Hikvision ColorVu + 4K (DS-2CD2087G2-L)

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
HFW5241E-Z12E optical zoom. 12x zoom
Fixed lens cam most of them has digital zoom only.
Andy, this camera with the Z12 lens will be used as a license plate camera. It will be in black and white 24/7.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Optical zoom versus digital zoom.

FUNCTION: Digital zoom crops the image down to a centred area with the same ratio as the original, and also interpolating the result back up to the pixel dimensions of the original. this method involves cropping, hence the resolution and quality is reduced

The optical zoom ratio of a digital camera measures how much the lens can actually zoom in to make subjects appear closer. Optical zoom, enlarges a picture while keeping the resolution and sharpness of the picture high.

RESOLUTION AND DIGITAL QUALITY: Digital zoom, crops a portion of the image and then enlarges it back to size. And due to this, image quality is reduced in comparison with the original one.

There is no relation between optical zoom and the resolution of the photo, as optical zoom only enlarges the whole image or the subject to a certain range. So image quality only depends upon the mega pixel (MP) of the camera.

From the article: "After selecting the portion, the software crops the rest of the photo and enlarges the selected area to fit the complete photo frame. The software calculates new values for the pixels that were cropped in order to result in a full frame photo. The main disadvantage of this digital process is that the enlarged photo quality is lower than the original photo taken. "

Digital Zoom vs Optical Zoom - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

Edit: Also this. "Optical and digital zoom are two very different ways to snap a closer photo without moving your feet. Optical zoom — the only zoom that’s really worthwhile — means the camera can zoom using physical lens parts, while digital zoom means the camera uses software to “zoom.” "

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
With a f1.0 lens aperture, it wouldn't surprise me if there's a noticable effect on the depth of field. I have a 4MP ColorVu with a f1.0 lens and ended up opening the case and adjusting it to optimize the focus for closer range.

I'm thinking about getting one of these 8MP models to try out, that's a reasonable price for what it is. I do wish it were in a turret style.
How did you open the case? I would love to tweek my 6mm just a tad for closer range. My 4mm turned out to be better than expected.

Reaction score
I just received my DS-2CD2087G2-L on firmware V5.5.154 build 200928, and I noticed that when I click on the BLC, WDR, or HLC options, I get a warning message to disable the slow shutter and defog options. However, after searching through all the menus, I can't find either slow shutter or defog. Has anyone else had this issue?

Reaction score
I do not see that firmware on the Hikvision Portal.

View attachment 84778
Could it be that the DS-2CD2087G2-L is a US or North America version only with unique firmware? When I checked the Europe portal, all firmware specifically lists the DS-2CD2087G2-L(U) version.

Is anyone in the US with a non-(U) version running a firmware from the Europe portal?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Could it be that the DS-2CD2087G2-L is a US or North America version only with unique firmware? When I checked the Europe portal, all firmware specifically lists the DS-2CD2087G2-L(U) version.

Is anyone in the US with a non-(U) version running a firmware from the Europe portal?
Built-in microphone for real-time audio security (-U) so I take it yours does not have a Microphone.

Reaction score
Built-in microphone for real-time audio security (-U) so I take it yours does not have a Microphone.
Correct. Does the firmware for the (-U) version have the options to disable slow shutter and defog? If so, I'm wondering if the (-U) firmware can be installed on a non-(-U) camera.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I have not seen those options in my Camera's menu. I would get in touch with your dealer who you purchased it from and ask them before you rush into flashing firmware.

k110

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just received my DS-2CD2087G2-L on firmware V5.5.154 build 200928, and I noticed that when I click on the BLC, WDR, or HLC options, I get a warning message to disable the slow shutter and defog options. However, after searching through all the menus, I can't find either slow shutter or defog. Has anyone else had this issue?
Mine, from Belgium, was also on the 5.5.154 firmware when delivered, upgraded tot 5.5.160 to have the LED on motion feature.

Disable slow shutter -> configuration -> image -> Exposure Settings -> default is 1/12 and that's really slow, gives a very bright picture at night but moving objects will be blurry, try with 1/25 and go up from there, every environment is different.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I have not been 100% in favor of the location of this camera. So, I had a brilliant idea this morning based on the success of the 4mm version. I can lower the camera and move it forward around 7+ feet and put the camera closer to face high and closer to the sidewalk for excellent identification of passerbys. The 4mm version was so good IMHO that I just ordered another one from Andy for this new location. It will be under the eave of the porch covering at the edge and in the middle. It is what you see at the very bottom of this photo.

Camera LP5 4K.jpg

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
As promised here is a night video of a car passing by. I am using PAR38 90 watt LED floodlight bulbs and the aim of the light is more pointed and concentrated in one area, and I think that is causing too much contrast with the white cars in the foreground and the dark background at night for this camera. I am looking into getting PAR30 75 watt LED bulbs that have a wider beam so that the light is not as concentrated in one area. Here is the video. In 24 hours the 4K version should be up on YouTube. :(

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, I lowered the wattage of my security lights from 90 to 75 and changed the bulb style from PAR38 to PAR30. I can see some improvement not only in the darker areas but the cars driving by are more detailed. There is still plenty of light out front and I may drop the wattage again to maybe 60 watts and see what happens. This is an interesting experiment. ;) Here is a picture.

Camera LP6 With Less Light.jpgCamera LP6 With Less Light.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LOL - I was doing something similar last night and turned off all the porch and garage lights and left just the flood light on. In most instances the cameras performed better with less light. A few of my cameras also sucked without the porch lights on.

Between mine and your examples, and probably many others here if we searched or if people posted, really shows how location specific of each camera really is and so many light variables influence how the camera performs.

But who would have thought a camera would perform better with LESS light...now in your instance I can see that because there is so much light reflection off of the white vehicles. Wonder if you parked two dark vehicles there if your results would be the same...

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the problem with more light could be the dynamic range as the contrast between light and dark areas becomes greater.

ZeeCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I noticed the same issue more bright flood lights are worse for camera then lower wattage side lights. I did turn on BLC to help this a bit.