Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IS bricked, in search of help

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hey all.

I setup 4 DS-2CD2132F-IS cameras the other day. Today one of them would not function. It would not be seen by SADP software. I am unable to Telnet into it. Set computer ip to 192.0.0.128 with mask of 255.255.255.0. Tried the 192.0.0.64 and would not connect.

Downloaded the Hikvision TFTP software. Tried to connect with it and it wouldn't either. I have tried to hold down reset button and power off and on holding button for 30+ seconds. The small LED on the board just flashes at me.

Any tips on what to do next?

Thanks

Bill

oh, it was running v5.2.8 per the sticker on the bottom

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
This might be one of those fairly rare hardware failures.

A couple of maybe dumb suggestions, apologies if you have already tried these.
Change the power supply, or use a 12v external if it was powered over PoE.
What's the state of the LAN LED on the switch or router it's connected to?
When the computer and camera are connected to your normal LAN, and the computer has the 192.0.0.128 IP address, at a command prompt use 'ping -t 192.0.0.64' and power on the camera a few times.
Do you see a response for a few seconds as the camera is powered on?
If not - that's not promising, and recovery such as TFTP will not work.

The only other thing to try - and it may be a bit of a stretch, would be to connect a TTL serial to USB adaptor to the console connector on the camera board. But it may show nothing, and involves some dismantling, maybe not a good idea if you have any chance of your seller providing a replacement.

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A couple of maybe dumb suggestions, apologies if you have already tried these.
Change the power supply, or use a 12v external if it was powered over PoE.
What's the state of the LAN LED on the switch or router it's connected to?
I have used both the POE switch and a 12volt supply. The POE status led is on solid. The Link/ACT led is blinking slow.

When the computer and camera are connected to your normal LAN, and the computer has the 192.0.0.128 IP address, at a command prompt use 'ping -t 192.0.0.64' and power on the camera a few times.
Do you see a response for a few seconds as the camera is powered on?
If not - that's not promising, and recovery such as TFTP will not work.
Did this and got a reply, 2 lines. Then went to General Failure. See pic below.

I have noticed that if I sit and watch it ping that every 13-15 pings or so it gets a response. Must be in a boot loop.

The only other thing to try - and it may be a bit of a stretch, would be to connect a TTL serial to USB adaptor to the console connector on the camera board. But it may show nothing, and involves some dismantling, maybe not a good idea if you have any chance of your seller providing a replacement.
Gonna try for a exchange before going to this extreme.

thanks for the input.

Bill

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That suggests the camera may still be recoverable with TFTP. Try disabling your firewall while you run the TFTP software.

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Today I was not even able to talk to it with TFTP. Working with seller for a replacement.

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried one more time today. Was able to upgrade firmware from here using TFTP program from Hikvision. SADP does not see camera. I can Telnet into it using root/12345 as user/password.

Says cant chdir to home directory '/root/'

If I ping -t 192.0.0.64 I keep getting a reply.

Now what? At least it seems I have stopped the boot loop

Bill

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you've flashed new firmware onto it and it still won't boot up normally, then it is probably not coming back...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
As it's responding to a ping on the default address, and not looping, have you tried using the URL http://192.0.0.64 in the browser?

If you can telnet into it, grab a copy of the kernel log file, there may be some clue in there as to the state of the camera. Though it's a cryptic thing that needs some interpretation, and is also usually full of errors anyway.
But before you do that, here are some easier things you could do, and post back here where we can comment on them.

df
mount
cat /proc/mtd
ps

And the kernel log can be grabbed like so:
cat /proc/kmsg
then type Control-C to get back to the command prompt.

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
will this give me a log or will I have to screen shot it for you
I am using putty to telnet in

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
PuTTY has a large screen rollback that you can copy to Notepad or anything similar for saving and picking bits out of. Click the top left corner icon for a menu.
The earlier commands might be easier - the kernel log can be pretty big.
How do you rate your chances with the seller?

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As soon as I get back home I will post the log for you. The seller will take back and send new one but shipping to China a pain

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok what firmware have you tried to put on the camera?

From the looks of the pings yes the camera is trying to do a boot loop,
If its a new chinese camera then you have to use 5.2.5 only. Download a copy and follow my brick recovery guide.
The Chinese are not hacking the cameras in the same way as the forum, this is show in the high levels of there failures.

Did you try the mtd hack or try to tftp 5.3.0?
Again not an issue if you kept your files.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
This is the culprit - will result in no working file system in RAM, so the camera won't work normally:
<6>Unpacking initramfs...
<0>Initramfs unpacking failed: junk in compressed archive
<6>Freeing initrd memory: 4096K
I had this on my 3332 camera after a firmware update. Fortunately, before doing anything (IT background ...) I'd made backup copies of all the mtdblocks in case I hit problems.
I restored mtdblock11, where initrd resides, and all was OK again.
Though I suspect in my case, rather than a corrupt flash segment, it was an inconsistent firmware install where they'd changed from initrd to initramfs.

If you had the original mtdblock11 you could likely fix it by just putting it back and then re-installing the right firmware. But presumably you don't have a copy.
But if you feel inclined and adventurous, here is something you could try. You won't make it worse, it no longer fully works.

You need a copy of mtdblock11 off another camera the same model and firmware. You said you had 4 that should be the same.
But how best to grab that copy? Here are some fairly rough suggestions.
Do you have a NAS box that could provide an NFS or CIFS/SMB share? If not, create a shared folder on the Windows PC, for example the folder where the TFTP program exists, guest access.
On a working camera of the same model, access the Storage menu, add the share you created, ensure it works using the Test button. No need to initialise.
Telnet into the working camera.
Use 'mount' to show the detail of the mount point.
eg
# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type ext2 (rw,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
ramfs on /home type ramfs (rw,relatime)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
/dev/ubi1_0 on /dav type ubifs (rw,relatime)
/dev/ubi3_0 on /davinci type ubifs (rw,relatime)
/dev/ubi4_0 on /config type ubifs (rw,relatime)
192.168.1.201:/cctv1 on /mnt/nfs00 type nfs (rw,sync,relatime,vers=3,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,namlen=255,acregmin=0,acregmax=0,acdirmin=0,acdirmax=0,soft,noac,nolock,proto=tcp,port=65535,timeo=70,retrans=3,sec=sys,local_lock=all,addr=192.168.1.201)
#
Now cd to the external share, in this case:
cd /mnt/nfs00
Then copy mtdblock11 like so:
cat /dev/mtdblock11 > block11

Copy the block11 file into your TFTP folder if not already there.
Now telnet to the failing camera.
Change to somewhere with a bit of free space.
cd /dav
Start the TFTP server on your PC.

Transfer the needed file.
tftp -g -r block11 <your PC or NAS IP address>
Flash it to the required place
cat block11 > /dev/mtdblock11

And reboot and hope for the best.
reboot

Have fun ...

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It has 5.2.5 on it. That the only one I flashed to it. All the other cameras have this also.

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It has 5.2.5 on it. That the only one I flashed to it. All the other cameras have this also.

Telnet into working camera. Ran mount on it. Now it is in Chinese.....

Is there a way to change 5.2.5 back to english?

Last edited by a moderator:

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok what firmware have you tried to put on the camera?

From the looks of the pings yes the camera is trying to do a boot loop,
If its a new chinese camera then you have to use 5.2.5 only. Download a copy and follow my brick recovery guide.
The Chinese are not hacking the cameras in the same way as the forum, this is show in the high levels of there failures.

Did you try the mtd hack or try to tftp 5.3.0?
Again not an issue if you kept your files.
I tried to put 5.2.5 on. Still not able to boot up. I did not try the mtd hack or try to tftp 5.3.0

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Was this to get the working copy of mtdblock11?
'mount' without arguments just lists the mount points - it doesn't change anything. There must be another reason for the menu language change.

At the telnet prompt, prtHardInfo will list the camera language. 1=CN,2=EN/ML

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this works on 5.2.5, but easy to try, and doesn't change anything internally:
It might be worth trying this in the meantime from @Mel42:

I have been using 5.1.6 on a couple of 2332's for a while with 2~3 line detections enabled with no issues, cuts way down on the false motion detections.
For anyone concerned about playing with the firmware and there cam changing to all chinese dont despair you can easily access
english menu by using: "javascript:chooseLanguage("en")", of coarse this will not work if you brick it!

Make a short cut in IE with "javascript:chooseLanguage("en")" as the URL (I call my short cut "English") when you are at the main login screen
(or if you are already logged in) just click on your "English" short cut, all menus will be in english until you log out.

I have 2 chinese only cams that I have not bothered to upgrade because clicking the button is to easy.