Hikvision DS-K8003-IME intercom: how do I setup motion recording?

nicobar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have this configuration:
  • single family home, inhabited and remotely monitored (non accessible because of virus lockdown)
  • one Hikvision DS-KD8003-IME1 doorbell (static IP, default ports)
  • four DS-KH8350-WTE1 indoor stations setup to all ring together (one is master on static IP, the other as extensions)
  • always-on pc with iVMS 4200 running, remotely monitored, used to configure and manage the above and other Hikvision cameras
  • no video server: all other cameras in the house record in their own SD's, except the intercom
  • HikConnect configured, I get ring and picture when somebody rings the intercom

All the above works perfectly, but I have no idea on how to record video from the intercom when a motion is detected: intercom as no SD card slot, and no options to setup recording server like in the other cameras.
The four indoor stations do have a slot for SD, but at this moment there is none installed and I cannot go there. via iVMS I cannot see any option to setup recording from there either.

What I did so far, in the intercom, via iVMS, I setup the motion detection ticking the option to call Alarm Control Center. No other options available, so I presume the Alarm Center, whatever is a video server or iVMS, is in charge of receiving the trigger and start a recording, right?
Since i have no video server, can iVMS 4200 do that? The PC is very fast and always on. How do I setup iVMS (latest version) to do that? All guides I found for iVMS had screenshots from old versions or were too confusing to follow.

Alternatively, what are the SD cards in the indoor stations for? Can they also be setup to record motion detection from the intercom? But again at this moment I have no access to them, I am limited to what I see from iVMS.

Thank you so much in advance if anybody can point me to an updated guide or directions on how to setup motion recording from DS-K8003.

Paskalou

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

For that, I use a NAS Synology by RSTP Protocol.
I can control all my cameras with Surveillance station and access to them from outside by VPN.
If there is a mouvement, the nas store videos few minutes before. (With sound)
I think, it should be the best solution for you too.

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have no idea on how to record video from the intercom when a motion is detected: intercom as no SD card slot, and no options to setup recording server like in the other cameras.
I have a similar setup and would have demanded a refund on day 1 if it weren't such a PITA to take down and replace.

It is just LUDICROUS that the KD8003 doesn't record motion events to the SD card in the master indoor station, or have its own SD card slot.
And nor can it record motion events to my PC hard drive (unless I manually record from the live feed).
It's half-baked, poorly designed, buggy and not fit for purpose.

Don't remind me how much I paid for the door station and four indoor stations plus installation - based on the logic that SD card slots must be for recording motion events.

Hikvision are dishonest with their marketing of this system. I guess no-one would ever buy one if they knew the truth.

Here's an extract from an email I sent to them last week - and I have plenty more gripes which I left out:

a) Please allow me to record motion video events to the SD card! It’s ridiculous that I need another camera to record events in front of the Door Station camera.

b) Please allow me to set a longer time-out on the live feeds to my Indoor Stations! 60 seconds is just annoying. Give me 5 minutes or any amount of time I want. If I burn the screen, then I can be warned but the risk will be mine to take.

c) Please make the illuminated key button built in to the bottom bezel of my Indoor Stations do something useful. It’s crazy that I can’t use it when viewing another camera. And the only time that I can use it (ie when viewing the Door Station live feed), the on-screen button does the same job more easily.

d) Please include the Main Door Station live feed access button on the Network Cameras page, along with my other Hikvision cameras. The user navigation process is tortuous and annoying.

e) Please ensure that all Hikvision and HiLook cameras have a video sub-stream format which is compatible with the Indoor Station screen.

Paskalou

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's also a shame not to be able to read the h265 codec from HIKVISION Cams...

nicobar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

For that, I use a NAS Synology by RSTP Protocol.
I can control all my cameras with Surveillance station and access to them from outside by VPN.
If there is a mouvement, the nas store videos few minutes before. (With sound)
I think, it should be the best solution for you too.

Eventually that is what I did for this intercom, and what I use to do with a bunch of cheap IP cameras long replaced with new Hikvision's.
The problem with the "NAS - driven approach" is that the Synology (Surveillance Station App), in order to record and implement its own motion detection, has to constantly receive the video occupying bandwidth and its CPU resources (which is limited to a bunch of cameras, expecially if you have an older NAS, and surveillance station camera licenses).
The bandwith utilization would become a problem with several cameras (I have 20+ in the house, all hikvision). Instead, I have every camera well setup with its own motion/intrusion/line crossing events, to record on their own SD and the NAS. NAS in this case does not do much beside being a network drive, and the LAN bandwith is occupied only by the cameras that actually detected events.

nicobar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a similar setup and would have demanded a refund on day 1 if it weren't such a PITA to take down and replace.

