I would rather do. I currently have a Dahua 5442E-Z4E doing an excellent job. IMHO that might be a little big for what I want to do. I will have to see how well I can disguise it.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just finished replacing another Lorex with a 4mm one of these, very impressed. I have 2 porch type lights and the one near the camera is causing excessive brightness to the left but I can use 1/120 exposure with max 60% gain and still get pictures like this. :). Might even turn the left porch light off.

Lost some wide angle which enabled me to pick up closer to the door but not to bothered about that as have cameras in the house pointing at the door entrance.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
@Nite-Owl, have you tried/considered turning the cam 90 degrees for a 'corridor' view there? You could get more of your property close under the cam and less of your neighbors' out on the sides...

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Just finished replacing another Lorex with a 4mm one of these, very impressed. I have 2 porch type lights and the one near the camera is causing excessive brightness to the left but I can use 1/120 exposure with max 60% gain and still get pictures like this. :). Might even turn the left porch light off.

Lost some wide angle which enabled me to pick up closer to the door but not to bothered about that as have cameras in the house pointing at the door entrance.

I have to agree on the near porch light. It is on the bright side for this camera.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Nite-Owl, have you tried/considered turning the cam 90 degrees for a 'corridor' view there? You could get more of your property close under the cam and less of your neighbors' out on the sides...
Hi, I could turn it more but then I would lose the man cave and get the neighbours the other side more I suspect, unless I am not understanding what you mean of course ?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I was referring to a tall narrow view like this one of my driveway (5mp Amcrest, not the topic cam, yet)
.drive_n.20210320_100014047.jpg
leaving the camera aimed at the same general area, but turn the camera body 90 degrees clockwise (or counter-).
also need to adjust for the 'rotation' in the cam's web UI:
hik rotate.PNG
try it, you may (or may not) like the view...

Last edited:

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi All, I seem to have just lost one of these. Brand new, installed, went to default up fine, changed up to one I wanted and it never changed and just disappeared of network altogether. I have tried resetting by removing power, holding reset button in for 10 seconds while returning power, the lights come on and go out at same time as same camera near it but I still cannot find it on network at all using router to try finding it of SADP etc. Help !. please.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
oops. better send it to me then... :) jk.

unplug cam from network. ping the cam's ip to see if the ip is being used by something else on the network. if so, find and unplug that device temporarily and plug the cam back in to find it and change ip to something else.

Last edited:

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi, I eventually fixed, had someone hold reset button down while I disconnected power and keep it held down while reconnected power and then for about 15 seconds after, that managed to reset it. Then followed procedure to change IP etc again and this time after taking like 15 minutes to reboot it came back up and all working :). Phew.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was referring to a tall narrow view like this one of my driveway (5mp Amcrest, not the topic cam, yet)
.View attachment 85064
leaving the camera aimed at the same general area, but turn the camera body 90 degrees clockwise (or counter-).
also need to adjust for the 'rotation' in the cam's web UI:
View attachment 85065
try it, you may (or may not) like the view...
Hi, can you do this on a bullet ?, Purely thinking of weather shield not then being at top etc ?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
i suppose that something to consider, but haven't had any problems with sideways bullets exposed to elements. other than the aesthetics i guess. Worth a try if the view works better for your location, is all i'm suggesting...