Hikvision live view not working when accessed on browser

tjpearson

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I had the same issue, only had these cameras fitted a week ago and been trying live view for a few days now but have finally fixed it.

Used Internet Explorer version 11 on unsupported Windows 7
Accessed Hikvison via IP Address
Navigated to Configuration Tab
Then clicked Local
Re-entered Encryption Key, in my case default 123456
Clicked Save
Back to camera views and clicked Play in Live View
Had set to Mainstream and after 20 seconds or so SUCCESS !

tj

klapa

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread!

I had the same problem using Opera or Chrome browser on Win 7.

Loading the 32-bit Pale Moon browser solved these problems and enabled me to configure my HikVision cameras after my NVR bit the dust.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Seems IE 11 works perfectly btw.

Loofer

n3wb
Reaction score
reviving old thread.
Using IE, with plug-ins installed.
couldn't get it work on paleblue either. In fact it There was no 'Local' option available on the HK portal
Is it anything to do with my configuration settings, in particular the protocol? How do I know which protocol is correct- I've tried them all?

Last edited:

Donovan F

n3wb
Reaction score
This issue has existed for years.

The number of online recommendations floating around from CCTV security "experts" recommending using work arounds such as third party browser plugin extensions, or tier 3 browsers is astounding. Anyone with IT security experience will tell you this is a really bad idea. If this is your recommended solution, then maybe Hikvision isn't the right CCTV product for you.

If you understand the basics of networking, then there is an easy fix for not being able to stream your Hikvision camera direct on your browser.

Solution:

Firstly, don't connect your camera to the Hikvision DVR port with Plug and Play as the protocol. This is fine for your simple CCTV security installer doing a standalone solution where the monitor is connected to the DVR, but it's not suitable for a network where you want to directly manage and stream from your camera.

Switch your camera network settings to auto DHCP or assign it a fixed IP address to match your network IP schema.

Connect your camera through a free router port or network switch port. You don't need to be an IT guru, even a basic unmanaged switch will do the job. Any IP config tweaks are done via your router and camera network settings (not the switch). If your Hikvision camera is POE then use a POE switch, again, a basic unmanaged switch will do the job (it's unlikely you'll find a router with POE ports). To be honest, if you can't work this bit out, put it all back in the box... you probably shouldn't be installing networked equipment.

With the above solution you'll be able to connect direct to your camera via it's IP address, and streaming of footage will work perfectly.

Don't forget to set a user and password for your camera, and an encryption key on your camera video stream, and configure this in the browser client.

Finally, I am not suggesting I think the Hikvision design is perfect, this problem should not exist in the first place. Take your grievances to Hikvision, not me. Meanwhile, your work around is above, and please don't shoot the messenger :)