Home Intercom Advice

Discussion in 'Home Automation' started by fenderman, Aug 23, 2014.

Share This Page

1. mighticam

mighticam n3wb

Where to buy those Dahua units?

2. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Ali express...just be aware that they dont operate as a true intercom..the user at the other end must answer the ring....

3. mighticam

mighticam n3wb

Do you mind sharing your review on those? Thanks in advance!

4. vector18

vector18 Getting comfortable

The house that these are going in is only prewired. I haven't installed them yet.

5. daft78

daft78 n3wb

Sorry to revive this old thread but I couldn't find much info on the Daihua anywhere on-line from real users.

I purchased 5 indoor units for use throughout the home and I'm just now realizing that they do not function like a true intercom (as posted above). I have yet to install them but this is a deal-breaker for me. Anyone know if there have been newer software versions in recent years that will allow this? We have a busy home with small kids and the whole point is to be able to call throughout the home without having to yell. The doorbell feature is important but secondary to it acting like a true intercom. A real oversight in my opinion.

For those who have had this for awhile, what has the real-world usage been like?

Thanks.

6. tangent

tangent Getting comfortable

It's my understanding that they work more like phones than a traditional intercom. Each station has to answer an intercom call. Always a good idea to bench test something like this before actually installing it. If it doesn't meet your needs the easiest option would be to sell them on ebay.

Simplest and cheapest intercom option out there is a set of AT&T or V-tech DECT cordless phones with Push to Talk (only found on some models). Just hold a button on the side of the phone a speak, it will broadcast to the other phones. Other options will be a lot more expensive and ordering from ali may be trouble.

7. daft78

daft78 n3wb

Thanks for your response.

The problem with cordless phones is they tend not to be where you think they're going to be. I like the idea of a fixed unit on the wall. The price of the Dahua was substantially less then what's available from Aiphone or Comelit. Feature for feature (outside of the inability to broadcast), the Dahua beats them in many ways. I can still return the product as I bought it locally - I just don't understand why Dahua would leave out such basic functionality.

8. tangent

tangent Getting comfortable

That's the nature of direct from china brands.

Bench test it, see if it works for you. If it does great. If not, figure something else out and return it.

Another option would be to run your own Asterisk server and set up IP phones that you buy on ebay around the house.

9. cball

cball Young grasshopper