Hikvision DS-2CD2035-I - every 2 minutes drops network

yellowbunny

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I've got 6 Hikvision DS-2CD2035-I cameras (firmware V5.4.0 build 160401) connected to a Netgear POE switch, and that switch is going to a Mac Mini running Shinobi, with a shared network connection that's not visible to the outside world, no router (though I put in a 192.168.254.1 address as gateway), and cameras have static IP addresses (192.168.254.x) set through Hikvision GUI. So on Shinobi (similar to blue iris), I'm getting a quick drop in the feed every two minutes for all cameras. This didn't happen when I had the cameras connected to a Hikvision POE NVR (which was a PITA to access and use, hence jumping to Shinobi to check it out), so I'm trying to figure out where the problem is. Is there something in the Hikvision firmware that would trigger a reset every two minutes or so? I'm using a StarTech USB31000S USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter for my second network port to feed the unmanaged Netgear 8 port POE switch.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing I can think of would explain this.

Try viewing the stream in VLC media player to see if it does the same thing. Could be your Shinobi VMS's fault.

yellowbunny

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Switched from StarTech USB adapter to drive the camera switch to the built-in ethernet, and no change. On OS X, there is a energy-efficient-ethernet mode, and I turned that off (see here: Using energy-efficient-ethernet mode on Macs may cause drops) but still no change.

So yes, thanks for the VLC heads up, I didn't think of that. I sat there and watched multiple feeds on VLC and the timestamps never stopped, but Shinobi monitors went black lost the feed for a few seconds, and the files were cut and new recordings started. So it's something going on there, I'll post on their forums. Thanks.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there something in the Hikvision firmware that would trigger a reset every two minutes or so?
There is the 'network+deamon' (sic) in that version of firmware that triggers a network reset on a timed basis - but only when it detects no packet count.
Presumably you are pulling traffic steadily in your configuration, so on the face of it this should not be the cause.

A few posts on that topic, for example : 5.4.5 Network Disconnected Exceptions
And : Search Results for Query: network_deamon | IP Cam Talk

One of the workarounds was to create a regular ping to the camera IP address - that may be worth an experiment.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I sat there and watched multiple feeds on VLC and the timestamps never stopped, but Shinobi monitors went black lost the feed for a few seconds, and the files were cut and new recordings started. So it's something going on there, I'll post on their forums. Thanks.
Another possibility is that the RTSP 'keep-alive' process is bugged in the Shinobi software, causing a timeout / stop / re-negotiate of the RTSP stream.

soulja

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know you are not connected to the Internet.. but i had this Problems with a chinese camera i used in Germany. It rebootet every two minutes and it was a Region lock "Feature"