Hikvision NVR and cams - recording one camera to 2x NVRs for fail-safing?

nicka

n3wb
Reaction score
In my case, my nvr is here at home and the other nvr is at my in-laws house. There two (Hiks) out of the three cameras are connected via poe into the nvr. The third is a Dahua camera that is powered via a poe injector and then is connected into the router.

When I went to add their NVR into my nvr, I didn't anything, no way to select which cameras I wanted to see off of their nvr. So mine are on different locations and it still didn't work.
lowpro: I would presume that you would need to forward the relevant ports for this if both locations are behind a NAT?

nicka

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks nayr!
I'm new to Hikvision gear but I presume that I just need to add the camera to the NVR and just select RTSP as the protocol?
Cheers

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In my case, my nvr is here at home and the other nvr is at my in-laws house. Their two (Hiks) out of the three cameras are connected via poe into the nvr. The third is a Dahua camera that is powered via a poe injector and then is connected into the router.

When I went to add their NVR into my nvr, I didn't anything, no way to select which cameras I wanted to see off of their nvr. So mine are at a different locations and it still didn't work.
sounds like you need a point to point VPN.. and you dont add one NVR to the 2nd NVR, thats not failsafe.. you add the cameras directly to the NVR, if the NVR cant talk to the cameras then thats your problem.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks nayr!
I'm new to Hikvision gear but I presume that I just need to add the camera to the NVR and just select RTSP as the protocol?
Cheers
it will probably be like Generic camera, and it'll as you for the RTSP URL, you'll need to look it up but it should be something like: rtsp://ipaddress:554/live.sdp

you wont get motion events or anything, this will only work if your trying to record continuously.. if you need motion detection and stuff then you should try creating the sub-accounts first.

lowpro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmm ok.

Back when I had a 720p nvr, I was able to add in an analog dvr that I had given my in-laws. I added their ip and poof all their cameras popped up on my nvr. Kinda surprised that it's not turning to be that easy as it was years ago.

Thanks for the help!

nicka

n3wb
Reaction score
Lowpro: I would guess that this has to do with the Virtual Host if you're using a setup whereby you've plugged in your cameras directly into the NVR.
Possible to go cameras --> switch?

nicka

n3wb
Reaction score
Gotcha.
I'll need motion detection etc so I'll play around with creating a separate account for each NVR.
Might also try using the Secondary stream.
Will be back on the farm next week.
Thanks for your help man, I hear Denver is sick.

lowpro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Lowpro: I would guess that this has to do with the Virtual Host if you're using a setup whereby you've plugged in your cameras directly into the NVR.
Possible to go cameras --> switch?
Someone else mentioned Virtual Host as well in another thread. I haven't tried it because I haven't made it down to the in-laws house. For now i'm just using iVMS-4200 to check in on their house while they are away.

2 of the cameras are plugged directly into the nvr. The other camera is plugged directly into the router.

nicka

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep, speaking only from a networking point of view (I'm new ot IP cams):
The IPs of the 2 cams plugged directly into the NVR would be on a different subnet and therefore not accessible ('touched') by any external device.
You can see them because you can 'touch' the NVR as it's plugged into the router; and the NVR can touch the cams.
The other cam can't be accessed externally as it's behind a router (NAT) and doesn't yet have portforwarding instructions to pass on requests to that IP.
The only solution I'd see here (someone might help) is if you plug each cam into the router directly; then set the stream to run on different ports for each cam (8081, 8082, 8083) then port forward each respective port to each respective local IP. ie. 192.168.0.81 to 8081.

w_valencia

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi
I have a Hikvision DS- 7732NI - ST with cameras Onvif with which I have no problem and a few D -Link DSC- 932L Ver. 1.12 but these cameras are not Onvif I trying to connect through RTSP protocol but I have no communication with the NVR , I do the same in a player like VLC and I can see the video of the camera but I can not connect to the NVR.

Thanks.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You cannot add a channel onto an NVR from another NVR. You can only do that with a DVR. You will have to go directly to the ip camera from the other NVR. You can go from NVR to NVR with Dahua though...