Hikvision Video Intercom - faulty or normal?

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would like to know if this is faulty or are these constant clouds of dust particles, apparently inside the sealed unit, normal for a new Hikvision 2nd gen DS-KD8003-IME1 on a dry, windless night with nothing else moving? They aren't visible during the day.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to know if this is faulty or are these constant clouds of dust particles, apparently inside the sealed unit, normal for a new Hikvision 2nd gen DS-KD8003-IME1 on a dry, windless night with nothing else moving? They aren't visible during the day.

This crappy IR reflection is common in hikvision doorbells. You would think they would fix it in this new more expensive unit...Leave a light on and use it in day mode.

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This crappy IR reflection is common in hikvision doorbells. You would think they would fix it in this new more expensive unit...Leave a light on and use it in day mode.
I do have a light permanently on at my gate, albeit not a powerful one. But the IR reflections and the dust [clearer when you view my video at full size] are separate issues aren't they?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I do have a light permanently on at my gate, albeit not a powerful one. But the IR reflections and the dust [clearer when you view my video at full size] are separate issues aren't they?
Its not dust, its ir reflection. See the videos of the hik doorbell, all the same. This is a design defect.

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its not dust, its ir reflection. See the videos of the hik doorbell, all the same. This is a design defect.
So no point in asking for an exchange. Refund or live with it - which is not the way to conduct a business. It would be easier to live with if it wasn't such a half-baked product. At my "villa" level of use, the only things it does well are open/close my gates and facilitate reasonable quality audio. It's staggering that there's no way to record visitor footage to an SD card - which according to Hikvision tech support is exclusively for the recording of voice messages and storage of a single snapshot per visitor [which is such low quality that it's impossible to identify my own mother].

As for limiting the live view time on their panels to a maximum of 60 seconds, were these devices originally planned to be battery powered? The logic escapes me - especially when the graphical home screen stays live for 5 minutes before it goes to sleep.

And I absolutely hate the constantly shifting pixels, even in good, stable light. Why is that happening?

I found out in another thread that iVMS-4200 version 3.2.0.10 lets you turn off the IR light so I'll see what happens tonight.