Home Security Systems

Reaction score
From alarm club rep.

And yes, your proa7 will work with any Honeywell products on our site, including 5800 series, six sensors, and pro six sensors.

The only items that cannot integrate, are keypads designed for other series, and batteries

so the 5834 key fob should work with the proa7
That is incorrect.. I used Geoarm aka alarm club for about 1 year approximatively 10 years ago. After that I never used them again. I can see they still don' t know what they're doing.

According to AlarmGrid, the ProA7 with the takeover module that allows it to communicate with the 5800 series sensors cannot not be used with life safety sensors (smoke and CO detectors). I found a combability chart from Resideo on AlarmGrids website.

Here is the list- Honeywell Home PROTAKEOVER Transmitter Compatibility Chart - Dated 6/20 Rev. A

I don't see the keyfob on the list.

Here is the installation instructions for the module- Honeywell Home PROTAKEOVER Installation Instructions - Dated 6/19 Rev. B

This is taken from the compatibility chart- "Using devices not listed here as compatible is not recommended and may cause unexpected behavior"

So you might be able to use the keyfobs but it looks like they could cause issues with the system. Personally, I would wait for AlarmGrid to get back to you and see what they say.

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is incorrect.. I used Geoarm aka alarm club for about 1 year approximatively 10 years ago. After that I never used them again. I can see they still don' t know what they're doing.

According to AlarmGrid, the ProA7 with the takeover module that allows it to communicate with the 5800 series sensors cannot not be used with life safety sensors (smoke and CO detectors). I found a combability chart from Resideo on AlarmGrids website.

Here is the list- Honeywell Home PROTAKEOVER Transmitter Compatibility Chart - Dated 6/20 Rev. A

I don't see the keyfob on the list.

Here is the installation instructions for the module- Honeywell Home PROTAKEOVER Installation Instructions - Dated 6/19 Rev. B

This is taken from the compatibility chart- "Using devices not listed here as compatible is not recommended and may cause unexpected behavior"

So you might be able to use the keyfobs but it looks like they could cause issues with the system. Personally, I would wait for AlarmGrid to get back to you and see what they say.

From alarm grid.

Hey Jay, the Honeywell Ademco 5834-4 Four-Button Wireless Key Remote, will not work with the Proa7

instead, use the PROSIXFOB on ProSeries controls: Honeywell Home PROSIXFOB - Encrypted Wireless 4-Button Keyfob

Last edited:
Reaction score
I guess you're going to have to use the PRO series keyfob. Hopefully the signal is strong enough to penetrate your concrete walls. If not, you can always try and relocate the main control unit to an area that might give you better coverage. Or you could just use the app to arm/disarm.

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess you're going to have to use the PRO series keyfob. Hopefully the signal is strong enough to penetrate your concrete walls. If not, you can always try and relocate the main control unit to an area that might give you better coverage. Or you could just use the app to arm/disarm.
I bought a prosixfob for $20. Ill try it out.

I will also try out the original key fobs I bought, just to see what happens.

But Yeah Ill probably just use the App to arm and disarm. The proa7plus also has bluetooth functionality. So when the panel notices your phone is out of range the system automatically arms itself. Super cool.

Once I get everything in, ill do some major testing.
@smiticans Do you have any specific function/questions things you would like to know about the system ?

if so let me know and Ill gladly test them out !!!

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response..

Personally, with all the requirements listed, I would select the Lightsys 2 from Risco. Has everything and more VAS. EAsy enough for DIY but very secure.
What's the cost associated with this system? I've only seen their iWise motion detectors in the United States. I've never seen a complete system installed here (Not saying they aren't installed here, but I've just never seen one). I don't think its going to have a large user base to assist with a DIY install. Also, the website only mentions 3G cell. AT&T/Verizon 4G and 3G networks will be shutdown in 2022. Only LTE and 5G will be available. I also can't find a website based in the United States that has this system for sale to end users.

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What's the cost associated with this system? I've only seen their iWise motion detectors in the United States. I've never seen a complete system installed here (Not saying they aren't installed here, but I've just never seen one). I don't think its going to have a large user base to assist with a DIY install. Also, the website only mentions 3G cell. AT&T/Verizon 4G and 3G networks will be shutdown in 2022. Only LTE and 5G will be available. I also can't find a website based in the United States that has this system for sale to end users.
Hi

The iWise are super grade detectors, the first of the Anti-Cloaking devices since 2005

I have installed this for many of my friends/family in SA. I prefer to use the IP module that links to the router for the App. The 3G module was popular about 5 years ago. I am available to help with any DIY questions that you have. It's really an easy system to install and configure.

I am not sure who the local reseller will be and I could find out if you would like.

Reaction score
It looks like a decent system but I'm gonna stick with the Vista series for now. That system appears to be more popular outside of the US. I'm going to be checking out the Resideo PROH8PLUS Series when it becomes available. That system is going to be the hardwired version of the ProA7 plus. Hopefully Reisdeo releases more info about it during ISC West this July.

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For anyone interested, I got the Proa7plus about 2/3 days ago.

I called alarmgrid to set up the self monitoring bronze for like $8 a month.

I thoroughly enjoy the panel. I would compare its functionality and responsiveness to a 2018-2020 Tablet.

Very responsive, the touch screen is simple yet useful.

I have numerous zones attached to the panel.

I am contemplating doing a youtube video review.

I really like this alarm system !!!

Jb2644

n3wb
Reaction score
The first kit looks good. Just keep in mind the motion detector in the kit is just a standard PIR. You’re probably going to want the 5898 Dual Tech motion especially with your two dogs. Plus you’re going to have to be selective where you install it (don’t install it where the dogs can climb up on a bed in front of it).

