Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 2.8mm or 4mm Lens?

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just about to replace my old, yet trusty 3mp DS-2CD2332-I with this new DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MP Cam

Can anyone advice which is the better lens to go for? 2.8mm or 4mm?????? I have no idea or what the pros and cons are.

I use it 24/7 and want it for good night recordings. My 2CD2332 is not as good at night view.

Also, if anyone has done the same and upgraded, is the upgrade worth it?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea or what the pros and cons are.
This is entirely dependent on what field of view you need, and what level of detail at what distance.
Roughly, from memory, 2.8mm gives 90Deg, 4mm gives 70Deg.
My 2CD2332 is not as good at night view.
From reading the forum here about these 4MP cameras low-light performance - you may be better supplementing the lighting with an IR or white light illuminator.

pghcamman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
^ I agree that you may be better using additional IR illuminators as most feedback I've heard is that the 4MP is not noticeably better than the 3MP in low light applications. As for lens 2.8 will give larger viewing and less detail: 4mm smaller viewing area more detail. My experience I like h 4mm better than 2.8mm I gives the best of both worlds viewing area and detail especially for most home applications IMO.

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I have it overlooking the driveway, at the moment my 2.8mm lens goes quite far beyond the drive, so will consider the 4mm.

Will the 4MP Bullet work ok with the Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1-4P NVR? Or will I need to upgrade the NVR firmware?

Lastly, anyone used UK-based selecsecurityproducts.co.uk website to buy the Hikvision 4MP? They have it at a good price, but not sure if they or the cam is legit?

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The smaller the lens, the wider the angle and the more backed out the image will be. Larger is the opposite. Clarity is more about the image sensor itself, while the distal and lateral coverage is more about the lens. Personally I stick with 4s unless a specific scenario calls for otherwise. 2.8mm is a near perfect 90 so is great for corners, I however have been comfortable with 4s in corners just because in most cases I don't need a perfect 90. 75 or so degrees for a 4mm is fine by me. I agree with @pghcamman on this for about the same reason. I'd rather shave off some viewing angle to trade for some closer detail. It's an inverse relationship between the two.

4MPs work perfectly fine with 7600 series NVRs. I have a few systems set up in this manner and they work pretty well.

Never purchased from there. As long as they are western-regioned cameras, you have nothing to worry about. Even if you decide to play Russian roulette and purchase Chinese regioned cameras (NEVER purchase a Chinese regioned NVR) as long as they say multilanguage that means the region is patched to western region and they will work with western region NVRs without any fear of the infamous language mismatch error. I mix pre-patched Chinese cams with US NVRs all the time, for me it's a sensible combination, but I know what my risks are and am willing to take them. There is an infinite amount of documentation on here about regional restrictions. No need to take my word for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As a point of reference, the Hikvision 4MP has the same pixel pitch as the 3MP. Which is 2.2µm. So for any focal length, the 4MP will give you a slightly wider field of view.

How wide you ask?

For 2.8mm
3MP HFOV = 84.3° (2304 x 1296 pixels) Downscaled to output an image that is 1920 x 1080)
4MP HFOV = 88.3° (2866 x 1520 pixels)

HFOV = horizontal field of view.

I find the low light performance of the 4MP to be much better than the 3MP, with IR illumination.

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Brilliant replies,

So has anyone used selecsecurityproducts here in the uk?

P.S. When typing on this forum, why does it miss letters out if u type any faster than a toddler?

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are not official Hikvision Resellers so warranty & support will not be covered by Hikvision UK. If you use voucher code HIKVISION25 on our website, you will get 25% off RRP on all Hikvision products , or contact us directly. Regards
They told me that they are a UK Hikvision partner and it come with 2 year warrantee.

Also, your prices are insane.... £172.80 for the 4MP Turret??? With your voucher it's £138.29.... still £50+ more expensive. Thanks, but no thanks

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not a problem, Good luck when something goes wrong.
No offence, but your prices (before discount) are still higher than everyone out there.

Lets take selec out of the equation, a legit uk hikvision reseller JT Security have them for £120.

So please, don't come on here trying to con us consumers with your inflated prices.

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No offence, but your prices (before discount) are still higher than everyone out there.

Lets take selec out of the equation, a legit uk hikvision reseller JT Security have them for £120.

So please, don't come on here trying to con us consumers with your inflated prices.
To be fair, their prices are fairly normal with the discount (let's be honest, it's not a discount). Maybe 5-10 more expensive than the cheapest.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
netView confirms that shit goes wrong .. =D ... great products they must sell .....

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well the guy only posts spam and advertise his crappy webpage =) .... plus it´s the internet. so why not

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
Brilliant replies,

So has anyone used selecsecurityproducts here in the uk?

P.S. When typing on this forum, why does it miss letters out if u type any faster than a toddler?
TBH That is the cheapest price i have seen anywhere, even from trade only, unless you are buying in bulk you might get around that price... it is so cheap i would actually doubt it is a Uk version.. it may be that cheap and be a Uk version but it seems really really cheap

Another thing that makes me slightly doubtfull, they say they have 9962 !!! that is a lot of units to invest in, would someone actually buy 9962 units and have them sit around, its not like IPCCTV in the Uk is on everyones mind and everyone wants it because they simply dont

if you get one and its a Uk version please do let us know, it will be a good find if it actually is the real deal

Last edited by a moderator:

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess Netviewcctv gave up . She realised that he can´t pick a fight online like this against consumers.

sharpharp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Update: The price quoted by selecsecurityproducts is actually EX VAT.... which is very misleading. You only realise this when you get to the checkout.

When you factor in the VAT, the lack of being a Hikvision reseller, I would avoid like the plague.

Bought one from a genuine reseller jtsecurity, got a great price (just before hk increased uk prices today), item is 100% genuine and I had it delivered today and only a few quid more than selec.

Will post back when I've had a chance to test it. Will compare it against the 3MP version and report back.