Hikvision DS-7608 NI-E2/8P & DS-2CD2042WD-I ENDLESS ISSUES

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm glad we're friends again.:D I too blame Hikvision, it always seems like they fix one problem and then the fix makes two other problems. I also wondered if these units might just be from a defective batch, some of the problems seem so consistent. My original post kind of hijacked this thread and I'm looking forward to seeing the OP's problems get solved.

maxum

n3wb
Reaction score
It’s made interesting reading seeing both your thoughts and experiences thank you! I will persevere for now on the issues I am having with this NVR but as Del Boy has said, sometimes enough is enough and I would possibly look to other options further down the line if there wasn’t any improvement.

Problem 2 still remains unfortunately. Today there have been about 6 skips in recording video on one camera. I’m unsure of how this could be fixed.

Problem 4 has improved, using VSPlayer does improve playback drastically compared to VLC and downloading direct from the NVR cancels out any network transfer issues.

Problem 3: I have tried as explained changing the local dir with no luck. There are issues surrounding OS X and the NVR as stated on this forum. Hopefully a fix by November may improve things.

Problem 1: Live playback does view better at a lower resolution and quality however at full resolution I am still unable to view video in the daytime using IE over a gigabit wired connection. I can only assume that it’s a network issue somewhere.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
run some continuos pings while your trying to playback and see if your dropping packets, if your streaming via UDP any poor network performance will absolutely ruin video.

ping both the cameras and the video recorder continuously at the same time.

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Like nayer said, I wonder if the CPU of your client machine(s) could be causing some of this. I was running off a two-year-old Mac when I had your NVR. I could run and record at 2688 X 1520 successfully, both in IVMS-4200 Mac and Safari (except for the gaps in the recording) and play recorded clips at speed via VLC (Quicktime doesn't have the codecs needed). One of the 4MP cameras was even on a Powerline adapter. When I tried to play some clips on my old Windows 9 machine via VLC at work I got some of the playback symptoms you described. As Del Boy asked, What happens if you plug in a monitor and download to a USB stick? Also, does Live View work in that same scenario?

As far as downloading the video clips, after I changed the directory to a folder that had read/write privileges as you described everything worked, so I don't know whats up with that. Are you clipping with the little scissors in IVMS-4200?

Last edited by a moderator:

maxum

n3wb
Reaction score
run some continuos pings while your trying to playback and see if your dropping packets, if your streaming via UDP any poor network performance will absolutely ruin video.

ping both the cameras and the video recorder continuously at the same time.
Thanks for the advice, will defiantly try pinging the cameras and recorder. Streaming via UDP is an issue but the only way at the moment before a fix being released November time for me to view via OS X.

maxum

n3wb
Reaction score
Like nayer said, I wonder if the CPU of your client machine(s) could be causing some of this. I was running off a two-year-old Mac when I had your NVR. I could run and record at 2688 X 1520 successfully, both in IVMS-4200 Mac and Safari (except for the gaps in the recording) and play recorded clips at speed via VLC (Quicktime doesn't have the codecs needed). One of the 4MP cameras was even on a Powerline adapter. When I tried to play some clips on my old Windows 9 machine via VLC at work I got some of the playback symptoms you described. As Del Boy asked, What happens if you plug in a monitor and download to a USB stick? Also, does Live View work in that same scenario?

As far as downloading the video clips, after I changed the directory to a folder that had read/write privileges as you described everything worked, so I don't know whats up with that. Are you clipping with the little scissors in IVMS-4200?
I have tried a macbook pro with maxed out spec, only 1 year old and a 5k imac with the same results (Problem 1).

I hooked up a monitor and downloaded the video to a usb stick and this did improve the playback along with using VSPlayer. Live view works well directly through the monitor, however is limited to 1080 resolution.

I don't know either with the directory, most likely a permissions problem I agree with that.

No I selected the time I wanted and then selected from the available clips but that was direct on the NVR

maxum

n3wb
Reaction score
Very strange that you can't change the resolution hooked up directly to the NVR. Does it say that it's an unsupported resolution or that the connection failed?
No I meant that when I hook up the monitor, the maximum I can view the camera video at is 1080 as its limited to the display output.

Hotelone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But you can change the resolution to 2688 X 1520 say, and still view the feed or the footage, although in actual 1080P because of the monitor's max, right? I'm confused...

maxum

n3wb
Reaction score
But you can change the resolution to 2688 X 1520 say, and still view the feed or the footage, although in actual 1080P because of the monitor's max, right? I'm confused...
Yeah thats right completely what you said directly off the monitor connected

maxum

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently purchased a DS-7608 NI-E2/8P NVR to work with two 4MP Hikvison Bullet Cameras.

After installing this system I have had endless issues and would appreciate any help as I am near returning the entire system back to amazon.

1. Playback at 2688 X 1520 or 1920 X 1080 will not work. I am just left with empty grey sections after selecting the camera. I have tried on Windows 10, IE, Firefox and on El Capitan, Safari and Firefox. I have tried changing the connection type from TCP to UDP with no change. The only time I may be able to playback at 1080p UDP would be at night...Bandwidth issue? I'm running on a wired gigabit network.

2. One of the two cameras keeps skipping during recording resulting in missing footage.

3. I cannot download the video on both OS X browsers as I get the error "Downloading Failed" even after changing the local dir.

4. Downloaded video via windows 10 during playback is no fluent and if skipped a few minutes along the video becomes pixelated an greyed out until motion moves across a certain part of the screen but never recovers back to normal.

I'm only running two 4MP cameras on this NVR and I see that it supports 5MP.

I also have no had any luck with IVMS for either Windows or OS X. Playback fails, live view fails and the program freezes when I try to download.

As you can see my first impression of this system are very poor. Browser viewing, playback etc. seems to be non-existent.

Live View via the iPhone app however seems to be better, however is not completely fluent and playback again does not load.

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks
Hi, just thought I would update as to what I have done and how the issues have progressed. Could be helpful for people in the future.

Whilst I still had the opportunity to return the DS-7608-NI-E2-8P I did and ended up getting an DS-7608-NI-I2-8P in the hope of some improvement in playback. I did see immediate improvement using this system and as such this did fix the playback issues of problem 1. I don't know why, as members have said that this NVR is more than capable of supporting 4mp cameras. Maybe I was just unlucky with a faulty NVR.

Problem 2 was a faulty camera. Replacment installed and recording constantly 24/7.

I have not had problem 3 since the swap in NVR's, however I suspect was a local machine dir issue, something simple.

I am able to download fluent video now which does playback fine. I suspect that part of this issue was again caused by the faulty camera, using VSPlayer also helped greatly so problem 4 has been solved.

I am happy to say now that the system is up and running and doesn't appear to have any issues. Thanks for all the help.

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just created an account on this great forum so I can partially confirm maxum's issue...well, not quite an issue, but more a specs-related thing.

To backup maxum's issue, which is basically written in the specs: this NVR only has 80Mbs/80Mbs incoming/outgoing bandwidth and this is why connecting high Mp cameras may cause issues while playback or recording. Based on Hik's recommendations a good bit-rate to record files @ 5Mp resolution would be at least 16Mp/10-15fps, so who wants 25-30fps @5Mp cameras should choose either a lower bit-rate (although, during the night that's not a very good option), either choose a low-fps (5 to 10fps), either look for a faster NVR (160Mb for example). Anyway, @16Mbs web plugin will most likely not be working if main-stream is choose, so either you'll need to choose the sub-stream, either you'll need to watch an HDMI monitor connected to NVR. BTW, 5Mp resolution will be down-scaled by the NVR to 1080p anyway and some details will get lost; from experience, the 1280x960 images look more resolving than 2560x1920 on my SONY 52" 1080p TV; also tested on IPS HP 24" monitor and got the same results.

To make this short:
- you need [16Mbs (8x2048Kbs)] L.E.: 8Mbs - 8x1024Kbs for the sub-stream, so you can remotely see all the connected cameras from your mobile phone or tablet, via Hik's streaming portal;
- the remaining 72Mbs need to get divided to the attached cameras; in my case 72/8=9Mbs per camera (based on Hik's recommendation I may not be able to use 1080P resolution with 8 x cameras @25fps connected; perhaps for 10-15fps will do, never tried).