It is just LUDICROUS that the KD8003 doesn't record motion events to the SD card in the master indoor station, or have its own SD card slot.
And nor can it record motion events to my PC hard drive (unless I manually record from the live feed).
It's half-baked, poorly designed, buggy and not fit for purpose.

Don't remind me how much I paid for the door station and four indoor stations plus installation - based on the logic that SD card slots must be for recording motion events.

Hikvision are dishonest with their marketing of this system. I guess no-one would ever buy one if they knew the truth.

Here's an extract from an email I sent to them last week - and I have plenty more gripes which I left out:
I sadly agree with most of these points. I add that to these days their cameras web interface still use ActiveX and requires IE11, which is simply unbelievable. Hikvision also refuse to provide any end-user support even for US-bought cameras that were bought from B&H, like I did.
But I had many brands of cheaper cameras through the years in this house (large house abroad with lots of land around), and back then it was always continuous reboots, unreliable events, poor image quality. I then switched to HIkvision, I have now more than 20 cameras including expansive PTZ, and I find them very reliable once you set them up properly.
Going back to this intercom. Beside the issue with video recording, I find it to work like a charm: people ring, my phone with Hikconnect rings at the same time, if I don't answer they can leave a message, Hikconnect shows me their pictures. All four indoor stations ring at the same time, when you pickup from one the other three go blank. indoor stations can call each other. In any indoor station I Can soo up to 16 other hikvision cameras. It does work.
I agree I think the SD cards in the indoor monitors are only to store local settings or perhaps something else, but they are also limited to 32GB so I don't think they were ever designed to store video.
The way to store video has to be through the "Notify Surveillance Center" setting in the motion detection setting page. Intercom sense the motion, and tell the local NVR or PC running iVMS4200 to start recording.
So I am now focusing on finding out how to setup iVMS to record in response to a "Notify Surveillance CEnter" event sent by a camera.

Paskalou

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like to take advantage of your presence here to ask you for help me with my electic lock... could you help me ? ;o)

nicobar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would like to take advantage of your presence here to ask you for help me with my electic lock... could you help me ? ;o)

That was very straightforward for me. The intercom has two NO (Normally Open) outputs, so it can open or activate two different things. As I already had an automatic gate system with an additional manual button (NO) to open the gate, I just connect in parallel to it.

If you have a typical 24VAC electric lock, you cannot do the directly and you need a small relay: the 24VAC power flows through the contacts of the relay, and the intercom contacts only power the relay coil, that can be a 12VDC taken from the intercom itself

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am now focusing on finding out how to setup iVMS to record in response to a "Notify Surveillance CEnter" event sent by a camera.
I can assure you that I will be following your progress in the hope of being led to the promised land. I have wasted three months on the quest for this holy grail but I am new to all things Hikvision so may have missed the secret path. Hope dims when I search in Remote Playback for the door station's event recordings, only to be told abruptly by iVMS-4200 that the device does not support this function.

I too have graduated to Hikvision cameras which are much superior in most respects to the cameras I have bought before. But I was seduced by Hikvision's honeyed words about supporting the Mac Os and it cost me thousands to discover that this was untrue. It isn't possible to set up and run Hikvision IP cameras (and other makes) on a Mac. Even after investing in Parallels emulation software, it still doesn't function optimally.

So my experience with the Video Intercom was probably coloured by the fast spreading fog of disappointment I was feeling about Hikvision in general.

To add insult to injury, the night vision feed from my DS-KD8003-IME1 Door Station was obscured by thick clouds of sparkly dust which seemed to be trapped inside the camera's sealed unit. My vendor sent me a replacement and it suffered from the same issue. Eventually, Hikvision sent me a firmware patch a couple of days ago which cured it…but how on earth could they ship a batch, or a firmware update, with such a glaring fault? I have recorded this particular saga for posterity on Youtube and continue to hope that you, and others, will find the vaccine for my Hikvision disease.

Paskalou

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you have a typical 24VAC electric lock, you cannot do the directly and you need a small relay: the 24VAC power flows through the contacts of the relay, and the intercom contacts only power the relay coil, that can be a 12VDC taken from the intercom itself
Electric lock voltage can be adjust (12 vs 24v) but I use POE. So can i simply use this pin ? I have aready checked it with multimeter, there isn't any value. it seems to be the pin to power Kd8003 without POE. correct ?

