Hikvision is camera not communicating with nvr

Byousefz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 16 hikvision ip cameras and they’re all having a similar issue. They all have version 4.0.8 build 150401 on them. I was told by my installer that they’re all original American hikvision cameras, and not chinese. I can’t login to the camera through it’s ip. I tried the password reset and I’m still having the same issue. Are my cameras bricked ? I tried to reset through sadp, it claims it’s a success, but can’t login toThe cameras. Can I do a hard factory reset? Would it solve my issue? This is the serial of two of them
DS-2CD2132F-I012016111CCRR670848026
DS-2CD-Min-System0120161118CCRR676991414

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Byousefz, you could try to directly connect to the affected cameras with a known good cable, a POE injector or POE switch and laptop.

As could be a cable issue and if you can hard reset them, it's worth a try.

Good luck and hope that you get it sorted.

Byousefz

n3wb
Reaction score
I’m going to pickup a poe injector tomorrow. What would be my next steps to resolving this?

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You'll need to directly connect to the each camera affected individually.

So you'll need two known working ethernet cables. One cable running from the ethernet port on your laptop into the POE injector (input), and then a cable out from the POE injector (output) and into the connector on the camera.

You may also need to change the laptops ethernet card IP address as well, may well be worth checking the manual to make sure.

Then when you're sure that you have an IP in the same IP address range of the camera you should be able to connect, it's just the matter of using Internet Explorer and entering the IP address of the camera. When successful you should get a login screen appear, username and password will be the same as on your NVR.

Hopefully you'll get an image from the camera displayed and it's just a bad cable, good luck.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I believe that this is the product page for the cameras in question Byousefz, you can get the manual there and brush up on the configuration and possible software required if any is necessary.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
With that version of firmware showing, the camera is running in the min-system recovery mode.
This is just a basic run-time system with no web services.
It's entered when there is a problem booting the normal system, such as when incompatible firmware has been applied.

What have you done to the cameras since receiving them? Did you attempt a firmware update?

Byousefz

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried updating the nvr firmware a few months ago. Instead of updating in steps, I jumped to the newest one and bricked the machine. However i was still able to connect to the nvr through the Hik connect app and view the cameras. I have since replaced the nvr and now none of the cameras work. All 16 have the same issue.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe all the cameras are bricked with the wrong firmware.
The way to confirm that is to power a camera up on the LAN and see what SADP shows for the firmware version.
4.0.8 min-system is the 'recovery mode'.

Check my signature below for the brickfixV2 fixup method.

Byousefz

n3wb
Reaction score
Only one of them says min-system. The others have the proper model number/serial

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, that changes things.
Though you said in your first post that all the cameras showed firmware 4.0.8

Suggestion:
As you mentioned a PoE injector, I'm assuming your have an NVR with PoE ports. Please confirm.
Connect the PC to an unused NVR PoE port, change it's IP address to 192.168.254.100
User SADP to show the camera IP addresses.
Use the browser to log in to each camera at each address, using the old NVR password.
Reset the camera to defaults and allow the NVR to activate and add it.

Byousefz

n3wb
Reaction score
i tried connecting the camera do a POE switch from my computer and trying a hard reset - didnt reset the firmware.
i also tried running SADP through the injector, same thing comes up.

Do I have to unbrick the cameras? if thats the case then i think ill just replace all of them - its too technical for me to unbrick them

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Byousefz, the worst you could do is mess them up more. So technically you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Byousefz

n3wb
Reaction score
It won’t affect the nvr? Last time I tried to update the firmware on the nvr (which I did incorrectly) not only did it brick the nvr, but all the cameras got affected too

Byousefz

n3wb
Reaction score
I wasn’t able to login to the nvr anymore, all the usernames were random characters. Only The hikvision app was still working and I was able to view the cameras. But each camera name was also jarbled with random characters. Now I bought a new nvr

Byousefz

n3wb
Reaction score
I wasn’t able to recover the password. I have it back to the distributor to send to hikvision for repair. I’m in ny

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Byousefz, was it the default password that you used with the NVR?