Hikvision NVR watchdog or auto-restart function ??

ahspao

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a few of the Hikvision DS-7600 NVR's and I notice that once in a while they either lock up or get knocked off the ddns for some reason and need to be rebooted / restarted. Is there any kind of watchdog function or a scheduled reboot that can be applied to these boxes?? I need some way to ensure they will work if i'm not in town and can't physically restart them.

Thanks for any help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a few of the Hikvision DS-7600 NVR's and I notice that once in a while they either lock up or get knocked off the ddns for some reason and need to be rebooted / restarted. Is there any kind of watchdog function or a scheduled reboot that can be applied to these boxes?? I need some way to ensure they will work if i'm not in town and can't physically restart them.

Thanks for any help.
Something like this might work...never used it myself..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SP64SM/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687782&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002L6W8N8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0VMMJXJ6WAK4TQRMR26S

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ahspao

n3wb
Reaction score
Funny you suggested that, I actually have one of those...and they work well, problem is I don't have access to the networks, only to the NVR's. So I wouldn't be able to forward the necessary ports to make that device work, but its a great suggestion for anyone who does need power control over their devices. I use them in server racks to reboot switches.

I was hoping I could find a "set it and forget it" type of thing where the NVR either reboots itself every night or reboots itself when it can't ping an outside IP or something. Hikvision doesn't have any capability like that i'm guessing?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny you suggested that, I actually have one of those...and they work well, problem is I don't have access to the networks, only to the NVR's. So I wouldn't be able to forward the necessary ports to make that device work, but its a great suggestion for anyone who does need power control over their devices. I use them in server racks to reboot switches.

I was hoping I could find a "set it and forget it" type of thing where the NVR either reboots itself every night or reboots itself when it can't ping an outside IP or something. Hikvision doesn't have any capability like that i'm guessing?
As I understand it these units (and others like it) can be set to autoping the device and reboot it when it doesnt return a ping...does your device return a ping when its locked up?
If you simply want a guaranteed nightly reboot a simple timer will do..
Also have you tried newer firmware to try and see if that resolves the issue?

ahspao

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe it still returns a ping on the local network so it wouldn't reboot the NVR but it stops accepting incoming connections from the outside...or atleast that's how it appears because I get a "connection failed" or "not registered in DDNS" error through the Hikvision App on my phone. I was hoping for a built-in solution but if that doesn't exist i'll have to work with a timer of some sort. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe it still returns a ping on the local network so it wouldn't reboot the NVR but it stops accepting incoming connections from the outside...or atleast that's how it appears because I get a "connection failed" or "not registered in DDNS" error through the Hikvision App on my phone. I was hoping for a built-in solution but if that doesn't exist i'll have to work with a timer of some sort. Thanks
I would be concerned about any nvr that randomly freezes...there may be an auto reboot function at a specific time of day (many cams have this feature) but that will still cause you to miss video..I would first try newer firmware...then actually test the nvr locally to see if it returns a ping, your error messages simply indicate that the nvr is not responding and that may be the case internally as well..
I think there may be services that will ping your device and alert you...this way you can reboot it via a wifi outlet of some sort..

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have also experienced random NVR disfunctionality where the NVR clock is not synchronised properly through the NTP server, the web access response is sluggish and the NVR stops recording although it is configured to record continuously. This disfunctionality appears very 2-3 months of continuous operation.

The power ON/OFF cycle of the NVR through a timer (or any other device that cycles the power) has the risk that the hard disks are not shutdown properly, thus there is a video recordings loss risk due to hard disk corruption.

The ideal solution would be a NVR deamon in the firmware that reboots the NVR every X days at a specific time. Do the programmers in this forum read this request? Can it be done?

mjwelch

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you ever resolve the occasional lock up on the hikivision nvr? I have the same issue and it typically happens right after a remote login. I have the SCW Vanguard Pro that I think is made by hikivision and sold by SCW, love the NVR but can't live with occasional black out of all functions. Reboot is the only resolution once it happens. Any info you discovered would be helpful
Thanks, mjwelch

enochseven

n3wb
Reaction score
I have just now finished setting up my Hikvision DS-7604NI-E1/4P with one camera, DS-2CD2042WD-I 4MP.

I had lockups similar to this. My solution was to turn down the video quality. -> configuration -> video/audio -> video quality medium / 20fps in the NVR.

I also possibly wasted my time here, but I connected into the camera also and effected the change. I don't think that was necessary.

It seemed to happen after logging into the EZVIZ iPhone app, but there were other variables as I have been messing around like crazy trying to stabilize this thing.

Hopefully this will help someone, geez what mess trying to figure this out.

Did you ever resolve the occasional lock up on the hikivision nvr? I have the same issue and it typically happens right after a remote login. I have the SCW Vanguard Pro that I think is made by hikivision and sold by SCW, love the NVR but can't live with occasional black out of all functions. Reboot is the only resolution once it happens. Any info you discovered would be helpful
Thanks, mjwelch

mjwelch

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips enochseven support & I had tried the reduction and it still locked occasionally, I ended up returning and going back to my old unit with less smart functions and if they can figure out the issue I will repurchase. I couldn't take the risk of missing recordings when the network locked up. I loved the new IntelliPro features and hopefully can return to it one day.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have found that most dns disconnection are down to the router not the nvr it's self.

The cheapest and easiest way to over come this is to fit a plug in time clock to the router power supply.

This reboots once every 3 days at a set time and has sorted so many of issue with a slow network too.

pdobrien3

n3wb
Reaction score
I have noticed the "events" in my 2CD-2142s seem to go wacky at times. Lately line detection and intrusion detection started causing false positives every two or three minutes. Also, motion detection seems to get caught up in a funky loop at times. I have been able to successfully fix these issues with a camera re-boot. Wondering if anyone has figured anything out for auto reboot. My POE switch has a timer function but I don't think killing the power is as safe as a soft reboot. Just checking in to see if anyone came up with a solution.

thanks,
Dan