Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L)

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for that. No doubt in my mind that this camera was not focused properly as it came from the factory. I will install it in the backyard this afternoon. I have a dental appointment to make before I can install it. :) It is not that hard to change the focus.
So 6 pages back post#542 I was right all along :)

Not often I'm wrong but when I am I'm right!

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
So 6 pages back post#542 I was right all along :)

Not often I'm wrong but when I am I'm right!
After playing with a couple of these cameras I could tell the 6mm was off the mark compared to my two 4mm ones. Especially after I took it appart and started to make adjustments, things were getting better focused. Yes you were correct.:) I just put the camera up and I need to just tweak it in the other direction.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
It is useful to know that they are pretty easy to open and re focus and you have done the forum a favour to show it can be done.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is the first look at the 6mm camera in its new location. Notice how sharp the images are close in. The numbers on the trash cans are not focused that sharply. I want to see what the night video looks like before I go further. That is the main reason for switching out this camera.

Edit: I have another camera that covers the trash can area so no need for super detail in that area. You can see the camera in the upper right.

Camera LP7 Hikvision 4K.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Oz

n3wb
Reaction score
Great thread and info. Anyone have a picture of one of these beasts mounted on your wall? I'm coming from the older turrets (2335 I think), and these things look massive. It's good to be noticed but don't want them too noticeable if you know what I mean. Guess bigger is better. :)

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Great to hear that you can change the focus pretty easily.

Photography 101 - the aperture correlates to how much depth of field will be in focus. The larger the aperture (the smaller the number), the less depth of field will be in focus. These cameras have a very large aperture and therefore are going to have a very narrow depth of field in focus. There is also a point in which the camera will focus from a certain distance out to infinity. The factory probably sets these cameras to focus out that far so that "infinity" is in focus. This provide the greatest amount of depth of field in focus, but also means that nothing close up will be in focus.

Knowing that you can change the focus point to something closer is helpful. Of course you are going to loose the distance focus because the depth of field is too small to allow both close things and "infinity" to be in focus at the same time. At least with this camera and it's extremely large aperture.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I got a couple of 4mm 2087G2-LU's from Andy just the other day, Still playing with them, but will most likely replace a couple of 'overview' cams on the front of the house. Currently have there a DH-HFW1831E (8mp on 1/1.8" sensor) and a Lorex LNB8005C (aka DH-4830SE, 8MP on 1/2.5" sensor). Will post some comparo shots after I've collected some good ones... Anyways, I noticed a couple things in the UI that I hadn't expected or seen noted before:
hik 2087G2 image.PNG
  • the 'Brightness' slider seems to do nothing, day or night, that I can tell
  • dropping 'Contrast' from default 50 to 49 has a huge effect on 'brightness' at night, almost as if enabling WDR
  • dropping sharpness drastically reduces/improves 'mosquito noise', i didn't disable entirely, as i think it does help keep edges sharp at low levels.
For now, I've settled at exposure 1/120, gain ~60, WDR ON ~10, NR ~25. My view has an LED street light across the street and bit to the left (above the Prius)
There's also a motion light that comes on occasionally in my neighbors driveway to the right of the scene. Nothing I can do about that...

Mine came with V5.5.154 build 200928 and a power supply. see it's size compared to old min-bullet and lnb8005c/dh-4830se bullets:
51069155996_eb5f288960_k.jpg
I'm not a big fan of the mount. one has to think 'radially' when installing rather than just up/down/left/right, and there seem to be internal detent's that prevent small adjustments...

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Great to hear that you can change the focus pretty easily.

Photography 101 - the aperture correlates to how much depth of field will be in focus. The larger the aperture (the smaller the number), the less depth of field will be in focus. These cameras have a very large aperture and therefore are going to have a very narrow depth of field in focus. There is also a point in which the camera will focus from a certain distance out to infinity. The factory probably sets these cameras to focus out that far so that "infinity" is in focus. This provide the greatest amount of depth of field in focus, but also means that nothing close up will be in focus.

