Hikvison IP cam recommendation

CCTVThomas

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am planning to buy a few Ip Cams for my CCTV system but I don't know which model Hikvison IP cam to buy (there is to much choice :blankstare:) . My NVR is a DS-7616HI-ST/A (don't know the firmware version) and I already own a few DS-2CD2332-I cam's (but these are discounted).
-3 or 4MP will be enough
-Night vision isn't really important because they are going to hang inside
-I would like to use turren't sytle camera's
-I need a 2.8mm and 4.0mm cam
I was looking at the DS-2CD3345-I these are really affordable, but I read somewhere that these cam's are genuine (is this a problem?). Can you upgrade the firmware on these cam's and is it important to upgrade the firmware ones in a while?
I planning to buy the cam's form aliexpress because they are allot cheaper over there.
What model Hikvision cam do you recommend me?

Thank's guys for the help

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome CCTC Thomas,

I'm not a Hikvision expert, so I'll let those folks chime in, just wanted to welcome you here.

Also, noted that LaViewSecurity (.com) still has some BF-cyber week deals going on IP cameras, and they maybe worth checking out to see if you can find a deal.

Also
It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

CCTVThomas

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you Mat for your reply,

Thank you for the notes, I read allot of good things about the Dahua Starlight but I don't know if it works wel with a Hikvision NVR.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was looking at the DS-2CD3345-I these are really affordable, but I read somewhere that these cam's are genuine (is this a problem?). Can you upgrade the firmware on these cam's and is it important to upgrade the firmware ones in a while?
I've used a DS-2CD3345, it is a very nice camera at an affordable price point. I wouldn't spend the money on Dahua starlights unless you need good low-light performance. I believe there is a newer version of those cameras, the DS-2CD2342WD

when buying on aliexpress just check the seller's feedback and make sure the camera specifically says english upgradable firmware and are specifically branded hikvision. I've bought from seller xinray and Shenzhen SAS International Trade Co., Ltd. I would recommend the former, but not the latter, in case of the latter their shipping was slow (printed a DHL label within the timeframe allowed by aliexpress but then never posted the shipment for several weeks later) and they did not have the item i ordered in stock, and didn't tell me for several weeks. Eventually I did receive the english upgradable cameras (with one substitution) I ordered. I've never had an issue with xinray.

of the two dozen cameras ive purchased off aliexpress I've never had an issue upgrading. All have been english upgradable, and I haven upgraded them, several times, without an issue.

CCTVThomas

n3wb
Reaction score
I've used a DS-2CD3345, it is a very nice camera at an affordable price point. I wouldn't spend the money on Dahua starlights unless you need good low-light performance. I believe there is a newer version of those cameras, the DS-2CD2342WD

when buying on aliexpress just check the seller's feedback and make sure the camera specifically says english upgradable firmware and are specifically branded hikvision. I've bought from seller xinray and Shenzhen SAS International Trade Co., Ltd. I would recommend the former, but not the latter, in case of the latter their shipping was slow (printed a DHL label within the timeframe allowed by aliexpress but then never posted the shipment for several weeks later) and they did not have the item i ordered in stock, and didn't tell me for several weeks. Eventually I did receive the english upgradable cameras (with one substitution) I ordered. I've never had an issue with xinray.

of the two dozen cameras ive purchased off aliexpress I've never had an issue upgrading. All have been english upgradable, and I haven upgraded them, several times, without an issue.
Thank you for the advise,
Unfortunately I can't find a DS-2CD3345 on ali express that has a upgradable english firmware wil this be a problem in the future?
The DS-2CD3345 only support 50hz but my country (The Netherlands) has 60hz power wil this become a problem?
I hope that the DS-2CD3345 will work for me because it has a really nice price.

I did find the DS-2CD2342WD in the xinray store: Aliexpress.com : Buy Hikvision 4MP IP Camera DS 2CD2342WD I WDR EXIR Turret Network MINI Dome Camera Support Onvif Ezviz HIK Connect from Reliable hikvision 4mp suppliers on XinRay Store
The advantages of the DS-2CD2342WD are:
-Upgradable english firmware
-supports 60hz.
But it's allot more expensive than the DS-2CD3345
What would you recommend me to buy the DS-2CD3345 or the DS-2CD2342WD.
Thanks for the help

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Someone who is more familiar with Hikvision can inject their knowledge, but I believe the 2CD3345 is now discontinued (I cannot find it on the Hikvision site under their current products). It is a couple of years old. That is likely why they are discounted so much, to move the remaining inventory out of the supply chain.

I would never buy a camera that is not upgradable. All firmware has security holes. If you buy a non-upgradable camera, you are screwed.

I cannot speak on the 50/60hz thing, I use POE for all my cameras so I have no concerns about AC current.