Hikvision EXIR turret cameras - DS-2CD2335 & DS-2CD2345

BlackLight

n3wb
Reaction score
Evening, all

I'm considering buying a Hikvision EXIR camera, and have come across the 2 turret cameras above on eBay, Amazon etc, which are somewhat cheaper than the other EXIR models (which is ringing alarm bells), plus the fact that the model number doesn't follow the the usual 23X2 naming convention and, more importantly, they don't feature on Hikvision's website!

Does anyone have any experience with either of these 2 cameras, and is the quality comparable to the genuine 23X2 range?

Also, is it a mistake on Hikvision's part that they refer to DS-2CD2312-I and DS-2CD2332-I as 'dome' cameras whereas they appear to be 'turret' cameras?

Any comments gratefully received! Within reason.....

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
plus the fact that the model number doesn't follow the the usual 23X2 naming convention and, more importantly, they don't feature on Hikvision's website!
The '5' model suffix is for those intended for the Chinese market.
They are likely running modified firmware to convert them to English region and maybe multi-language menus.

2 turret cameras above on eBay, Amazon etc,
You need to check the product descriptions carefully for what the vendors claim.
But without any links - it's not possible to comment further.

BlackLight

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, Alastair

I'm erring towards the 2CD2335 given that I understand the image quality of the 3MP series is better than that of the 4 MPs.

As an aside, this will be set up as a standalone camera via PoE, so not connected to either DVR or NVR or a 24/7 PC, so will rely on email alerts. Presumably the alerts (i.e. email plus triggered photo) will still be sent from the camera itself?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you going to connect them to an NVR?

You are better off getting DS-2CD2332-I or DS-2CD2342WD-I "WR region" cameras - especially if you want e-mail triggered photos as there's near zero change the 2335 will support that and if it doesn't you won't be able to update the firmware to support it.

BlackLight

n3wb
Reaction score
Nope, no NVR or anything similar - relying solely on email alerts and accessing it via a mobile app.

Thanks for that - I thought the 23X5s seemed a bit too good to be true in terms of price. Looks like it will be 2332 as opposed to the 2342 then, as I've read some fairly mixed reviews about the image quality of the 2342.

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the 23x5 work just fine, Milestone has an odd issue with them though :)

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can't update the 23x5 if you want e-mail alerts. So for the OP they are not "just fine" are they?

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well they do not allow you to update them with english firmware upgrade in any case. I never tried or heard if anyone tested to upgrade one of these cameras with a newr chinese firmware actually.

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well they do not allow you to update them with english firmware upgrade in any case. I never tried or heard if anyone tested to upgrade one of these cameras with a newr chinese firmware actually.
ahh, the chinese firmware does not bother me too much, since we have another pack of these coming I'll see if they have a newer firmware and ask our seller if they have a separate update for the older units that I can post here (so you guys can have english)

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Word of advice, stay away from the 2.8mm, the picture quality is GARBAGE. And that the daytime. Night time is just horrible. Way too much noise, but when u up the DNR, it ghosts like crazy. I tried messing with the iFrame to keep the ghosting down. Also tried messing with the exposure. Even changed it to 1080p. Horrible. I'm swapping them out for some LTS variants but going with 4mm or higher. I'll prob sell the 2.8's on eBay or just keep them in a closet to replace one of the 4mm if they go down.

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Word of advice, stay away from the 2.8mm, the picture quality is GARBAGE. I'll prob sell the 2.8's on eBay or just keep them in a closet to replace one of the 4mm if they go down.
we use them all over the place, don't notice a picture quality decrease from the 2332 (sounds like what you are saying?) about our only issue with them is the Milestone Mobile server flash's gray if you upgrade from 2014 to 2016.. we don't expect huge things of night time vision, but again we've never been spoilt with big sensor Axis so we probably don't know what we're missing :)

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you get just even one 4mm you'll notice an improvement in the picture. Its kinda hard for me to explain it, you just have to see it. If i get my 4mm's in the next few weeks to replace my 2.8mms, i'll provide some photos of what they offered as far as quality.

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you get just even one 4mm you'll notice an improvement in the picture. Its kinda hard for me to explain it, you just have to see it. If i get my 4mm's in the next few weeks to replace my 2.8mms, i'll provide some photos of what they offered as far as quality.
have you compared the 2.8mm 2335 to any non 2335 2.8mm Hik's and noticed such a drop from 4mm to 2.8mm?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's the same for all cameras. Too wide an angle gives poor night vision and less detail but a prettier image during the day live-view because it's nice and zoomed out.

My DS-2CD2032-I 4mm and 6mm bullets are much better than the DS-2CD2332-I 2.8mm in another real-world example. During day 2332 gives a great overview of my garden but pretty useless if you actually need face detail to give to someone. 2032s are there for that

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes they can be updated to later versions using the official Chinese firmware + TFTP

Of course afterwards camera will think it's Chinese region as opposed to English region.