Hikvison Permanent Region Code Hack

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I dont know that there is anything out there that is better...at this price point. i dont particularly like the dahua IQ...daytime images are pretty good on most cams..I think the biggest issues is nightvision and low light vision, and hikvision has introduced some new cams with high power ir 50m and 80m rated..like these http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2014101311390770075.pdf DS-2CD2T32-I3/-I5/-I8 (3.0MP)
There are also some new cams coming with darkfighter like these...the samples of darkfighter on youtube look promising,
http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2015012015050761044.pdf DS-2CD4626FWD-IZ(H)(S)
http://www.hikvision.com/UploadFile/image/2015012014045764486.pdf DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZ(H)(S)
The darkfighter looks interesting and perhaps it will have better IQ, but with these spec they my cost more then I would want to pay.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why does it matter? It's business and competition. Everyone tries anything in hopes to make extra buck. Btw Hikvision already been attempting to lock this down for a year now (since firmware 5.1.2) and we kept getting new ways to hack this.
Because he presents this as if he's trying to help users when his underlying motive is to help himself and ultimately screw the user.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Just upgraded to 5.2.5 after this region hack. Not bricked or anything and English is the only language.

Peter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Congratulations to the permanent fix klasipca :) however where did you find the 5.2.5 firmware?
I have only found the 5.2.3 official firmware at the european portal and it's only english.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Congratulations to the permanent fix klasipca :) however where did you find the 5.2.5 firmware?
I have only found the 5.2.3 official firmware at the european portal and it's only english.
Yeah, couldn't find it via official sources, but fenderman had it attached in one of his threads in this forum.

bouncy

n3wb
Reaction score
dont suppose you know which thread that would be in the forum?

Peter

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks klasipca and aster1x I found it!
So if I have understood it correctly - All firmwares are multilanguage and depending on the values in certain registers in the camera,
it will start up as a chinese or an international camera, and that these memory locations does not get written during a normal update
since they are on some upper/lower flash locations that require special erase/write instructions.
So these flash blocks must be discretely erased and written to using these tools.
Thanks anyway

bouncy

n3wb
Reaction score
thats what i am taking away from it, however does the 5.2.8 firmware then brick your camera if you made this change whilst having a prior firmware installed (in my case 5.2.3) or will it stay english on 5.2.8. Also, where can you get your hands on 5.2.8? also, if the current hack does not work on a camera which already has 5.2.8 on it, is their a way to force a firmware downgrade say down to 5.2.0 or 5.2.3 to then make the change and upgrade back up. I'm so full of questions, lol.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
thats what i am taking away from it, however does the 5.2.8 firmware then brick your camera if you made this change whilst having a prior firmware installed (in my case 5.2.3) or will it stay english on 5.2.8. Also, where can you get your hands on 5.2.8? also, if the current hack does not work on a camera which already has 5.2.8 on it, is their a way to force a firmware downgrade say down to 5.2.0 or 5.2.3 to then make the change and upgrade back up. I'm so full of questions, lol.
I think as OP stated the cameras that came labeled to have 5.2.5 and above will be bricked by this hack because it has something different, so even if you were able to downgrade to 5.2.0 it will still be bricked. At least that's how I understood. Btw, If you do brick camera it appears to be easy to unbrick, assuming of course you have root access. At least I was able to unbrick with the help and now it seems simple enough with just a few commands to run.

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To me, Dahua has much friendlier resale model in the U.S. than Hikvision that does not really want their cameras resold in the U.S., only to installers.

I've talked to Hikvision about closing the doors to the hacks being done a year ago, but they didn't seem interested. One can get euro versions of the cameras in Chine and pay maybe $10-20 more than local China cameras, so yes, that may raise prices to some, but when you factor in paying someone to hack them for you, what's the real benefit to you when the hacker is charging more than the price difference on the cameras. So to me, either keep the value prop by making the hacks open, or shut the hacks down totally and force people pay $10-20 more for the euro version of the cameras. This limbo of hacking only benefits the people charging for the hacks. Does it benefit my daughter to kill this, yes, not having to deal with hacks and having a product that's supported by the manufacturer or dealer is a huge benefit for her and to her customers. When there's an issue with Dahua, she can engage the U.S. authorized distributor and Dahua to solve your problem. With Hikvision, it's terrible, Hikvision USA won't help even if she buys them from authorized distributors and distribution channels are not skilled like Dahua and are worthless. So the best customer experience is legit U.S. product with U.S. support, but if paying more for that is not important to you, there are choices as most of you know and not only do I share the region code hack, but I came up with instructions for a simple hack to make your Chinese camera English, albeit with day of week in Chinese. Who else has done that here? And I have a couple of people working on the 5.2.5 hack and make that open. What do I have to gain by doing that? Will Hikvision make it harder next time, sure, but they have been closing the door a little at a time since version 5.0. Look at it this way, the only person that published the region code hack about a year ago was CBX, what bits to change, not me, and it took Hikvision a year to figure out how to make this harder, but clearly not impossible. If CBX never published this a year ago, we would not be discussing this now.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Q: What is the language most spoken.
Answer: In the Chinese language, because their billion and with each passing day it becomes more and more. ;)

The truth is that the equipment with the Chinese language no one needs and retail at the same price, so it did not sell.
That's all, and look for ways how to make money is to reflash the device for China's domestic market and make their European and make a difference.
Price in China may not be very different, but the price for the end user is significantly different from the start.
That's all and dig nose earth for the difference in price that can be put in his pocket.
So do not be a hypocrite, that there are persecuting desire to help someone.

Are you talking about some nonsense!!!
Any manufacturer should be interested to cover the holes and vulnerabilities in their equipment. Of course, in the pursuit of profit it may go by the wayside, but as they say until the thunder will strike, but as soon as their system will falls then it will be too late.
I doubt that the lost profit from the possible implementations of the foreign markets they are not interesut. It's a lot of money.
Then another question arises, why is exactly what happens.
Is not it strange that they deliberately sacrificed lost profits ???
Think about it !!!
;)
Was this google translate? I can't understand what the heck is this post about.

bouncy

n3wb
Reaction score
just to break with the current conversation thread, does anybody know where i can get 5.2.5 or 5.2.8 firmware? I tried the link recommended previously, however the camera rejects the firmware.

I would very much appreciate any assistance.

iTuneDVR

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

bouncy

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate that, however the only link that somebody kindly provided is rejected by the camera. Do you know how many threads contain the term 5.2.5, and its mostly discussions about the firmware, or others asking for it etc..

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
What do you mean rejects it? I attempted to load a few times and was getting "failed". It turned that my chrome ad blocker was the causing this issue.