Hikvision DS-2CD2x32-I (R0) brick-fix tool / full upgrade method / fixup roundup.

rearanger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So DS-2CD2032-I on 5.2.0 just hex edit it, same method will work on 5.2.0 and 5.2.5 ?????

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So DS-2CD2032-I on 5.2.0 just hex edit it, same method will work on 5.2.0 and 5.2.5 ?????
Yes, that should be OK - but also check to see if mtdblock1 needs the same tweak as those originally on 5.2.8
If in mtdblock1 location 0x0C and 0x8000C have 0, change it to 2
This is where the success result of the last firmware update is held - if it's zero, the newer firmware reverts to min-system mode on the basis that something must have gone wrong on the previous update.
These locations (and the associated 'last firmware version' value) get re-written on each update and will be fine going forward.

blewdub

n3wb
Reaction score
i have some cameras on 5.1.2 and others on 5.2.0. Can I follow the same upgrade process or do I need to be extra cautious?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can I follow the same upgrade process or do I need to be extra cautious?
The 'enhanced mtd hack' should be all that you need to allow full updating of R0 cameras through the various firmware versions.
That's pretty old firmware, though, so it will be worth checking if mtdblock1 has valid, non-zero values in locations 0x0C and 0x8000C
These are the locations that newer firmware uses to determine if the previous update was successful, and if not, go to a recovery mode.

HobbeS

n3wb
Reaction score
Which firmware should I install after executing the enhanced_mtd_hack?

Is it the firmware available here?
DOWNLOAD PORTAL

(I'll do the steps to 5.3.0 then 5.4.0 and then 5.4.5)

zero4s

n3wb
Reaction score
I acquired a DS-2CD3332-I2 with and english firmware hack a few years ago. I thought I was getting the standard DS-2CD2332-I2 camera on amazon warehouse sell but did realize my mistake till many months later. Anyway, Do you think the enhanced mtd hack would brick the camera? It's just sitting on the floor as I never got around to putting it up.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think the enhanced mtd hack would brick the camera?
I don't know the answer to that question - I think it depends on whether the 3332 is just a Chinese market version of the 2332
If it is, and it's the same hardware, then the R0 methods should work OK.
It's listed on the CN website:
海康威视是全球领先的以视频为核心的物联网解决方案提供商
What's the current firmware version? If it's still running older firmware with SSH/telnet access, you could extract mtdblock6 and inspect it, that would probably provide some clues.
It's just sitting on the floor as I never got around to putting it up.
But it sounds like there wouldn't be much to lose in trying.

*edit*
The firmware referenced above on the CN website has the filename IPC_R0_CN_STD_5.4.41_170707.zip
This does suggest that the 3332 is an R0 camera, suggesting the 'enhanced mtd hack' would work OK.
But if you do try - remember it must be done when running 5.2.5 to avoid an mtd hack trap.

Last edited:

HobbeS

n3wb
Reaction score
Excellent! Well done, another good result.
Was this the 'bricked' camera that you've managed to fix, and fully update?
Yes, it was! It went from 5.2.0 to 'bricked' to 5.2.5 - did the enhanced mtd hack (changed in MTD1 the values from 1 to 2 and modified in MTD6 the language from 2 to 1 and updated the checksum) - and updated to 5.4.5!
My other cam was on 5.1.0, updated it to 5.2.5 - did the enhanced mtd hack (but MTD1 was filled with all values on FF, so I didn't changed anything in it, in MTD6 I've changed the language and checksum again) - and also updated to 5.4.5.
On both camera's the devType was already correct.

Thanks a lot!

zero4s

n3wb
Reaction score
I still haven't gotten around to test the MTD hack on the DS-2CD3332-I2 but I did do it on two other cameras with mix results. The first was a success but I goofed the checksum step. I entered the checksum for the entire mtdblock6 when hex editing the file. Surprisingly this did not affect anything and I was able to update the camera to 5.4.5! This might have been a fluke so don't count on it working for you. On the second camera (5.2.5) I followed the steps right this time and did the proper checksum calculation. After rebooting the camera to make sure all was well I tried updating the camera to 5.3.0. Unfortunately the camera did no come back online after the firmware update rebooted the camera. I still probably revive the second camera via recovery methods but that will half to wait for another day. Also the camera that failed had 5.3.0 on the sticker.

sevenone

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a DS-2CD2032-I that is one I purchased off Aliexpress. Currently running 5.2.5 firmware but I am not sure what the original firmware was. Unfortunately where it is located it makes it difficult to read any label on it. It does have a CH serial number.

I have extracted the mtdblock6 but before doing any changes I thought I would check the checksum. Using HxD I get a checksum-16 of 0EF8. Bytes 04/05 are 6C/0C.

Is this likely that my method is incorrect? Or is it possible the current checksum is incorrect?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Or is it possible the current checksum is incorrect?
That does seem to be often the case - but I have no idea why.
If you follow the 'enhanced mtd hack' procedure you should get a good result.
Check the mtdblock1 values also at 0x0C and 0x8000C If they are 0, change them to 2, just in case the original firmware was 5.2.8, which seems to need this change.

sevenone

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the confirmation.
The change worked well on a 2032 & 2132. I needed to do the mtdblock1 change so likely they were 5.2.8 originally.

Next to tackle is a 2732....

sevenone

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick note to say I managed to upgrade a 2732 camera as well. Thankyou all for the easy & clear instructions.

Hey, is there any way to change the Serial Number on the units? Would be nice to get rid of the CH in there :) Not a big issue though.