Knowing that you can change the focus point to something closer is helpful. Of course you are going to loose the distance focus because the depth of field is too small to allow both close things and "infinity" to be in focus at the same time. At least with this camera and it's extremely large aperture.
Exactly. I might add if I did not say so before but the front cover comes off by releasing the two tabs on the front bottom of the camera. Then the four #1 Phillips head screws become accessable. Do not lose any of the screws. Be careful at this point. The adjuster is tight even after removing the "goop" that the factory puts on to hold it in place, but it will move. Also as I stated the adjustment is not that fine, at least on the 6mm version. I assume the same for all.

avotek

n3wb
Reaction score
Lets say i had 40 of these cameras that i wanted to set up all the same way with regards to image settings, OSD, etc. Can i do an "Information Export / Device" under the upgrade/maintenance section from a camera that is set up the way that i want it, and then use the "Import Config File" to import all of the settings into the other 39 cameras? Just trying to find a way to reduce the amount of time that it takes to set up each camera. Then once they are all installed i can fine tune as necessary depending on their specific locations. Thanks!

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Lets say i had 40 of these cameras that i wanted to set up all the same way with regards to image settings, OSD, etc. Can i do an "Information Export / Device" under the upgrade/maintenance section from a camera that is set up the way that i want it, and then use the "Import Config File" to import all of the settings into the other 39 cameras? Just trying to find a way to reduce the amount of time that it takes to set up each camera. Then once they are all installed i can fine tune as necessary depending on their specific locations. Thanks!
I would say first of all you need a device(s) that can handle the data stream from 40 4K cameras.

avotek

n3wb
Reaction score
3 separate sites. 15-20 cameras at each site. Each site has a 32ch NVR. I'd like to initialize and set up all cameras the same way in my office before installing them to shorten the amount of config time needed on-site. I think that the batch config tool looks promising. Thank you @pozzello !

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
3 separate sites. 15-20 cameras at each site. Each site has a 32ch NVR. I'd like to initialize and set up all cameras the same way in my office before installing them to shorten the amount of config time needed on-site. I think that the batch config tool looks promising. Thank you @pozzello !
My question is can your 32 channel NVR handle the bandwidth of 15+ 4K cameras? I am lucky if my 16 channel NVR can handle 6 cameras at 4K. You may have more powerful NVR's than I have. That is why my question.

avotek

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmm, I guess I just assumed my nvr would be able to do it. I'll have to look into it. Thx for the heads up.
I've got the Dahua NVR DHI-NVR5232-16P-4KS2E. Can anyone confirm?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
For a 4K quality video streaming with H.264 codec, it is recommended to use a 32Mbps bandwidth and, it could be up to 15Mbps with the H.265

avotek

n3wb
Reaction score
The spec for the NVR5232-16P-4KS2E says max of 320Mbps incoming bandwidth. If that is accurate, and if i'm using H.265 it seems as though the NVR should be able to record 4k cameras on 19-20 channels and probably a few more unless all of the streams are maxed out at 16,384Kbps right?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
The spec on my car says it does 45MPG but lucky to get 30MPG.

I would not like to advise you if this can take the camera's you want but maybe someone else can help.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
The spec for the NVR5232-16P-4KS2E says max of 320Mbps incoming bandwidth. If that is accurate, and if i'm using H.265 it seems as though the NVR should be able to record 4k cameras on 19-20 channels and probably a few more unless all of the streams are maxed out at 16,384Kbps right?
It may or may not work. I am just going by my experiences. I would not go over 15 frames per second for openers.

avotek

n3wb
Reaction score
At 4k resolution, with variable bit-rate at highest video quality and 20fps, it looks like each channel is using around 14Kbps. IF the NVR can handle close to its published spec, I'm hoping it will handle 15-20 cameras. If not, then i'll have to tweak the settings until it does i guess.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, did some fine tuning with the camera. By the way there are two sets screws to loosen. I had to remove the gunk from both of them. Major improvements in my opinion. It was a fine line between the near focus and the far focus. I love how you can adust these cameras. In my opinion it makes the 6mm version more versatile than I had thought. ;) Also do to the darkness of the back yard at night I tuned on the white light and adjusted it to 20 on their scale.

Camera LP7 Final Adjustment.jpg

Last edited: