HIKVISION NVR - EMAIL ALERT FAIL

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been trying to to get email alert to work on my NVR and IP camera to no success. Both camera and NVR are HIKVISION.
I've used Gmail, outlook & others to no effect.
Might the issue be related to a firewall rule that I might need to create on my router. I use mikrotik.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Gmail recently changed over to TLS which caused most Hikvision systems to stop sending emails since they only supported SSL at the time. They've recently released firmware to resolve that issue and added TLS support in their email settings. I believe the US version firmware that will fix it is v3.4.3 for the 76xx & 77xx series.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info RyanODan, though I tried GMAIL, I also tried using other mail providers, still to no effect.
I have a DS-9632NI-ST NVR, current firmware V3.1.3 build 141202. Is there an update for that ?
I'm currently configuring a series of DS-2CD2T22-I5 IP cameras with the NVR.
The firmware on the cameras is V5.3.0 build 150513

Do I need to port forward any / all of the ports listed under network settings within the IPC / NVR ?

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Gmail will not work until you upgrade your firmware to one that supports TLS which is most likely included in the newest one available for your unit. I would check with your distributor to see if they have the correct firmware available or if you can download directly from Hikvisions website.

To remote view the only ports necessary to forward are the HTTP port (80 by default) and the Mobile (sometimes labeled as "Server") Port (8000 by default). That will give you cell phone access and PC access remotely to your NVR.

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been trying to to get email alert to work on my NVR and IP camera to no success. Both camera and NVR are HIKVISION.
I've used Gmail, outlook & others to no effect.
Might the issue be related to a firewall rule that I might need to create on my router. I use mikrotik.
Does the NVR log the email error? Good software usually provides easy to understand errors.

drew91101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also check with your internet provider and see if they will allow the ports to be forwarded. I had to forward 1010 rather than 80 because my IP blocked it

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also check with your internet provider and see if they will allow the ports to be forwarded. I had to forward 1010 rather than 80 because my IP blocked it
Assuming he set it up correctly, the gmail settings should have worked w/o any issues. ISPs typically don't block outbound connections/ports (especially not common ports for email clients). Another easy thing to do is open up your phone and look at the outbound settings in the mail client that were used for the email account and use those settings for the NVR and it should work.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, ports don't have to be forwarded for emails to go through. It's the same as you trying to send email from your computer. However, like I said twice above you do need the new firmware or it won't work. Also, make sure you have "Allow Less Secure Apps" Enabled in your Gmail settings or this will also block it from going through.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you have trouble with e-mail servers you can try to install one on your own local PC (hMailServer freeware for example) then use some sniffer like Nirsoft SmartSniff or just activate full log in HMailServer to check what's going on.

Last edited:

dt-cam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, ports don't have to be forwarded for emails to go through. It's the same as you trying to send email from your computer. However, like I said twice above you do need the new firmware or it won't work. Also, make sure you have "Allow Less Secure Apps" Enabled in your Gmail settings or this will also block it from going through.
Good point on the "less secure apps" and, alternatively, if using 2FA, a special password will need to be created as opposed to the regular gmail password.