Attachments

Paskalou

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Eventually, Hikvision sent me a firmware patch a couple of days ago which cured it…but how on earth could they ship a batch, or a firmware update, with such a glaring fault?
I dont understand why there are 2 patches with the same reference : V2.0.8_build200409 and V2.0.8_build191029

but in the website... there isn't patch built 200409....HIK

nicobar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Electric lock voltage can be adjust (12 vs 24v) but I use POE. So can i simply use this pin ? I have aready checked it with multimeter, there isn't any value. it seems to be the pin to power Kd8003 without POE. correct ?
You are right, the 12V contact does not have any voltage when intercom is powered by PoE, it's just to power it directly. If you use PoE you need another source for the relay coil, you may just decide to power it via 12VDC and there is also your power for the coil. Just do not run 24VAC through the COM-NO1 terminals of the device, I would NOT do that. I once burned an OpenSprinkler output channel doing just that.

Reactions: JTS

nicobar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I dont understand why there are 2 patches with the same reference : V2.0.8_build200409 and V2.0.8_build191029

but in the website... there isn't patch built 200409....HIK
In the US website there is a more recent build: Firmware
Just surch for "8003"

And this is another issue with Hikvision: Global, US and EU website offer randomly different versions for their firmwares. I usually scan them all to make sure I get the most recent one

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And this is another issue with Hikvision: Global, US and EU website offer randomly different versions for their firmwares. I usually scan them all to make sure I get the most recent one
All accessible by anyone around the world but not necessarily approved by Hikvision for use in every region. The latest UK-approved firmware for the KD8003 is V2.0.8_build191029. Whether they are just slow to test other, later releases or there are incompatibilities between different regional versions, I don't know.

@Paskalou, the version I mentioned - v2.0.8_build200409 - is a specific bug fix patch produced by Hikvision UK to fix my sparkly dust artifacts. If you don't have this problem, don't install the patch.

nicobar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All accessible by anyone around the world but not necessarily approved by Hikvision for use in every region. The latest UK-approved firmware for the KD8003 is V2.0.8_build191029. Whether they are just slow to test other, later releases or there are incompatibilities between different regional versions, I don't know.

@Paskalou, the version I mentioned - v2.0.8_build200409 - is a specific bug fix patch produced by Hikvision UK to fix my sparkly dust artifacts. If you don't have this problem, don't install the patch.

Mmmm I doubt they made a firwmare "just for you", they probably knew already of this issue and decided to fix it for everybody. Their website does not mention anything about a special release for certain units.
I applied v2.0.8_build200409 since the day of the installation, so maybe before I had the same issue, I don't know. I always go for the latest firmware I can find. In this case even more so, as I bought my intercom in the US, if the US website tells me that that is the firmware for my item, I install it.

Paskalou

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are right, the 12V contact does not have any voltage when intercom is powered by PoE, it's just to power it directly. If you use PoE you need another source for the relay coil, you may just decide to power it via 12VDC and there is also your power for the coil. Just do not run 24VAC through the COM-NO1 terminals of the device, I would NOT do that. I once burned an OpenSprinkler output channel doing just that.
Grrrrrr....
Another idea: may I use the Output pin (12V) from the keypad connected to KD8003 ?

Problem is also present sometimes.

I don't know. i like tests... so ... I will try this evening ;o)

Attachments

Paskalou

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Eventually that is what I did for this intercom, and what I use to do with a bunch of cheap IP cameras long replaced with new Hikvision's.
The problem with the "NAS - driven approach" is that the Synology (Surveillance Station App), in order to record and implement its own motion detection, has to constantly receive the video occupying bandwidth and its CPU resources (which is limited to a bunch of cameras, expecially if you have an older NAS, and surveillance station camera licenses).
The bandwith utilization would become a problem with several cameras (I have 20+ in the house, all hikvision). Instead, I have every camera well setup with its own motion/intrusion/line crossing events, to record on their own SD and the NAS. NAS in this case does not do much beside being a network drive, and the LAN bandwith is occupied only by the cameras that actually detected events.
You are right.
With 20 cams it must be diifcult.
FYI, I made a tuto (I am Esteban) to explain how to use licenses from anothers NAS to a master NAS. ;o)
Forum In french

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mmmm I doubt they made a firwmare "just for you", they probably knew already of this issue and decided to fix it for everybody. Their website does not mention anything about a special release for certain units.
I applied v2.0.8_build200409 since the day of the installation, so maybe before I had the same issue, I don't know. I always go for the latest firmware I can find. In this case even more so, as I bought my intercom in the US, if the US website tells me that that is the firmware for my item, I install it.
They may well have made v2.0.8_build200409 for others too but it is dated 20 April and came in response to my bug report of 18 April. I can't find it listed anywhere in the world so I don't think it has [yet] been made available publicly.