HikVision DS-7608NI-E2/8P - some pics and first impressions

Killerjay

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, seems like you guys know what youre talking about with this unit, maybe you guys can help answer a few questions about the DS-7608NI-E2.
I was looking on aliexpress at some cameras and noticed that 4mp cams go at h265. Which i want because the substream is at 720p. But will it work on this nvr?
Full HD Motion Detection alarm metal ONVIF H.265 Security IP Camera 2MP 3MP 4MP Outdoor P2P Waterproof Vandalproof CCTV Camera -in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
I was looking at the 4mp 48v poe camera. I wanted to buy 6 of these cameras and set them all on 4mp so i can then stream them to multiple devices in my house through the android app "tinycam monitor pro"
I see that this nvr supports up to 5mp but everywhere i look 4mp and up seem to be h265. So im confused.
Also, would i be able to record all 6 cams at 4mp? I see that it says in the specs 6 channels at 1080p, does that mean that this is the highest resolution it can record at? If thats the case, can it record at 1080p but keep the 4mp setting so i can still stream at 720p?
So sorry for the long post, just have so many questions and its hard to find correct answers.

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can't seem to get the NVR to power on no more. It has been running from July to a couple days ago fine.

I think the delta power supply died in mine. There was no smoke or burning smell or anything like that. There is no voltage coming out of the red / white wires where it says +52 volt (from power supply to main board).

Anyone have any ideas on what I can test or how I can try and fix this?
Hi,

Is the fan or HDD spinning? Any lights ON? Might sound stupid, but have you checked the main fuse?
I wonder how many cameras were powered through your NVR (what % of PSU power was used to power those cameras)?

Thank you,
Raul.

Last edited:

revvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Installed the Noctua fan in my Hikvision DS7608NI-E2. The Noctua came with the adapter that plugged right into the motherboard so no soldering required. Definitely quieter than the stock fan.
Did you disable the fan in the PSU? Any issues?

trl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just realised that the fan included in this PSU is auto-adjusted, based on the internal temperature, so it will spin faster if hot air gets inside the PSU. However, my NVR is located in a 40-42C attic, inside a semi-ventilated shelf and the top case was so hot that I was afraid not to damage something inside (chip, PSU, HDD or any other components). Hence, I had installed a 2nd fan on the right side (there's an adequate place for it, quite no-brainer and easy to do) so it can remove more of the hot air from inside the NVR this way.

I'm not hoping this way my NVR will last forever inside such a hot attic like I have, but at least I'm trying to be precautious somehow. :)

intotech

n3wb
Reaction score
This is an amazing thread! to confirm an International version NVR will work with Chinese (hacked to English) cameras?

Eugene K

n3wb
Reaction score
This is very helpful, got two Noctua fans to quiet the NVR down from Amazon yesterday. The case one seems to be easy to replace, what about the power supply one? Do I need to splice any wires? I haven't opened the NVR yet, but the fan has 3 wires and PSU is two right?

star500

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd have no problem doing this. mine is loud also.m I moved it out of the small cabinet where all my other tv and stereo stuff is and put it on the rug underneath it.. It's not nearly as loud. My wife may let me keep it... But if it's a problem I'll try this myself..

hi i put my NVR in roofspace and wired cameras

used 1 cat6 cable for the usb line extender for mouse control can be used over 60 meters from roofspace to liveing room or office

used other cat6 cable for a hdmi balance to give me hd picture to my tv works well up to 60m roofspace to liveing room or office

no noise and less cables at tv this may help also

Daniel_AU

n3wb
Reaction score
Is anyone able to post a video show how noisy the unit is?

There sees to be a lot of talk about a noisy fan, but I don't really want to open and modify and void warranty. I will be storing my unit in a cupboard in the hallway, so hopefully it wont be to bad.

Thanks.

jamesf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I replaced mine with a Noctua fan back in October 2015.It made the unit almost silent. Yes the fan is built into the PSU but it was not difficult at all. And I did this while having paid full price from B&H so I could have mfg support. They have been helpful when setting up the cameras, IVMS on my Mac and such so that was worthwhile to me.. But as to worrying about voiding the warranty, I have had no issue with the unit at all that required my manufacturers warranty anyhow.

J273

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ive looked through all the specs so im guessing not but does this unit support IR control or is it only mouse?

Thanks