Hikvision with Synology Surveillance Station

lacibaci

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just installed four Hikvision cameras (DS-2CD2032-I) and I noticed that even when they are not recording there is constant network traffic (inbound from cameras) It is about 500kB/s per camera.

The motion detection is done by cameras and all notifications are turned off.

Any ideas?

Here is what I'm talking about:
1. All four cameras enabled
2. One camera enabled
3. All cameras disabled

Attachments

TD22057

n3wb
Reaction score
I just checked my two cameras (DS-2CD2432F-IW and DS-2CD2132F-IS) connected to my Ubuntu server via CFS. The 2132 is doing line crossing detection on the camera and the 2432 is doing PIR detection on the camera. They're both hovering around ~0.5kB/sec traffic when no motion is found and spike up to ~1.0kB/sec every 5 sec or so.

I know that if I run iVMS, it continuously downloads video streams so maybe the surveillance station software is doing the same thing. It may be connected to the camera stream even if you're not using it for motion detection. You could try changing the bit rates on the cameras - if the traffic changes accordingly, that would say that it's the video feed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The stream is always being sent to the synolgy...the motion detection simply tells it when to save the recording....
That is a very low amount of traffic so its not going to affect your other devices/traffic..

lacibaci

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The stream is always being sent to the synolgy...the motion detection simply tells it when to save the recording....
That is a very low amount of traffic so its not going to affect your other devices/traffic..
If true, it must be the sub-stream because the main stream would use a lot more bandwidth? (3 megapixel cameras set at highest resolution and quality)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If true, it must be the sub-stream because the main stream would use a lot more bandwidth? (3 megapixel cameras set at highest resolution and quality)
That is normal for the main stream...
remember there is a difference between bits and bytes...

lacibaci

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is normal for the main stream...
remember there is a difference between bits and bytes...
Yes, I see 500 kBytes/s (4Mbits/s) sustained stream per camera when NOT recording. I do have a 1G network so it is not a big burden, but I would still like to know if there is a setting that I'm missing...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I see 500 kBytes/s (4Mbits/s) sustained stream per camera when NOT recording. I do have a 1G network so it is not a big burden, but I would still like to know if there is a setting that I'm missing...
What i mean is, if you look at your cameras bit rate settings, you will see that it say 8192 Kbps which would be the same as about 1000kB/s...What is your bitrate set to? Remember that is the maximum number not the actual number....
You camera is sending the main stream.

lacibaci

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What i mean is, if you look at your cameras bit rate settings, you will see that it say 8192 Kbps which would be the same as about 1000kB/s...What is your bitrate set to? Remember that is the maximum number not the actual number....
You camera is sending the main stream.
Here are the settings:

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
With those settings your numbers are exactly inline..

lacibaci

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With those settings your numbers are exactly inline..
You're right. It just seems very inefficient. I thought that the camera would start streaming only when an event is triggered. Is this a part of ONVIF standard or Synology software? Do all IP cameras/NVRs work like this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You're right. It just seems very inefficient. I thought that the camera would start streaming only when an event is triggered. Is this a part of ONVIF standard or Synology software? Do all IP cameras/NVRs work like this?
They all work like this...im not sure of the technical details...
Possibly because there is not enough storage room on the camera for say a 30 second pretrigger recording...also the cameras are designed to constantly stream to a pc/nvr...the fact that they can also write to nas is a bonus..
Its not really inefficient because they use so little bandwidth it doesn't really matter at all...i would not even give it another thought.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed that even when they are not recording there is constant network traffic (inbound from cameras)
Nothing weird about this - Surveillance Station for both Synology and QNAP has the ability to save a recording starting N seconds before the actual motion trigger, where N is default 30 on QNAP.
So if you think about it - Surveillance Station has to be buffering video continuously in order to be able to store say 30 seconds before the motion trigger.
Hence the continuous streaming with associated disc activity.

lacibaci

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nothing weird about this - Surveillance Station for both Synology and QNAP has the ability to save a recording starting N seconds before the actual motion trigger, where N is default 30 on QNAP.
So if you think about it - Surveillance Station has to be buffering video continuously in order to be able to store say 30 seconds before the motion trigger.
Hence the continuous streaming with associated disc activity.
Ok, I guess that makes sense. Thank you all,

Lac