Hikvision IVMS

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am considering running IVMS in addition to my BI.

I have the following system to use (I have 2 identical systems)

Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 2120, 2x 3.3Ghz cores, 3M L3
Supermicro X9SCL+-F socket 1155 server board, 4x DDR3 DIMM slots
4GB (1x 4G) ECC unbuffered DDR3-1333, 3x open, 32GB Max
1x WD 320GB OS Drive
8x
WD 2TB storage drives
Adaptec 5805 8-port SATA-II/SAS hardware RAID-5/6/10 controller
on-board Intel 82574L 2x Gb NIC ports
on-board Matrox G200eW Video, 8M video RAM
on-board IPMI 2.0 w/KVM-over-IP & 3rd NIC

This was a backup storage server for the company that I worked for until Sunday.

Would this be a good fit for IVMS? I would have to upgrade the mobo to do any significant upgrades the CPU. Might just use it as a NAS for video storage.

Would be best to move my BI install to this system, but that would require a mobo, cpu and video upgrade.

Any thoughts?

pcmcg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That should be plenty enough for running IVMS.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, I have 9x Hikvision 3MP cams.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That should not be a problem, that's pretty fast computer for iVMS but I thought you had some Axis cameras too? You can run BI on it if you throttle back your frame rates, use direct to disc recording but it's a stretch. The problem is viewing the cameras. While it's minimized or running as a service, it will probably use 50% CPU, when viewing it could hit 100%. To effectively run 9 3MP cameras at their full frame rate on BI, you'll need an i7 but maybe that motherboard can take a faster processor.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That would be cool to access the motherboard remotely, so you can reboot the PC if Window's hangs. Don't know electric rates in your area, they are very high here and that server may be a big power pig, noisy and give off a lot of heat.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IPMI is a great feature. You can connect to the server from anywhere, mount network shares, media (prior to OS install) and load the OS remotely, logon to the console, control power, etc..

Our rates are not bad here (except summer rates) compared to other areas. Also, my HVAC system is less than 10' away, I could add a return to the server room I have in the basement.

I have to replace the racks (have some nicer ones with great cable management) and clean up my cabling, it is still sort of temp from the move in, but is on my honey do list. I doubt the server will use more electricity than the switch I have installed at the bottom of the rack :rolleyes:.

20140808_080728.jpg

If I need more switching, I have a few spares laying around :cool:.

20140907_124838.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We are putting in solar panels so we can power all our cameras, LOL. The architect should be here in an hour to measure for plans for city approval. Here we have tiered rates, so 75% of my electricity is either 36 or 38 cents per Kwhr most of the year with a few months where it only hits the 36 cent tier.

I checked out my Tivo and that was costing me $125/yr to operate. Running a full size consumer desktop as an NVR 24/7 was costing me 3 times that as it can't go into power saving mode. That the reason I switched to the Intel NUC. Also may replace the Tivo with a Celeron NUC, half the electric use of a Tivo. My lowest bill of the year last year was $180, is that crazy or what, just 2 people and we have all LED lighting.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is what we pay..

Monthly Rate Schedule
WINTER - October through May SUMMER - June through September
First 650 kWh: 5.3927¢ per kWhFirst 650 kWh: 5.3927¢ per kWh
650-1000 kWh: 4.6270¢ per kWh650-1000 kWh: 8.9637¢ per kWh/td>
Over 1000 kWh: 4.5422¢ per kWhOver 1000 kWh: 9.2638¢ per kWh

Add on to that all the BS fees they charge and it jumps a lot (closer to 15-20¢ per kwh). Also, our billing cycle ends on the 4th of the month, so our May bill was based on June pricing. Isn't that nice of them? I am looking at solar as well, our house is very efficient for its size.

We average 1500-2000kwh per month depending on the weather, our bills are $175-290 per month.

My cisco switch costs about $25-35 a month since it is pulling about 3A on 110v. Might be swapping that out soon, I have several efficient 24-port gig switches I could use.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, that's cheaper than solar. Our's is so high, that I actually projected a 5 year ROI on photovoltaic solar for my house. We average 1,000 Kwh per month, with 1,500 being our higher months. You know what's a sweet little switch and can be rack mounted (comes with mounting ears) is the Netgear JGS524PE. It's a 24 port gigabit switch, 12 of the ports are PoE, very quiet, low heat output and plugs straight into 110V, no power brick or wall wort. It's not fully managed but you can log into the switch and turn PoE off/on for a camera and get stats, so good enough for me. Best price, brand new it's about $260ish. I think it's new in the Netgear line. I was trying to find a cheap source for my kid to sell them but they want more wholesale than what you can get the switch online for.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only issue is I have more than 24 drops, about 30 at the moment. I still have to put my TVs and some other devices on ethernet.

I have 2x Zyxel 8-port PoE (fully managed) for the cams and uplink that to my core switch. They don't use a lot of power, just the beast of a core switch I have. The good part about the core switch is it is full L3 capable, so full routing capabilities including BGP, etc. I pulled 3 out of service at the datacenter I worked at over Labor Day weekend, it had the uptime below.

CORE01 uptime is 5 years, 7 weeks, 2 days, 17 hours, 34 minutes
Time since CORE01 switched to active is 5 years, 7 weeks, 2 days, 17 hours, 36 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on (SP by power-on)
System restarted at 19:05:20 EDT Sat Jul 11 2009

It wasn't the longest uptime of network equipment when it was decommissioned, some were over 6 years.

It is overkill for a home switch/router, even for a small to midsize business.. but, it works.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
38c per kwh Wow! I thought i had it bad with 20c..They trick you by splitting the supply and delivery charge so some folks think they are paying less than they really are...

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm in So Cal, South Orange County and use San Diego Gas & Electric for power. Ironically, we have a pied-a-terre in San Diego and the tier 4 rates there are 40 cents Kwhr. Last month we paid over $200 for electricity for a 600 sq.ft. one bedroom condo downtown. We just started a big heat wave too, may be some record breakers in there for a few days. As a comparison, my friend lives in Florida, 3,800 sq ft condo, A/C on half the year and he paid $200 last month for power and he has the same gadgets as me with Tivos and such.

jimmyt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sorry to hijack the thread :)

wow.. even with the riders and generation charges I am paying 10.2 cents per kw/h and I get a break if I go over 1,000 - used 1,400 kwh last month and the bill was only $130

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For us to go to tiers 3 & 4 (36 and 38 cents) we have to use about 300Kwh but our average consumption is 1,000Kwh with peaks at about $1,400 which represents a $400 electric bill. What state are you in where they give you discounts for using more and can I put an extension cord to that state?

jimmyt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cincinnati Ohio -

although we rely on coal which is cheap for now until the EPA has its way.. good thing is the bulk of our power comes from a converted nuclear plant that has the clean scrubbers on them.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Coal would never happen in California where we pay 50 cents a gallon more for gasoline because it has extra oxygenates that pollute less and as a side benefit, we get poor fuel mileage. Despite our best efforts in Orange County, the rest of the state are tree hugging liberals, LOL.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I lived in Cali for a lil bit in the late 90's, pissed me off something fierce to be paying alot more than anyone else in the country for electricity (and just about everything else), only to have rolling blackouts every damn day.. from my experience living in LA I didnt form a very fond opinion of SoCal.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought you would get a kick out of this in the bill I just got. I think they went up a penny at 39 cents a watt for tier 4. Also look at all the bogus charges they drummed up.