HikVision DS-7608NI-E2/8P - some pics and first impressions

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HOLY S**T

$743 for a 7608NI-E2 w a 2TB drive...

Anyways back on track.

I have 6 cams on PoE, but I will run the test because if I remember correctly, it has always been at full speed.
With 6 cameras it probably will be maxed out. I don't know if having freezing cold temperatures will make the fan quiet, however with 6 cameras it's inevitable.

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you use most of the POE ports the fan probably is maxed out or close to it. It is variable speed though, you can test it if you really want. Unplug the cameras from the POE ports and fire it up, if it is not too warm already you'll barely hear it.

I'm not too sure if the fan speed is only temp controlled or maybe load controlled too. The fans will speed up straight away from having no cameras on the NVR to having one on its POE ports.
Mine is maxed out all the time as well, I'm pretty sure the power supply fan isn't variable speed at all..

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is variable speed. Do as I said above and you'll see what I mean.

In a practical sense, if using most or every POE port it will most likely be maxed out.

Again as I said above, not 100 percent sure if it is temperature dependent only or load and temp.

I'm sure it gets cold enough over there to test this out. It's just started to warm up here and my NVRs been blasting away.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

In a practical sense, if using most or every POE port it will most likely be maxed out.

Again as I said above, not 100 percent sure if it is temperature dependent only or load and temp.

I'm sure it gets cold enough over there to test this out. It's just started to warm up here and my NVRs been blasting away.
It's pretty cold here and it's still a loud bugger.

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Haha I'm just shocked to learn that its variable speed, I will definitely have to test this out when I get the chance. You're definitely on point about how its cold over here though :D

It's pretty cold here and it's still a loud bugger.
I presume it's more load dependent than temperature, given that the fan is in the power supply (that's the fan we're talking about right?) it would probably be cheaper to implement if dependent on load rather than temperature.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I say that because my NVR doesn't have cameras on the POE ports and as the temperature changes throughout the day so does the fan speed. The load doesn't really change on this NVR as it's doing nothing most of the time.

If there were cameras on the POE ports that would obviously mean more load on the power supply and therefore more heat. So at the same time not sure if it's just one or both.

I would like to freeze my backside off over that way though. It's warming up down here (not even summer yet and its 36 degrees celsius, a bit warm for me).

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I finally got around to testing this out and maybe it's just mine, but it is definitely not a variable speed fan. I powered on the NVR with no cameras connected, ambient temperature was around 10 degrees C. Left it for 15 minutes just to see if it would change, but nothing.

I'm guessing maybe they have more than one kind of power supply? Depends on the market? I have no idea.

revvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I finally got around to testing this out and maybe it's just mine, but it is definitely not a variable speed fan. I powered on the NVR with no cameras connected, ambient temperature was around 10 degrees C. Left it for 15 minutes just to see if it would change, but nothing.

I'm guessing maybe they have more than one kind of power supply? Depends on the market? I have no idea.
It is not just you. Mine is the same, with or without attached PoE cameras.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do believe there are two different power supplies (maybe more) one is a DELTA with the light blue symbol, and the other one is a black symbol ("CHANNEL WELL TECHNOLOGY").

Mine is the Delta one. You guys might have the CW ones.

This makes me wonder if the CW ones are louder than the Delta ones.

revvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Caught my first interaction with the cam today. Some guy running on the street with stolen goods and 4 security guards after him. I have a feeling my system will pay for itself.

msqr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are these NVR PSUs standard? Or are they some custom PSU? It does seem the high pitch whirr is coming from the PSU fan. Wondering if I can swap in a better PSU..

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You might be able to find a 1U server power supply that may fit.

However you will find that unlike a server the NVRs need a +52v rail for the POE ports.

Heres an interesting fact, a ATX power supply will power the NVR through the 6 pin connector meant for graphics cards. You will still need a supply for the POE section so yeah.

msqr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ahh I see. Thanks. Hmm, maybe I can replace just the fan inside the PSU, although cracking open the PSU doesn't make me very comfortable..

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can. There are a few options.

When you take the cover off just dont touch anything that you dont need tom especially the capacitors they can and will give you a nasty shock.

msqr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks! Any suggestions for fan sizes / models to get?

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There's only really a few options

The one I would recommend is the Noctua NF-A4x10 you can find them cheaply on Amazon and etc.

Then you have Scythe, and SilenX. Don't remember which one of these to stay away from. 40mm fans in general are loud due to their size.

Just keep in mind the Noctua has the highest flow out of the 3, and generally considered more reliable. Even then the Noctua only flows about half of what the stock fan flows.

Apart from that you can cut a hole in the top of the NVR to run a bigger fan. Someone has done it, search the forums for pictures.

mudflap5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy this NVR now?
DS-7608NI-E2/8P

Looks like E & M does not carry it any more.

I am in the US.

revvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I suggest Netview via Amazon. They carry the Intl version and have great support via email. I got my whole system from them. Folks here in the office have gone with them as well with no problems.

http://www.amazon.com/s?me=A1STITYLR3EJP5

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

gabemcg

n3wb
Reaction score
I have this NVR setup with Hikvision cameras working smoothly.

Scenario: Someone breaks into where the NVR is located and takes it with them.

1) I assume the recorded videos stored on the internal hard drive are unencrypted and could be had by simply mounting the drive on another system. Is there any way to encrypt the data stored on the NVR internal drive?

2) What is the best way to securely get recorded video offsite to prevent a physical breach from removing any video evidence of a break-in? Does the NVR support some sort of encrypted cloud based service? If I did have physically secure storage locally, would that work (a NAS for example).