Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is a selling board thread here to offload these Hiks lol

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Night-Owl - is it dark where you are - have you tried my suggestion to take your 5442 and could crank up the gain and match see if you can match the picture quality of the Hik?

I think it would be a great another comparison, even if they are not marketed as the same type of camera. Might be enough to push you to get the varifocal 5442s to match what you have and then be same brand as NVR!

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
All the Family Was tested positive for Covid-19 a few weeks ago and been pretty poorly in bed for 10+ days myself but now on the recovery.

I have a few questions - Installed the 2.8mm back in it's original location as I liked the viewing angle better than my 4mm. I also Installed the latest LED on activation firmware which works well but is there any way you can adjust the brightness as the LED's come on 100% and want to turn the brightness down a little to say 40%..

Since I installed this firmware I can no longer adjust the brightness in any of the other plans like I could before the update.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi, No gain control :( and WDR is already off.

I'm guessing maybe everyone need to start emailing Hik and comlaining about the lack of gain. It's only a firmware update away and maybe with enough complaints Hik will act.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
All the Family Was tested positive for Covid-19 a few weeks ago and been pretty poorly in bed for 10+ days myself but now on the recovery.

I have a few questions - Installed the 2.8mm back in it's original location as I liked the viewing angle better than my 4mm. I also Installed the latest LED on activation firmware which works well but is there any way you can adjust the brightness as the LED's come on 100% and want to turn the brightness down a little to say 40%..

Since I installed this firmware I can no longer adjust the brightness in any of the other plans like I could before the update.

Hope you all get better soon. It's the 12-14 day mark that's the danger point. Hopefully, you won't get the bad cough / severe shortness of breath.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Night-Owl - is it dark where you are - have you tried my suggestion to take your 5442 and could crank up the gain and match see if you can match the picture quality of the Hik?

I think it would be a great another comparison, even if they are not marketed as the same type of camera. Might be enough to push you to get the varifocal 5442s to match what you have and then be same brand as NVR!
I have no doubt that 2 more 5442's would have been way to go now, but I have a severe hole in my pocket from the 4 Hiks, was to overcome by 4K Pictures in the Dark but I can see now that because of low light, they are useless with motion. A lesson learnt, a warning to all, please make sure you have decent light, no different from other colour night vision really, still require a decent amount of light, I have a porch light but no where near enough for it. Perhaps if Hik put gain control on etc, I might be able to get something useable. Worst case I save up some more and get a couple more 5442's from Andy. In the meantime I will provide some videos tonight of 5442 Vs Hik's. I will try and send the 2 unopened NICS back but if anyone in UK that wants them or even the 2 prestine opened ones, I got these for £112.20 + VAT i.e £134.64 each , cheaper than you will find in many places. If you want one or more, PM me quickly before I send them back.

Last edited:

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Hope you and your family get well soon.

