Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But the 4mm was a blur face out of focus face, so at least the 6mm would be a closer out of focus face blur :p

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
But the 4mm was a blur face out of focus face, so at least the 6mm would be a closer out of focus face blur :p
I could and I think try swapping the angle of the 2 cameras so they are basically crossing each others focus, that way I am creating more distance between the subjects and looking more along the path, mmm I wonder.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I always arrange cameras so their viewing each other whenever possible. An extra way to make sure nothing is missed.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
you can always adjust the focus by opening the cam up and turning the lens a bit in either direction till you get it sharp where you want it. one could argie it should not void your warranty , as it's simply part of 'installing'...

and as for the white LEDs on the Lorex E891ab, they can be controlled with a simple curl command issued by BI upon detecting motion, if so desired...

i generally try to NOT have other cams (or bright lights) in the cam views, but i suppose that's moot if the cams in view have no white or red LED's in use...

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Or get the 4MP version of the ColorVu G2, the 2047g2, they have a smaller DOF, I think 7.5m for the 6mm, in comparison to the 13m of the 8MP 6mm.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Holding my hopes up for this one, I changed the angle so now looking in opposite direction to what is was.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The gain is too high, the people are noisy and ghosted. I'd settle for a darker picture and less gain / higher shutter speed. It's no good having the scenary looking like daylight if the subjects are unidentifiable or poorly defined because of other issues.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
see how the smaller kid's head basically becomes invisible as he moves? try reducing DNR and/or WDR, if enabled...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have read of other HIK cameras that do not allow gain to be adjusted, which is a shame...which is why most here stick with Dahua as appears to be more settings options....

Here was a great comparison of similar cams - check it out...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So the grass may be greener with the HIK, but the dahua outperforms :p

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The gain is too high, the people are noisy and ghosted. I'd settle for a darker picture and less gain / higher shutter speed. It's no good having the scenary looking like daylight if the subjects are unidentifiable or poorly defined because of other issues.
Totally agree but no gain control, this is on a high shutter speed 1/120, I have tried reducing to 1/50 to see if it stops it increasing gain to much and hence causing further issues.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Or get the 4MP version of the ColorVu G2, the 2047g2, they have a smaller DOF, I think 7.5m for the 6mm, in comparison to the 13m of the 8MP 6mm.
This would be an idea, but if I was going 4/5 MP, I would go back to Dahua on the 5442's,

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
you can always adjust the focus by opening the cam up and turning the lens a bit in either direction till you get it sharp where you want it. one could argie it should not void your warranty , as it's simply part of 'installing'...

and as for the white LEDs on the Lorex E891ab, they can be controlled with a simple curl command issued by BI upon detecting motion, if so desired...

i generally try to NOT have other cams (or bright lights) in the cam views, but i suppose that's moot if the cams in view have no white or red LED's in use...
Oh no, BI mentioned again, pushing me closer and closer to thinking i should try it out ;). It seems you are good with opening up cameras and changing lens etc, i refrain mainly as I am crazy about scratches etc and hence to frightened to try at risk of damaging it. But for those that are not, certainly a more cost effective way of sorting the issue.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look at that... @pozzello is right on the sidewalk and went with 16mm lens and not 2.8 or 4mm lenses that folks try to use at there house how many feet away.....My neighbor's is similar - sidewalk is literally less than a foot from his fence and he went with varifocals and has it at max zoom to get the nice clear shot with details...

I think this thread is also showing how it doesn't matter how great the specs are, if you pick the wrong camera for the location you are trying to cover, it doesn't matter the quality of the camera...

Last edited:

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Look at that... @pozzello is right on the sidewalk and went with 16mm lens and not 2.8 or 4mm lenses that folks try to use at there house how many feet away.....My neighbor's is similar - sidewalk is literally less than a foot from his fence and he went with varifocals and has it at max zoom to get the nice clear shot with details...

I think this thread is also showing how it doesn't matter how great the specs are, if you pick the wrong camera for the location you are trying to cover, it doesn't matter the quality of the camera...
I guess if you have pointing down the path then eventually any camera will give good shot at the point suspect gets into focus, one each side I guess to capture people walking in either direction. Unfortunately I have a very small house, so don't really get anough angle to do that. I could put on the 4 ft fence, but someone would knock it off or smash it up in seconds. These Hikvision's are producing an outstanding picture that even my varifocal cannot match i.e I can see the houses opposite clear as day, it's the motion part that seems to be the issue mainly, that's clearly not helped by little light. In theory maybe I should have gone for the ones with stronger white light inbuilt. However in the last 1/2 hr, found a more annoying issue, my new Dahua player is not recording motion, even when set, I just see 24/7 recording, no yellow bits etc to show when motion was, that's with the Dahua and Hikvision cameras, only cameras purely set to motion only are showing the motion bits. I will start another thread on this though in order to not ruin this Hikvision thread with a complete different issue :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you crank the gain up on the Dahua 5442 and slow the shutter down, you can match that outstanding picture of the Hik....just saying... Motion is where it is at - I can make a crap camera look like daytime at midnight for a static image, but motion is blur and ghost city... I don't think one with stronger white light on the camera would have been impactful. You need to put some floods on the house...

I see some Hik cams and Dahua NVR being returned LOL :p

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you crank the gain up on the Dahua 5442 and slow the shutter down, you can match that outstanding picture of the Hik....just saying... Motion is where it is at - I can make a crap camera look like daytime at midnight for a static image, but motion is blur and ghost city... I don't think one with stronger white light on the camera would have been impactful. You need to put some floods on the house...

I see some Hik cams and Dahua NVR being returned LOL :p
I wish it is that simple, the Hiks are from.a trade supplier, no returns unless faulty if opened. I have already opened 2 of the 4. The NVR is from Andy and I doubt faulty. I need to become more like pozzello and just crack open the cameras and put a different lens in them of tweak the focus, certainly more cost effective. All this has pushed me over the edge, I am going to need to try this BI stuff out LOL.