Anyway, I'm using with success 8 x DS-2CD2052-I 5Mp cameras, but I've settled down to only 1280x960 resolution because:
- 1.33 (1280/960) is the native aspect ration of my cameras, so I can only use 1280x960 or 2560x1920, otherwise I get image cropping & zooming and instead of a 70 degrees horizontally field of view I can only remain with about 60 degrees (I really need the widest possible setting, so choosing this resolution was a no-brainer for me).
- I can use 25 fps or even 30 fps for file recording and for viewing too (for 8 cameras, 5 Mp resolution is not an option for this NVR).
- With motion-recording enabled and all 8 cameras having the motion stream setup @ 8192Kbs/VBR/highest-quality settings, on 4TB I will have overwriting at about 18 weeks; yes, it will store my files for about 18 weeks then will start overwriting...kinda overkill, I know, but that's it...I already have 2x2TB HDD installed inside and I can't change that.
- Playback is decent via the web plugin (tested on Windows 7 @ IExplore and OS Sierra @ Safari), but for CBR of 4Mbs or more is struggling to playback, so either I choose 640x480 (the sub-stream) that works great, either I choose 4096 Kbs VBR that does a good job. Also, while watching the sub-stream (640x480) I can manually choose the main-stream for some camera and I can watch in details the image.

Oh, not to forget, with H.264+ enabled (default setting) playback is better, but when H.264+ is disabled playback is sometimes not so smooth. I always need to keep H.264+ disabled because it smudges edges and details, especially nightly.

My conclusions: this NVR has a price/quality ratio that fits my need and I can recommend it to those that are comfy with my review from the above. If all settings are done well then this NVR should be fine for most of those that need home/office surveillance.

Regards,
Raul.

L.E.: Downloading files through web interface was not working for me. I need to use the iVMS for Win or Mac to download the files. Also, iVMS for OS Sierra is not able to do playback yet, but can download the files if you know the exact timeline (at this moment iVMS for Mac is fully compatible with El Capitan, but not with Sierra).

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
L.E.: Downloading files through web interface was not working for me.
With what browser, and what error? Apparently doing it, but the result not found?
With IE11, it may be a permissions / trust issue, with the files being dropped in to the 'Windows VirtualStore hidden location' under Temporary Internet files.
If so - try adding the NVR IP address to IE 'Trusted Sites', or as an experiment, Run as Administrator.

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
IE11 and Safari. I can live view, playback, setup things in the Configuration menu etc., but can't download recorded files, no matter folders and permissions. Anyway, I'm using iVMS4200 to download files and this works flawless (just don't have Live View and Playback on OS Sierra, but it should work on El Capitan; on Windows it works perfectly, of course).

Thanks!

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A month ago I modified play/record resolution on all 8 cameras to 5Mpx, with a fps of 15 and bitrate as follow:

Main stream (used for playback on browser, but also on NVR's attached monitor when full-screen) - 16 Mbs
- 8 cameras x 5Mpx @ 15fps, 2048 Kbs

Substream (used for playback on browser or EZVIZ app, but also on NVR's attached monitor when multi-screen) - 4 Mbs
- 8 cameras x VGA @ 15 fps, 512 Kbs

Event stream (used for motion recording only) - 76 Mbs
- 6 cameras x 5Mpx @ 15 fps, 10240 Kbs
- 2 cameras x 5 Mpx @ 15 fps, 8192 Kbs

Incoming bandwidth = substream + event stream = 80 Mbs.
Outgoing bandwidth = main stream = 16 Mbs.

So right now I'm using 8 cameras @ 5 Mpx making use of full 80 Mbs of the DS-7608NI-E2/8P NVR, recording being done by event (motion, intrusion and line crossing). Seems to hold up pretty good till now and hope it will last for years. :)

The main advantage of 5 Mpx recording over the 1.3 Mpx or 2 Mpx would be the ability of zooming-in while doing the playback of recorded video to get the most out of camera's sensor. Basically, a simple one-step zoom-in while doing recordings playback will show up the whole resolution of camera's sensor, without any digital interpolation.