HIKVISION mtd Brick Recovery Guide

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not when it's running in 'Recovery mode' where there are no web services.

The next step is to find compatible firmware.
Some possible sources for the 2CD2342-WD-I (Listed in the Hikvision model spreadsheet as an R6 model)
http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product Firmware/Front-ends/01--IPC/R6 platform (2X22FWD, 2X42FWD, 2X52)/
Actually - that's all I can find for the particular model. The CN site appears inaccessible just now - it does come and go a bit.
So grab one of those firmwares from the HK site you listed and use that with the tftpserv tool?
There's two different versions of the 5.3.6 code. Any reason I should choose one over the other? Looking at it now, I'm nearly 100% sure that the 5.3.6 code that is build 151105 is the one that was on there before this all started.

[EDIT]
Got it working. Went ahead and downloaded that 151105 build and used it with tftpserv. Took a while for it to come back up and appear in SADP though. But in the end, it worked out.
So I'm back at square one now. I'm still interested in upgrading to the 5.4.0 firmware. Should this firmware work, anyone know?

Last edited by a moderator:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent, well done for getting there!
Be a bit wary of the 5.4.0 firmware, there have been quite a few negative posts about it, check them out.
And be aware also that an 'anti-rollback' 'feature' has been added to 5.4.0 that will stop you easily going back if you don't like it, or it gives problems.

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Excellent, well done for getting there!
Be a bit wary of the 5.4.0 firmware, there have been quite a few negative posts about it, check them out.
And be aware also that an 'anti-rollback' 'feature' has been added to 5.4.0 that will stop you easily going back if you don't like it, or it gives problems.
Really appreciate the help in getting my camera back up again!
After seeing some comments about the 5.4.0 release, I think I'll hold off for now...at least until a 5.4.1 is released. :peaceful:

cam

n3wb
Reaction score
"Be a bit wary of the 5.4.0 firmware, there have been quite a few negative posts about i"

Yep, dealing with that right now...

yuval

n3wb
Reaction score
hi
i need help i have cam ds-2cd3320-i from china,
and i need to change the lang to english, firmware 5.3.9

please help

tnx

michaelh99

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm yet another member of the "dead camera club" and I wanted to back up my mtd files from a working camera.

Got in just fine and made copies but my camera doesn't appear to have the ftpd daemon on it anywhere. It also doesn't support scp.

How can I get the files *off* the camera? It's a DS-2CD2632F-IS

It does have an sd-card slot so maybe that's what everyone's talking about when using mount?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The tftp client should work - I don't recall if it's done as tftpput and tftpget or just tftp
And you need a normal tftp server on the PC, eg TFTPD32 : an opensource IPv6 ready TFTP server/service for windows : TFTP server
Also, if you have a NFS share available on the LAN, you could mount it with:
mount -t nfs -o nolock 192.168.1.200:/cctv /tmp
replacing IP address, share name, mount pount (probably /mnt/nfs00) as needed.

*edit*
Or from a working camera web GUI, add a NAS destination to either a CIFS/SMB (Windows) or NFS share. No need to 'format'.
And inspect the mount point that the camera used with 'mount' at the camera shell prompt.

michaelh99

n3wb
Reaction score
AHHHH. That makes more sense. The instructions I saw weren't clear *where* the server was and I assumed the camera.
I should have thought of that. I failed to think of this device as a baby linux computer with a camera rather than just a camera.
My excuse is I was juggling several tasks at once.
thanks

michaelh99

n3wb
Reaction score
Reply to your edit....
I've never been able to get the NAS mounts to work. I tried when I first started buying HIK cameras and was never successful. Just gave up since I didn't really need that feature.

Krenge

n3wb
Reaction score
"You will also need your original mtd5 & mtd6 files."

I was wondering whether there is a time machine you can refer me to, so I can get these!

I did FTP the camera after an update

there were 3000 files but none with the names you suggest

I searched all those for MTD*.* and got the following

I numbered these so that if there are files there you could give the numbers

To be honest, even if I had the files I have no idea how you fix these as the thread got too complex editing hex whatever that means!!

I DID download the files in the Dropbox, I even got it to update the firmware but the Hik Vision is the same, it responds to the ping momentarily for 3 pings on boot

Reply from 192.0.0.128: Destination host unreachable.
Reply from 192.0.0.64: bytes=32 time=2874ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.0.0.64: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.0.0.64: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255
Request timed out.

and then every now and then for 3 pings.

SADP does not see it.

So unless I am missing something my Hik Vision is going to remain a Brick.

ngst

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone recovered from a real brick on a DS-2CD2032-I?

I'm wondering if someone has discovered a JTAG port or reflashed the NAND flash through other means.

I upgraded before I learned about grey market cameras. I soldered some leads to the serial port and started mucking around in the uboot console. It was already a soft brick so I yelled swear words at it and erased all of NAND.

michaelh99

n3wb
Reaction score
When you say "real" brick, you mean it's not booting up in any fashion now?

I have what I hope is just a "soft" brick that I've got most of the tools to try to recover. It just hasn't bubbled to the top of my todo list yet. "real" life keeps getting in the way :)

ngst

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep. If you can connect to the serial port and the CPU does stuff it's just a soft brick. It doesn't necessarily mean you may get anywhere with it. You should be able to see uboot (and send a keystroke to interrupt the process)

I was done messing with it and wiped the NAND and shelved it for the time being.

Reaction score
The download link in the OP is 404 now,
can anyone provide me with a download link to that 5.2.5 firmware?

IMF

n3wb
Reaction score
Ugh I like a fool upgraded my camera for no reason whatsoever and now nothing can detect it. Not my NVR and not SADP when connected directly to my LAN or Laptop.

I used this firmware Hikvision firmware update for DS-2CD2xx2 IP cameras

Can someone send me the 5.2.5 firmware as the link 404s - will this procedure even work for me?

Thanks!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Last time I looked (this morning, but I only have the phone just now so harder to check) the '5.3.0 to 5.3.5 downgrader' link in the IPcamera Hikvision forum area worked ok.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ugh I like a fool upgraded my camera for no reason whatsoever and now nothing can detect it. Not my NVR and not SADP when connected directly to my LAN or Laptop.

I used this firmware Hikvision firmware update for DS-2CD2xx2 IP cameras

Can someone send me the 5.2.5 firmware as the link 404s - will this procedure even work for me?

Thanks!
Link in your conversations.

Reactions: IMF

IMF

n3wb
Reaction score
Link in your conversations.
Thanks!!

Ok with TFTP I get to the "Completed file [xxx] transmit

But when I try to telnet to the 192.0.0.64 I get:
"Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed"

TFTP is still open when I'm trying to telnet.

The camera I had was the ds-2cd2232-i5 and it was from China so the multi language version.

Anyone have any ideas?

Just to add - I have a chinese one, 5.2.5 was the firmware on it and for some reason I upgraded to a 5.4.0 which killed it.

While TFTP is running, I get ping replies from 192.0.0.64 but as soon as it gets to the "Completed file" stage, the pings die and I never see a success.

I've tried 5.3.0 chinese firmware, the 5.2.5 firmware (tried the language change via hiktools as well on both) and none of them result in a success.

I connected direct to the camera (via a POE injector) also tried connecting via a spare router that I had. No change to the result.

I don't want to go too long without a main camera so will have to order a replacement quickly but would be great if I can get this back up and use it elsewhere... unless I have truely killed it.

Last edited: