HikVision IP Cameras not allowing admin to change the password or reset them. No reset button on the cameras...

GreyLine

n3wb
Reaction score
Normally, I can make about anything work when it comes to technology. However, these IP cameras are proving to be a substantial foe. Below is a general overview of my situation. No VLAN setup yet. All but one camera is connected to a switch, the NVR connects to the core switch. Right now, the 2 cameras, noted in red below, are the only ones I am unable to get access to.

Can you help me get on top of this issue so I can actually use the cameras we bought? How can I access the config on each of the cameras if SADP and the Hikvision PW reset tools don't allow me to connect to the cameras?

Thanks!

• Hikvision DS-7616NI-E2 / 16P NVR - with up to date firmware
  • 12 cameras (10 of which actually work and allow connection)
    • PTZ-4818X-IZ
      • Unable to connect
      • password recovery using the Hikvision Password Recovery tool failed
      • Time's out when trying to update the IP and device info - admin password verified on all other cameras
      • SADP can see the camera but am unable to modify its settings or reset the password
      • default IP does not allow connection from any machine neither does the IP listed in SADP...
    • HES328-TD-2.8
    • DS-2CD2122FWD
    • DS-2CD2122FWD-ISB
    • DS-2CD2032-I
    • DS-2CD2122FWD-ISB
    • DS-2CD2032-I
    • DS-2CD2122FWD-ISB
    • DS-2CD2032-I
    • DS-2CD2032-I
    • DS-2CD2032-I
    • DS-2CD2032-I
    • PTZ-4818X-IZ
      • Unable to connect
      • Time's out when trying to update the IP and device info - admin password verified on all other cameras
      • SADP can see the camera but am unable to modify its settings or reset the password
      • default IP does not allow connection from any machine neither does the IP listed in SADP...

GreyLine

n3wb
Reaction score
Support was very unhelpful. I opened the camera and dug around for a reset button but found none. I can see the devices in SADP however trying to access the IP to load the GUI fails every time. I tried using the PWD reset feature and it times out, every time. Is there a circuit that I could trace that would allow for a factory reset?

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Try watchfullIP CVE , it might work, once you are in shell run paramReset. It will put camera to inactive state.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Make your life easier and throw those motherfuckers in the River. Some Hik Knock off stuff I have dealt with are less user friendly than the Dahua knock off's I've worked with.
A guy shouldn't have to be a hacker to work a camera.

GreyLine

n3wb
Reaction score
Make your life easier and throw those motherfuckers in the River. Some Hik Knock off stuff I have dealt with are less user friendly than the Dahua knock off's I've worked with.
A guy shouldn't have to be a hacker to work a camera.
I'd love to... unfortunately, I need 2 more cameras and these are what I have to work with.

GreyLine

n3wb
Reaction score
Try watchfullIP CVE , it might work, once you are in shell run paramReset. It will put camera to inactive state.
Going to need more info on this one if I'm going to try it. Honestly, it would be nice if SADP would tell you why it can not connect to the cameras. OR, if there was a way to connect to it directly from a computer... even that would be nice.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
My introduction to Camera world was buying my Sister in Law a Costco Nightowl system. Turned out to be a HiKvision motherboard on the DVR, and when I stumbled in here, and people tried to tell me oh yeah you can stream your NVR to Blue iris.... Well not that one. not until a year later when I stumbled across some string of Code some Super Geeks had figured out, and by then I was fed up with inferior hardware and bizarro U.I.'s. After learning what was really out there in Camera World,,,,I think I will avoid Hik for my personal purchases going forward.

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Going to need more info on this one if I'm going to try it. Honestly, it would be nice if SADP would tell you why it can not connect to the cameras. OR, if there was a way to connect to it directly from a computer... even that would be nice.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, it would be nice if SADP would tell you why it can not connect to the cameras.
Just in case of any misunderstanding -
These are not Hikvision cameras - they are 'Hikvision compatible'.

This likely means that they are running an internal 'hikserver' process that implements a subset of the Hikvision command & control protocol.
This is usually only useful for making the initial discovery by SADP and the connection to a Hikvision NVR, and won't support the full set of commands.
It also means that the usual useful set of Hikvision security exploits won't work for resetting and gaining low-level access.

• Unable to connect
What's the IP address as seen by SADP?
What's the IP address of the PC that SADP is running on?
Does the vendor publish any firmware for the device, if so can you link to it?
There may be an SSH or telnet access with a cracked password.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the firmware available on the Vikylin website 1-PTZ-4818X-IZ-firmware-800N2-PTZ-4818X-IZ_5.9.1_210420-VIKVIZ: house keeper, security guard
If it's the right firmware for the model :
The device does indeed run a hik_server module, so it can be more easily integrated into a Hikvision environment.

What happens if you click the IP address for the device on the SADP window itself?
What does SADP show for the HTTP port? It may not be set to the standard of 80.
The web_server module suggests support for ONVIF.
Suggestion - see if the device is found by ONVIF Device Manager (give ODM valid logon credentials) and see if ODM shows a web login screen, as well as live video, and confirm what the published ports are.