Hikvision no longer selling to the end user

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Might this be a UK-only or EU-oriented strategy? There seem to be no shortage of suppliers on eBay and Aliexpress.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This rather unfortunate news is tipping me towards creating a public 'how-to' thread on the fairly easy tweaks that allow an R0 CN camera purchased at low cost via the Aliexpress / eBay sellers to be converted into a full EN/ML upgradeable camera.
[...]
Still sitting on the fence on this.
Comments welcome.
In absence of a piece of knowledge being released solely for nefarious purposes (or, could be used for nefarious purposes by someone), I am a staunch supporter of sharing knowledge. I believe Hikvision has demonstrated time and time again contempt for end users who purchase their products (as evidenced by the numerous firmware upgrade traps they've implemented so unsuspecting people will brick their cameras).

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe Hikvision has demonstrated time and time again contempt for end users who purchase their products (as evidenced by the numerous firmware upgrade traps they've implemented so unsuspecting people will brick their camera
Yes, indeed, my sentiments exactly.
In absence of a piece of knowledge being released solely for nefarious purposes (or, could be used for nefarious purposes by someone), I am a staunch supporter of sharing knowledge.
In principle, I do agree.
In the case of user-led 'improvements' to how people can use Hikvision products though, it's clear that publishing the details of the 'impovements' has led to Hikvision blocking them in later releases.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In the case of user-led 'improvements' to how people can use Hikvision products though, it's clear that publishing the details of the 'impovements' has led to Hikvision blocking them in later releases.
This is true. Of course there is no guarantee they will not patch whatever the "bug" is which enables this in a future release, even if you do not release it. If you do, they're likely to patch it sooner than later. So, perhaps for the time being, it would be best to remain mum, since the knowledge you have will be of benefit to some people.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This rather unfortunate news is tipping me towards creating a public 'how-to' thread on the fairly easy tweaks that allow an R0 CN camera purchased at low cost via the Aliexpress / eBay sellers to be converted into a full EN/ML upgradeable camera.
I'm sure the Aliexpress purchase route is still going to be available - clever people these Chinese especially when there is money in play.

I've been doing a fair bit, probably too much, of this via 'Conversations' in private so that Hikvision don't take notice and block it in future firmware.
Unless there is a Hikvision mole in the forum that I've provided the recipe to.
But maybe they could care less now on R0 series.
Still sitting on the fence on this.
Comments welcome.
I think just wait to see, there still many guys can get hikvision cams in China and sell, no worry at all.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Well we'll hikvision after all the money I've spend on your products you want to shut the door these I own not hikvision seems like the old days when alpine car audio was n exclusive dealer only product fuck me you can buy that in halfords U.K. Or auto ban Australia need that mob annoyomos to shut them down like they did with Sony a few years ago when that programmer changed the code on a device he owned and payed for oh well dahua is looking good now. Wow 10,000 sales a week let's say to zero what dick head runs this company build an end user and professional series of cameras

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
And hikvision isn't the best camera in the word either if some Chinese fucker is reading these posts :angry: blue iris and nas he we come :secret:

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If Hikvision wants to sell through distributors to installers only, that is certainly their right, to develop whatever business model they want.

The issue I have with Hikvision is not their choice of business model, but the level of contempt they show for the end-user, who, in many cases, is completely innocent and not knowledgeable of Hikvision's business model. You go to Amazon, you type in "IP Camera", and you see Hikvisions. Is that the consumer's fault, and should the consumer be punished because Hikvision cannot control their distribution channels?

Intentionally putting malicious code in firmware to "brick" people's cameras when they attempt to upgrade firmware to patch security exploits is beyond excusable to me. How many thousands of people are out there with bricked cameras because they attempted to do this, unknowingly, as they are not readers of ipcamtalk? I know I for one never knew the difference between a WR and CH camera, until I read this forum.

morpheus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi

DS-2CD4026FWD (-A)(P) 2MP Ultra Low-Light Box Network Camera
--> IPC-HF8232F

DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZ(H)(S) 2MP IR Array Bullet Network Camera
--> IPC-HFW8232E-Z

DS-2CD4626FWD-IZ(H)(S) 2MP IR Array Vandal-proof Bullet Network Camera
--> IPC-HFW8232E-Z

DS-2CD4526FWD-IZ(H) 2MP Outdoor Network Dome Camera
--> IPC-HDBW8232E-Z

DS-2CD4126FWD-IZ 2MP Outdoor Network Dome Camera
--> Not Outdoor, it's a indoor Cam.
--> use the IPC-HDBW8232E-Z

DS-2DF6223-AEL 2MP 23X Network PTZ Dome Camera
--> SD65F230F-HNI

DS-2CD6026FHWD-(A)2 MP Ultra Low-light Box Network Camera
--> IPC-HF8232F

DS-2DF8223I-AEL 2MP 23X Network IR PTZ Dome Camera
--> SD6AE230F-HNI

How would you compare the Hikvision cameras to the Dashua 5231?
The Dahua 5231 (Sony Starvis IMX291) is very good and is good at low light. But it is not as good as the cams mentioned above (Sony IMX185).
You can compare the 5231 to the Hikvision DS-2CD2325FWD-I

Best regards
Morpheus

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Might this be a UK-only or EU-oriented strategy? There seem to be no shortage of suppliers on eBay and Aliexpress.
So far I have not heard anything related to this in Spain.

Maybe they are interested on keeping the Hikvision branded staff for the installer, and the rebranded products to be sold however the company who rebrands it wants (call it "Nelly`s", or any other of the many brands that OEM Hikvision).

Defcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
God damn it. I have installed numerous installations for people and I know they will be back to add more cameras. This leaves one in an awkward position does it not? Some guy asks me tomorrow to install some cams and I will be querying whether to stick with Hik.

What a shower of twats.

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can still purchase from BHphotovideo.com. They are the only authorized retailer that I know of and will provide support. Have mine from them no issues.

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You don’t have to use them but the question was asked. their prices are actually very competitive vs what an installer charges since I’m not one it cost me significantly less than a distributor via installer would.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As fendermen pointed out, if add a hikvision camera to your cart, the price will often drop dramatically.

For example, DS-2DF8236I-AEL shows $2600 on their product page, but as soon as you add it to your cart, it drops to $1699. Obviously Hikvision has MAP requirements but once it's in your basket it is not being advertised there.

Pathogen

n3wb
Reaction score
So far I have not heard anything related to this in Spain.

Maybe they are interested on keeping the Hikvision branded staff for the installer, and the rebranded products to be sold however the company who rebrands it wants (call it "Nelly`s", or any other of the many brands that OEM Hikvision).
Isn't the brand EZVIZ actually Hikvision's very own 'rebrand'? I will let you know when my shipment arrives and I crack open the case, but from the photo of the rear of the NVR it looks like an Hikvision box with the alarm and audio ports stripped off the board.

It reminds me of Tepco in Japan, they don't get into trouble for Fukushima meltdown, and then you learn they have 800+ different subcontractors, so its impossible to blame anyone for anything specific.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Isn't the brand EZVIZ actually Hikvision's very own 'rebrand'? I will let you know when my shipment arrives and I crack open the case, but from the photo of the rear of the NVR it looks like an Hikvision box with the alarm and audio ports stripped off the board.
Yes, EZVIZ is Hikvision's brand, for selling an easier to use product direct to the end user. Soon on any Carrefour and Mediamarkt near you, Amazon, Orange and Wind giving them as a gift to new subscribers, etc.

Pathogen

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, EZVIZ is Hikvision's brand, for selling an easier to use product direct to the end user. Soon on any Carrefour and Mediamarkt near you, Amazon, Orange and Wind giving them as a gift to new subscribers, etc.
Wow, prowlers and burglar everywhere won't be happy. Between everyone and their sister having HiDef surveillance, and also from throwing bricks at each others head, its hard times coming for these punks.

EDIT: The nice thing about these jailed EZVIZ systems is that, if they start moving off the shelves enough, OG-class pro-team efforts will be made to jailbreak the junk, as has been done with DJI quad-copters recently. HIKVISION and DJI are strikingly similar in several ways, and I suspect the same Chinese government heavy-hitters have significant stakes in both.

Last edited: