Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L)

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have just unboxed my 4mm version after carefully boxing it to go to it's next owner but I can confirm the 4mm does not come with Gain Control only my 2.8mm lens has this option.
OMG, thank you so much for checking. Much appreciated. So it seems I am right, bang out of luck again and should be clearly stated as specs says it with no exclusions. Controlling this could mean I could reduce ghosting as in theory I would keep gain to 60 out of 100 and reduce exposure until I get a dark but reasonable picture. But cannot do such now, right where has that Jack Daniels gone, I need a drink :)

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Bad marketecture at work! The 4mm lens will inherently gather less light than the 2.8mm, so in order to meet their claimed '.0005 lux' rating (or at least get closer) with the 4mm, they must have pinned the gain up high and removed the control. lame...

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Bad marketecture at work! The 4mm lens will inherently gather less light than the 2.8mm, so in order to meet their claimed '.0005 lux' rating (or at least get closer) with the 4mm, they must have pinned the gain up high and removed the control. lame...
Mmm, we just need a programmer now to find the part where it excludes the 4mm lens in the firmware, remove it and supply another firmware to us or me, as I seem to be the man person buying the 4mm :)

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I suppose if anyone here has bought a 4mm from Andy @ empiretech, they might take it up with him. probably our best bet for an 'official' correction....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They aren't the first to up gain and not allow the end user to change it...probably keeps a lot of calls from happening. Why else do the consumer camera companies do that...average user only cares about a bright image.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I suppose if anyone here has bought a 4mm from Andy @ empiretech, they might take it up with him. probably our best bet for an 'official' correction....
I would NEVER pay for any firmware and would do as above and wait until an official baseline firmware is released from Hik.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As requested Hik Vs Dahua IPC-HFW5442E-Z4E, Hik 1/120, Dahua same but had to up gain to 80% and open Iris right to Max to get reasonable picture in colour..

Last edited:

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a US, official version, 2.8mm with no gain option as well. I have never seen a gain option slider before on a Hikvision camera. I do see a new addition under Smart Event Intrusion alarm for Target Validity which I have never seen before. Seems to me that you can tailor Acusense now based upon preference.

Attachments

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I would NEVER pay for any firmware and would do as above and wait until an official baseline firmware is released from Hik.
er, i wasn't suggesting paying for firmware updates. just that Andy sells these, and he's also historically been able to get Dahua engineering to fix things reported to him by his customers.

I hope your fever gets better. :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As requested Hik Vs Dahua IPC-HFW5442E-Z4E, Hik 1/120, Dahua same but had to up gain to 80% and open Iris right to Max to get reasonable picture in colour..

Awesome - can you zoom out the Dahua so that they are about the same field of view (I realize the angles are slightly different)? I bet with a wider view it will be brighter as well getting reflection off the fence.

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I also have a US version DS-2CD2087G2-L 2.8mm with no gain option... came with firmware V5.5.154 Build 200928... I updated to V5.5.160 Build 210209 but it still does not have gain control...

It seems like @ljw2k is the only person who has gain control on this camera?

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Awesome - can you zoom out the Dahua so that they are about the same field of view (I realize the angles are slightly different)? I bet with a wider view it will be brighter as well getting reflection off the fence.
This is it as far as it goes in:

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I also have a US version DS-2CD2087G2-L 2.8mm with no gain option... came with firmware V5.5.154 Build 200928... I updated to V5.5.160 Build 210209 but it still does not have gain control...

It seems like @ljw2k is the only person who has gain control on this camera?
@ljw2k would have got of a UK authorised dealer like me, so I can only think of firmware version difference or something he has switched on or off that alters if gain is available ?.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh my bad, I thought that was the ZE which you could match close to 4mm. Still a great comparison showing how you (or the camera manufacturer LOL), can alter gain to make the picture brighter to allow a color video...

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh my bad, I thought that was the ZE which you could match close to 4mm. Still a great comparison showing how you (or the camera manufacturer LOL), can alter gain to make the picture brighter to allow a color video...
Yes, to be honest I thought the Dahua would go alot brighter but over 80% gain the picture is a mess, it was actually opening the iris up to max that did the most for brightness of picture. TBH it actually shows how good the Hik's are at this, as the picture is not a mess. What we really need is a person walking by to see a motion comparison. As it's all about the motion to me :). It's getting late now though so may not be tonight.

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The one I have came from B&H in NY... it does seem like @ljw2k changed a setting causing the gain control to appear?

Hi @ljw2k... do you remember what the default gain setting on the camera was?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I still think if it were the same field of view that they would be closer. Wider view can allow more available light to come in (or play with our eye perception LOL). You can tell from the Dahua that there is some light bounce interfering with the image. I bet adding a backlight option in the settings would brighten it up.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
er, i wasn't suggesting paying for firmware updates. just that Andy sells these, and he's also historically been able to get Dahua engineering to fix things reported to him by his customers.

I hope your fever gets better. :)
Sorry I was not suggesting that you are suggesting paying for firmware but I am suggesting that certain Chinese sellers who will ONLY provide you the "Secret Firmware's" if you have purchased direct from them otherwise it's going to cost you $$$$$.
PS: Thanks for your kind comments on my recovery.

The one I have came from B&H in NY... it does seem like @ljw2k changed a setting causing the gain control to appear?

Hi @ljw2k... do you remember what the default gain setting on the camera was?
I'm sure it is set to 50% Default.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry I was not suggesting that you are suggesting paying for firmware but I am suggesting that certain Chinese sellers who will ONLY provide you the "Secret Firmware's" if you have purchased direct from them otherwise it's going to cost you $$$$$.
PS: Thanks for your kind comments on my recovery.

I'm sure it is set to 50% Default.
Post a screen shot of your gain slider.