Hikvision DS-7608N-E2/8P Reset Button?

yellowbunny

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,
I picked up what was supposed to be a Hikvision DS-7608-E2/8P NVR last fall and just got around to installing it (long list of other priorities that took up too much time) and for the life of me I cannot log in, or reset the password with the SADP tool. I think it's a knockoff Hikvision product as the login screen looks different compared to all the Hikvision password reset tool videos I saw on YouTube (and the Hikvision label is upside down on the front of the NVR, ha), and I have another Hikvision NVR at work and that one looks like I expect - dark login/layout - this new one has a nice white background and layout as a login screen. I was looking for a reset button to reset this unit to see if I can get a password working but can't find a button anywhere on it. Unit was purchased from t-maxe on eBay (he still has them currently up there for $182.50, here). I sent him an email but no response yet. Using SADPtool I get an error when trying to input the security code from this forum's password generator tool. NVR software version per SADP is v3.4.80 build 160718, and DSP (what's DSP?) is v5.0 build 160716.

I also plugged in three Hikvision DS-2CD2035-I cams (also gray market I assume - firmware is v5.4.15 build 160608, says camera can't be upgraded on box) so it would be wise to say that they pulled whatever password came with the NVR upon boot?

I plan to lock this unit down and remove all outside internet connectivity as I don't trust them, but I need to log into the NVR to get things going first.

Any ideas?

Finally, any good place to get genuine upgradable Hikvision stuff? Or are there better brands out there?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I was looking for a reset button to reset this unit to see if I can get a password working but can't find a button anywhere on it.
There is no reset button on that model.
Judging from this comment :
Notice:please dont upgrade by yourself,contact the seller if you want upgrade the NVR!
it's probably running 'hacked to EN firmware'.
One way to perform a full system reset is to do a firmware update (to the same version as installed) with the Hikvision tftp updater.
This will wipe the configuration and reset the password to default.
I don't recall if on 3.4.80 it has the 'Inactive' starting state, but either way the password is reset.
The likely problem will be that if it's truly a CN model you'll end up with the 15 beeps '!!!You device is illegal !!! !!!You bought in China !!!' (sic) complaint if you use EN firmware, or CN menus if you use the CN firmware.
But if it's actually not a CN device, you will be home and dry.

Either way - I could help you get the NVR into a working state if it's genuine Hikvision and not an OEM model.

yellowbunny

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Where would I find the tftp utility? I can't find it on the hikvision website, nor do they list a firmware for the e2 model.

ansel

n3wb
Reaction score
I just installed one of these Wednesday. First, someone assumed that it has hacked software, maybe but easy way to find out. Hikvision uses a 9 digit serial number for their surveillance products. Look at it with SADP tool and see what it lists in the column named Device Serial No. the last nine digits of this field is the serial number. The two letter prior to the serial number will be either CH or WR. If it's WR it's a US authorized product and you can just call Hikvision support and they can help you reset the admin password. If the two letters prior to the serial number are CH then you have a Chinese version and you'll get no support from Hikvision USA so don't waste your time calling them. If you upgrade the firmware of a CH device with a firmware from US it will brick the device. To restore is painful and may not be possible. I have recovered three CH cameras with tftp and it's a pain!
If the NVR has never been installed (unless it's a pretty old firmware) you'll need to activate the device first. Try default admin password of "123456".
If it's CH you'll need to go through a lot of hoops before you get it to work and the outcome may not be satisfactory. You may want to consider buying a new NVR they are less than 200 bucks without a hard drive. If you have the time you can learn a lot trying to restore it but if it's hack firmware only GOD knows the results. GOOD LUCK !

ansel

n3wb
Reaction score
all of the firmware for Hikvision surveillance products can be found at tech.hikvisionusa.com. Be absolutely sure its for your device, the firmware is not check against device, so you can load the wrong software and then it's bricked.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
all of the firmware for Hikvision surveillance products can be found at tech.hikvisionusa.com.
You won't find 'hacked to English' firmware there lol!
And it's worth knowing that the biggest selection (with older versions) is here : DOWNLOAD PORTAL
Thanks for the info. Where would I find the tftp utility? I can't find it on the hikvision website, nor do they list a firmware for the e2 model.
Check your 'Conversations'.

yellowbunny

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So to follow up, I finally was able to get ahold of the seller, located in Europe, and he contacted Hikvision Europe, gave them the SADP code I exported and a few minutes later I got the unlock code. It took me awhile to get the cameras connected to the NVR - I needed to change the IP from 192.0.0.x to the NVR's internal POE network of 192.168.254.x, then turn off EZVIZ Cloud P2P, which was enabled by default on all my cameras, pointed to dev.ys7.com - not sure what that was but I've blocked all internet access to the NVR anyways through the router. I left UPnP checked on the cameras, but since they are connected directly to the NVR I didn't think that's a problem, as it will be unused?

I set the IPs, changed and updated passwords (and switched to manual settings in the Camera Settings area of the NVR) and I can see the images fine in Live View (OS X 10.9.5, Safari 9.1.3) when connecting to the cameras using the Virtual Host option after installing the Web plugin (3.0.6.12), but I cannot get them working for me reliably in the live view of the NVR with TCP or Multicast - and only hit and miss with UDP. Last night I could see all three cams live with the UDP Live View selection on the NVR even though I saw the live view fine with TCP when logging into each camera. This morning I logged in and only one cam was in Live View - and it was just a static image. Going to all three cams directly I could see the live view just fine still.

So I tried Firefox 53, and it just stumbles and says no plug in detected and I can't even add it manually (even after adding Boolean exception to re-enable NAPAI support - Hikvision plug in). So what's going on with this?

My NVR specs:
Firmware v3.4.80 build 160718
Encoding v5.0 build 160716
Web v4.0.1 build 160714
Plugin v3.0.6.6

My camera specs:
Firmware v5.4.0 build 160401
Encoding v7.3 build 160401
Web v4.0.1 build 160324
Plugin v3.0.6.1

yellowbunny

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Stupid forum is now saying I can't edit my post due to spam? Idiots. NPAPI, not NAPAI