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Too bad wittaj is dragging the mood down, you were very happy with it until he starts ranting on it despite the fact he doesn't have this model or even tested it and you're just following him. There is no 'gain' slider in the web interface but the 'brightness' slider has the same effect, try that, it doesn't affect the exposure time. I'm very happy with them, I have exposure set to 1/50 and 1/100 is still a bright image, not many blur on people and when they approach my back door LED's go on, it scares them, they look into the light as a first reflex and their face is perfectly captured. It all depends on what you want to use it for, this is not a varifocal, it's also half the price, I don't want to identify people at 10m away, I want to identify them if they're at my doorstep but now I can even see which color of clothing they are wearing at 10m away. I had a burglar some months ago, trying to open the front door, he didn't succeed so he went to the next house, called the cops, first question 'is your camera color or infrared'? Yeah, don't have a clue about clothing color.. Now I do. I have a pretty large domain, if I want to identify everyone walking on the side walk, I would need 20x 16mm I guess to cover everything, but they can use the side walk, I don't care, it's public place, but as soon they come near my house, I can see all in detailed color and again if they approach the door, LED light and perfect picture. Remember that this 2087g2 is a 150£ camera, not 500£, it does what it's supposed to do.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Too bad wittaj is dragging the mood down, you were very happy with it until he starts ranting on it despite the fact he doesn't have this model or even tested it and you're just following him. There is no 'gain' slider in the web interface but the 'brightness' slider has the same effect, try that, it doesn't affect the exposure time. I'm very happy with them, I have exposure set to 1/50 and 1/100 is still a bright image, not many blur on people and when they approach my back door LED's go on, it scares them, they look into the light as a first reflex and their face is perfectly captured. It all depends on what you want to use it for, this is not a varifocal, it's also half the price, I don't want to identify people at 10m away, I want to identify them if they're at my doorstep but now I can even see which color of clothing they are wearing at 10m away. I had a burglar some months ago, trying to open the front door, he didn't succeed so he went to the next house, called the cops, first question 'is your camera color or infrared'? Yeah, don't have a clue about clothing color.. Now I do. I have a pretty large domain, if I want to identify everyone walking on the side walk, I would need 20x 16mm I guess to cover everything, but they can use the side walk, I don't care, it's public place, but as soon they come near my house, I can see all in detailed color and again if they approach the door, LED light and perfect picture. Remember that this 2087g2 is a 150£ camera, not 500£, it does what it's supposed to do.
Hello k110, I am certainly not saying this camera is bad in fact as an overview camera it's excellent. I have a ring doorbell so I don't need to see people at very close range, the ring is perfect for that. I want clear, perfect facial shots of people on the walkway, with no motion blur. I cannot seem to get that with these. I can get the varifocal from Andy delivered for £170 max, so due to this, theirs little difference in pricing for me. I promise I will try the brightness when it gets dark tonight. I think if this camera had black and white and infra red built in also, that would really help. As I say, I am not saying it's a bad camera, I am saying due to lack of lighting in my situation and what I want to do with it, it's not ideal for me. As I also say, if anyone wants these cameras at a bargain price. PM me, the supplier has already agreed to take the un opened ones back and is discussing with Hikvision regarding motion issues on the opened ones, if they cannot resolve, they said they would take these back also. I appreciate all feed back from all forum members.

watchful_ip

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just learned the forum has an ignore feature - if you go to a user's profile, you can opt not to see their posts.

Catching up with this thread motivated me sufficiently to find out :)

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just learned the forum has an ignore feature - if you go to a user's profile, you can opt not to see their posts.

Catching up with this thread motivated me sufficiently to find out :)
Come on guys and girls, play nice, everyone has an opinion, everyone's is welcome, I have 2 areas on my property with more light i.e the back as it's got flood lights in various areas, so I can replace the Lorex 4K with the Hik's their if need be, it's no big deal, if we manage to convince Hikvision to add Gain Control in a future firmware, that would help also. The positives also are I now have a tiny bit of experience with Hik's and will gain more through the help you achieve from forum members.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do not have this model but I have a much lower spec Annke one. So no where near as good as this, but while I thought I would hate the concept of the always on LED, it doesn't have to be bright and out the back it's actually a nice ambience.
I have also found that a decent solar light, motion or otherwise can be used as a decent light source if you don't want to use the always on LED.
Absolutely blown away with the Annke, and it's much lower spec than this. Need to find one at a decent price.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Um he actually responded to a post from you first saying he wasn't 100% happy with this camera. @Night-Owl and I have had some friendly banter back and forth on this forum, but you being a NOOB wouldn't know that....and having a history with him and knowing what he was looking for, I chimed in after he said he wasn't completely satisfied with what the camera was producing. Sorry your feelings are hurt, but this thread is to be useful for others looking at this cam and wondering if it would be the right camera for them. I am not married to any one brand and run several brands of cameras, each selected for what they can do and the location I have placed it. I have Hiks as well, so I am not bashing Hiks. But a great camera used in the wrong location and not achieving the goal of what the person wants to achieve shouldn't be dismissed as saying "oh but it is a great camera". He mentioned he has some spots on the back of the house that this will be perfect for accomplishing what he wants back there.

If anyone looks at his videos and says that the police could ID the person with what it is producing, they need their eyes checked. It is a great camera, but not when used in the wrong location. This thread isn't all about saying how great a camera even if it is used in the wrong spot.

Even the "best" camera can be put in a wrong location. A great 25x zoom PTZ used inside a house is the wrong location - doesn't mean it isn't a good camera - just the wrong location. I am a big fan of the Dahua 49225 PTZ with autotrack, but I have steered people here away from it when they showed what they wanted to use it for and convinced them it is the wrong camera for that location. And there are others I have steered to this PTZ because it would serve what they are trying to accomplish.

A great camera can be placed at the wrong spot, which then leads to bad reviews on an otherwise great camera. And this forum allows others to actually see videos of these cameras at locations and can then make a determination on if that is similar to their situation and would that camera be the right or wrong selection for what they are trying to achieve.

People come to these forums to see the good and the bad about each camera. Sorry you don't recognize that aspect. Too bad @watchful_ip will become a sheep and just use the ignore option to people that know what they are talking about but have a different opinion on a camera performance than him. If he believes that @Night-Owl is accomplishing what he wants with this camera, then go live in your own little world LOL @watchful_ip - don't come here complaining when something happens and your camera didn't get the money shot LOL...

@Night-Owl has come to this site to improve upon his Lorex kit he purchased and he is concerned about getting ID of people on the sidewalk...and I think many would believe after looking at his videos that this camera isn't it for what he is trying to capture. At the location of his install it is a great overview camera and getting color shots, but not to ID at the sidewalk which is what he wants...and he has said so over and over...and he has said he already has another camera to get the color...Now if he said he was wanting to capture faces and ID people on his side of the fence, then it will do a great job.

1613744701618.png

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Hope you all get better soon. It's the 12-14 day mark that's the danger point. Hopefully, you won't get the bad cough / severe shortness of breath.
Had all those symptoms along with others, my main concern was my Temperature was very high for around 12 days which is dangerous as it starts to effect bloods and organs.
Getting better now though I think but thanks for the comments.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Um he actually responded to a post from you first saying he wasn't 100% happy with this camera. @Night-Owl and I have had some friendly banter back and forth on this forum, but you being a NOOB wouldn't know that....and having a history with him and knowing what he was looking for, I chimed in after he said he wasn't completely satisfied with what the camera was producing. Sorry your feelings are hurt, but this thread is to be useful for others looking at this cam and wondering if it would be the right camera for them. I am not married to any one brand and run several brands of cameras, each selected for what they can do and the location I have placed it. I have Hiks as well, so I am not bashing Hiks. But a great camera used in the wrong location and not achieving the goal of what the person wants to achieve shouldn't be dismissed as saying "oh but it is a great camera". He mentioned he has some spots on the back of the house that this will be perfect for accomplishing what he wants back there.

If anyone looks at his videos and says that the police could ID the person with what it is producing, they need their eyes checked. It is a great camera, but not when used in the wrong location. This thread isn't all about saying how great a camera even if it is used in the wrong spot.

Even the "best" camera can be put in a wrong location. A great 25x zoom PTZ used inside a house is the wrong location - doesn't mean it isn't a good camera - just the wrong location. I am a big fan of the Dahua 49225 PTZ with autotrack, but I have steered people here away from it when they showed what they wanted to use it for and convinced them it is the wrong camera for that location. And there are others I have steered to this PTZ because it would serve what they are trying to accomplish.

A great camera can be placed at the wrong spot, which then leads to bad reviews on an otherwise great camera. And this forum allows others to actually see videos of these cameras at locations and can then make a determination on if that is similar to their situation and would that camera be the right or wrong selection for what they are trying to achieve.

People come to these forums to see the good and the bad about each camera. Sorry you don't recognize that aspect. Too bad @watchful_ip will become a sheep and just use the ignore option to people that know what they are talking about but have a different opinion on a camera performance than him. If he believes that @Night-Owl is accomplishing what he wants with this camera, then go live in your own little world LOL @watchful_ip - don't come here complaining when something happens and your camera didn't get the money shot LOL...

@Night-Owl has come to this site to improve upon his Lorex kit he purchased and he is concerned about getting ID of people on the sidewalk...and I think many would believe after looking at his videos that this camera isn't it for what he is trying to capture. At the location of his install it is a great overview camera and getting color shots, but not to ID at the sidewalk which is what he wants...and he has said so over and over...and he has said he already has another camera to get the color...Now if he said he was wanting to capture faces and ID people on his side of the fence, then it will do a great job.

View attachment 82953
3rd Lorex Kit actually LOL, I have one of the previous sets installed at my late father's house I now rent and it's perfect their because everything I want to see is within 5-6 metres of the camera. Got a older version installed at my brother in law's but this weekend he is buying the latest Lorex kit (same one as I have now) for me to install. He loves them, it's really only me who wants views over 6 metres away and in some cases 70 metres away that the normal cam just cannot handle, hence finding this lovely forum where I can keep up with the latest and greatest cameras :).

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
the 2347G has brightness control on the white LED's, but i don't have a G2 and it's been pointed out the GUI is different. Odd they wouldn't have it somewhere tho.

Also odd there's no gain control? really? perhaps they pegged the gain up real high and hid the control to make those numbers on the data sheet: .0005 lux (vs .0014 lux for the G1 with same sensor/lens, at least when comparing the 4MP turrets)

Anyways, if you can't get cams out by the sidwalk, maybe some lights out there could help? a couple of poles with a light around 6ft/2m aimed up/down the sidewalk. Ostensibly to help the passerby's see where they're going, would also help you see them...

edit: of course, once you have poles/power out there, you'll have a good spot for sidewalks cams. Bwahaha... slippery slope...

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
3rd Lorex Kit actually LOL, I have one of the previous sets installed at my late father's house I now rent and it's perfect their because everything I want to see is within 5-6 metres of the camera. Got a older version installed at my brother in law's but this weekend he is buying the latest Lorex kit (same one as I have now) for me to install. He loves them, it's really only me who wants views over 6 metres away and in some cases 70 metres away that the normal cam just cannot handle, hence finding his lovely forum where I can keep up with the latest and greatest cameras :).
Exactly! We here try to give people all the information so that they can make their own opinion. Last thing the camera vendors of the world need are people buying great cameras and using them at the wrong location and returning - that drives the prices up for all of us. A great camera can be used in the wrong location. Lorex in the right situation can be great.

My one neighbor mentioned they were going to get a Lorex and I discussed with them the pros and cons and showed them my images and said if you want to cover this location 50 feet from your house, the Lorex isn't it. If you want to cover that location within 15 feet of your house, the Lorex will be fine. They went with the Lorex because they are only concerned about the immediate 10 feet around the doors and windows. It is perfect for that installation. Now if they wanted to capture and ID people at the sidewalk at the street, that would be a different camera!

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I have read of other HIK cameras that do not allow gain to be adjusted, which is a shame...which is why most here stick with Dahua as appears to be more settings options....

Here was a great comparison of similar cams - check it out...

I have GAIN CONTROL setting on mine , is this what you mean?
2021-02-19 19_10_35-Configuration.jpg

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have GAIN CONTROL setting on mine , is this what you mean?
View attachment 82976
Yes, not on mine, now I am well confused, just check out both my 4mm, one on older firmware, one on latest and neither has this. I think yours is 2.8mm ?, Surely this is not only on 2.8's, do you have a 4mm to check this ?. Thanks

Last edited: