Hikvision NVR DS-7608-NI-I2/8P. Duplication of files; frame rate settings

stp85

n3wb
Reaction score
In December 2017, the security company that installed my original camera system replaced the original 3x 3 MP cameras and NVR with 3x new 4 MP cameras and a new NVR. There were problems with the NVR (noted in an earlier thread Ghosting; clock feezing then jumping forward).

The security company recently replaced the second replacement NVR with a new one. The third replacement NVR. They said this NVR is the latest model and that they have never installed this model nor worked with it.

DS-7608-NI-I2/8P
Firmware: V4.1.50. Build: 180423. 3 TB hard drive. H.264 (It also has H.264+ and H.265 but they are not enabled. The security company left the default setting, H.264.)

1. DUPLICATION OF FILES

In the File Management section of the system, each motion event has two recorded files.
The second file begins 1-3 seconds after the first file.
In each case, when playing the files, the first file is of poorer image quality than the second file.
P9290222.JPG <--Still image of thumbnails of duplicate files in File Management

In the Playback section of the system, there is only one file for each motion event.
I assumed one file per motion event was "normal" as all previous NVRs produced only one file per motion event.
P9290221.JPG <--Still image of thumbnails of single files in Playback

The security company said they did not know what was causing this anomaly.
What is causing the duplication of files in File Management? Is this normal? How to fix it...?
The problem may be linked to this next issue.

2. CAMERA SYSTEM OPERATING AT 15 fps--NOT FULL FRAME

The security company said:
a) the new NVR appeared "locked in" to a frame rate of 15 fps (15 frames per second)
b) that they could not find the setting for the I-Frame interval (and therefore they could not set the frame rate and I-Frame interval to full frame)
c) that it is critical that the frame rate and I-Frame interval be set to identical numbers of frames per second; and that
d) perhaps the I-Frame setting automatically corresponds to the frame rate
e) that as they could not find the setting for I-Frame interval, they would leave the mainstream frame rate at 15 fps.

After they left, I could see nothing to indicate the system was "locked in" to the frame rate.
As I understand it, the sub-stream is usually set to a lower frame rate than the mainstream.
(N.B. My camera system is not connected to the 'net.)
I looked online for the NVR's user manual. In the user manual, I could find no mention of I-Frame Interval.

I would like the mainstream frame rate to be full frame, to give the best possible image quality. This new, late-model NVR, one would expect, could handle the three 4 MP cameras at full frame.

Where might I find the I-Frame interval setting? (It is not in the "video parameters" part of the system with the other Record settings.)
Does the I-Frame interval automatically set itself to the same mainstream frame rate chosen by the user?
Can the system function properly with the mainstream set to a higher frame rate than the sub-stream?

Images of the screens showing some of the settings. All three cameras have the same Record settings; I have uploaded the settings for camera 1.
P9290223.JPG <--Mainstream settings P9290224.JPG <--Substream settings

A few other settings
P9290227.JPG P9290226.JPG
I understand these questions may be impossible to answer. I'd be grateful for any helpful replies/suggestions.

Last edited:

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I do not have a Hikvision NVR, but I have Hikvision cameras. They have multiple streams. It would appear from your "advanced parameters" screen shot where it says "dual stream" that you are recording both the main and sub streams on an event. that would explain why you have multiple files.

redavenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i have the exact same nvr and software version, but on mine the menus/display is totally different to yours..thats very weird.

the i-frame settings, i had to change via the web interface for each camera.

stp85

n3wb
Reaction score
It would appear from your "advanced parameters" screen shot where it says "dual stream" that you are recording both the main and sub streams on an event. that would explain why you have multiple files.
Thanks for that. The duplicate files appear only in File Management, not in Playback, which is odd in itself. A few questions:
Is "dual stream" the default setting?
Is it necessary to have it set to "dual stream"?
As I understand it, the sub-stream creates images/files to send to the web address. My system is not connected to the 'net.
Can I set that parameter to "main-stream"? (What would happen? Would that create problems?)

