HKvision DS 7608 - adding 4th camera?

Reaction score
HI everyone

I have an older NVR hikvision ds 7608 (chinese languaged hacked to English by seller).

I have three ds-2cd-3032i bullet cameras added to it. I used DIY 50 foot ethernet cables that I made myself to connect.

Basically, I have the cameras hooked up directly to the NVR (no computer network involved).

Today I try to add a 4th, 3032i bullet camera, using another DIY 40 foot ethernet cable, but it says 'no camera detected'.

I double check my DIY 40 foot ethernet cable using a cable tester and everything seems wired properly. I even connected the cable to my router and laptop and I was able to get a wired connection ShowBox – Download ShowBox App APK Free for Android, iOS & PC .

The camera lights up red for a few seconds when I initially connect it, but turns off. Within the NVR, the POE info heading says it's using around 3W (I tried different ports and it's the same).

So the camera is getting power I think, just not showing up as connected in the NVR

Can anyone advise?

I used a short 6 foot ethernet cable, and the N VR was able to pick it up!

Could it be the longer ethernet cable is too long? If I messed up the cable, wouldn't the cable tester indicate otherwise? And I wouldnt be able to use my laptop as a wired connection?

thank you

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So the camera is getting power I think, just not showing up as connected in the NVR
Assuming that the NVR PoE channel is in Plug&Play mode (this is the default), the camera needs to be 'Inactive' (ie reset to defaults) in order for the NVR to find it and Activate it and connect it.
If the NVR PoE channel is in Manual mode, you will need to edit the camera network configuration and admin password to match what the NVR PoE channel is configured to expect from t6he camera.

What firmware version is on the 4th camera?
If it's not too old to have the 'Inactive' feature when it's been reset to defaults (ie older that 5.3.0) that would be the easiest way to attach it to the NVR.

I used a short 6 foot ethernet cable, and the NVR was able to pick it up!
OK, I didn't see this before I wrote the above.
This means that your self-made cable is faulty.
A cable tester will only check continuity.
It will not confirm that you have used the correct wiring scheme, ideally T568B, for the order of the wires.
What wiring scheme did you use?
If the correct pairs are not maintained, a longer cable will not work properly.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The length of the cable is not a problem. I tested a full 500’ roll of cable and it worked fine. I agree with others that you may not have used the correct conductor order. It’s more than just matching each end. The order is critical.