stp85

n3wb
Reaction score
i have the exact same nvr and software version, but on mine the menus/display is totally different to yours..thats very weird.
That is concerning. Do you have the same Storage-->Recording Schedule-->Advanced as I posted in my above post? Is your system set to the same settings?
Could you post a screenshot/s of Record parameters and maybe File Management? I'm interested in seeing the differences, and seeing the settings. I'm betting you know more about these systems than the security company that installed my camera system. Thanks.

the i-frame settings, i had to change via the web interface for each camera.
That worries me. The camera system is not connected to the 'net. That means I can't adjust the I-Frame interval.
Do you know...what is the default setting of the I-Frame interval? Is it 15fps?
Should the sub-stream frame rate be lower than the main-stream frame rate?
Apologies for the deluge of questions.

Last edited:

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for that. The duplicate files appear only in File Management, not in Playback, which is odd in itself. A few questions:
Is "dual stream" the default setting?
Is it necessary to have it set to "dual stream"?
As I understand it, the sub-stream creates images/files to send to the web address. My system is not connected to the 'net.
Can I set that parameter to "main-stream"? (What would happen? Would that create problems?)
As I indicated I do not have a Hikvision NVR. Thus I cannot say if it is the default setting. I do not think it is necessary to record the substream (what would the point be, you already have the better stream recording).

I'm not familiar with sending things to a web address, so it may use the substream settings as the "picture" stream (although through ISAPI commands you can capture a still picture from either stream).

I do not see any reason why you couldn't change it to main stream. what's the worse that happens? You turn it back to both?

stp85

n3wb
Reaction score
this is what mine looks like.
Strange. Completely different interface. How could the same model be so different...?
I can see you have the system set for recording motion events, and set to"double stream". Same here.
I can look at files in Playback or in File Management. The former NVR had Playback and Export (no File Management).
Just out of interest, is your system recording one file or two files per motion event (in Playback and in Export/File Management)?

Last edited:

stp85

n3wb
Reaction score
I do not think it is necessary to record the substream (what would the point be, you already have the better stream recording) [...] it may use the substream settings as the "picture" stream [...] I do not see any reason why you couldn't change it to main stream. what's the worse that happens? You turn it back to both?
According to the user manual at https://www.surveillance-video.com/media/lanot/attachments/customimport/DS-7608NI-I2-8P-User-Manual.pdf
Dual Stream: Dual stream is a technology used to record high resolution video locally while transmitting a lower resolution stream over the network. The two streams are generated by the DVR, with the main stream having a maximum resolution of 4CIF and the sub-stream having a maximum resolution of CIF.
The manual (most of it) is no help. Its contents seem to describe some other NVR.
I 'm reluctant to change the setting to "main-stream" until I understand why it is set to dual stream.
What's the worst that can happen? With my lack of knowledge of this equipment, I shudder to think...
I suppose that's my question: is it strictly necessary to set the system to dual stream?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The fact that your system is not connected to the net has no impact on your ability to connect directly to the cameras...
The interface can be different when running different firmware versions. Yours is running the newer v4.

stp85

n3wb
Reaction score
The fact that your system is not connected to the net has no impact on your ability to connect directly to the cameras...
Yes, I'd assumed I'd have the same control of the cameras. It appears, however, I can't run/view diagnostic logs...and now it turns out I can't alter the I-Frame interval--which means the system is set to 15fps and not full frame.
And one part of the system shows two recorded files for each motion event.
I've had nearly twelve months of problems, and four different NVRs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I'd assumed I'd have the same control of the cameras. It appears, however, I can't run/view diagnostic logs...and now it turns out I can't alter the I-Frame interval--which means the system is set to 15fps and not full frame.
And one part of the system shows two recorded files for each motion event.
I've had nearly twelve months of problems, and four different NVRs.
You can absolutely change those settings.... Now it's just user error... Again has nothing to do with internet access.... You can either use the virtual host function or alternative methods that are discussed at length....

stp85

n3wb
Reaction score
You can either use the virtual host function or alternative methods that are discussed at length....
Thanks, fenderman. Could you name the alternative methods so I can search for them and do some reading.