Also, the Lyric kit comes with a 4 hour back-up battery. They sell a 24-hour backup battery if you want the extra runtime. I always try and have at least 24 hours of back up.

I would also consider a wireless keypad to put by the entry door (Honeywell LKP500) and keep the main panel in your bedroom or somewhere out of the way.

FYI- Honeywell released an updated version of the Lyric called the Resideo ProA7 Plus. I can’t recommend it right now because Honeywell won’t allow an end user to program the system. Only the dealer can perform system programming (AlarmGrid). However, Honeywell stated they are going to release a new firmware update that will allow end users to program the system in the future. I’m only mentioning this system in case you want to take it with you when you move because it’ll most likely be a better option for future proofing your system. Honeywell is also now called Resideo. So you if see Resideo it’s Honeywell
For home security kits that connect to IP Cams, do you know any that work with the Amcrest/ Dahua cams? Or do we have to buy the special branded cams that come with the system. I’m wondering if these take unique doorbell cams too.
Would it be better to go with Konnected & hubitat? I’m not a programmer, and I’ve heard it’s still in its early stages so that sounds a bit daunting to me at this time.

Reaction score
For home security kits that connect to IP Cams, do you know any that work with the Amcrest/ Dahua cams? Or do we have to buy the special branded cams that come with the system. I’m wondering if these take unique doorbell cams too.
Would it be better to go with Konnected & hubitat? I’m not a programmer, and I’ve heard it’s still in its early stages so that sounds a bit daunting to me at this time.
Do not buy the branded cameras that go along with the alarm systems. They are not that great and you will have to pay a monthly fee to use them. I'm not sure about integrating Dahua cameras with an alarm system but you might be able to do it using an Envisalink 4 module. I prefer to keep my cameras seperate from my alarm system. I use the TC 2.0 app for my alarm system and Blue Iris for my cameras.

If you want an actual alarm system stay away from Konnected and other products that are similar to it.

Reaction score
For anyone interested, I got the Proa7plus about 2/3 days ago.

I called alarmgrid to set up the self monitoring bronze for like $8 a month.

I thoroughly enjoy the panel. I would compare its functionality and responsiveness to a 2018-2020 Tablet.

Very responsive, the touch screen is simple yet useful.

I have numerous zones attached to the panel.

I am contemplating doing a youtube video review.

I really like this alarm system !!!

@Jay Roman It looks like Resideo released the firmware to allow end user programming. It also looks like a wireless repeater is being released for the Pro Six encrypted sensors.

See AlarmGrid's blog- ProSeries Firmware Update - Local Programming Support

Reaction score
Seems like this may be the most appropriate spot to post up my question without starting a new thread.

First off I'm from Victoria, Australia if that makes a difference to anything.

I'm about to start the build of our house, everything signed off with just an electrical consult to do after the slab is down. So with that consult I'm getting cat6 cables run for cameras and thought (only in the last few weeks I had the thought of adding an alarm system) it'd be our oppourtunity to add an alarm system.
I'm torn between going wired or wireless. Just today I had a local installer send an email with his systems he works with. Wireless alarm is hikvision and from a few searches here I've found this is not ideal.
What options are rated well in regards to wireless?
If I was to to wired, what wires am I needing them to install?

I was hoping to one day make the house automated so something that is compatible.
House is a double story so I was thinking of a few sensors downstairs. Sensors on doors and windows I never knew existed so this is all new (perhaps wireless options on them?)

Sorry if I've asked a question that is a bit generic but just more so after some clarity and guidance so I have somewhere to start on researching them further.
Thanks for any replies that will come back :)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@civilcactus
If you like changing batteries get a wireless alarm system.

I strongly recommend getting a wire alarm system. Break glass and open window sensors, open door sensors, motion sensors (if you do not have big dogs) , loud alarms inside and out (+120 DB). I use outside alarms in the house, I hurts your ears to stay inside . Two out side alarms front and back of the house, Flashing light so the house can easily be identified as the brake in point. I have sensors on inside doors to closet (gun safe, valuables safe) .

Alarms are for security
Cameras are for surveillance, What happened after the fact.

Run more ethernet cables to more location than you think you will need. Outside cameras mounted no higher than 7 ft (2 meters). up.

My house currently:
============================================
1) the front door needs three cameras, one doorbell camera, one pointing at the package drop area, one pointing back to the front door.
2) the garage entrance Needs two cameras pointing out mounted no higher than the top of the garage door.
3) the inside of the garage need two cameras one point at the garage door and one point at the house entrance
4) each entrance to the house must be covered by a camera.
5) each camera must be covered by another camera, If i can destroy a camera it must be covered, recorded by another camera.
6) in my house all public areas inside are covered, kitchen, living room, dining room, halls, game room, den
7) all outside doors are covered by a camera inside, pointing out.
============================================

Reaction score
It doesn't bother me which way to go, we are looking to be in this house for around 3 to 5yrs.

What recommendations are there for each wireless and wired systems that are compatible with home automation?

Being small house blocks that we have down here, and with no balconies/doors that open upstairs, I'd probably lean towards door/window/zone sensors downstairs.

Camera side of things you had a great reply in my other post that I'm grateful for. Front will probably have 3 cameras, garage 1, rear of garage 1 (no side access there, garage butts up to neighbours garage), other side of house 2, rear with 2 also. Even if I don't put them all up right away, having the provisions there for later on considering its a 2 storey will be a god send. NVR location im still unsure about, obviously thinking of somewhere discrete but also have it somewhere that a monitor can be plugged in for viewing would be great.

If this was 3yrs ago, I wouldn't have even considered all this, it wasn't on my mind. Until my parents were burgled while away on holidays, cutting power therefore loss of cameras, and they got royally screwed by the assholes. Anywho, now that my family enjoy going to the snow, it's something we'd love to have as peace of mind while away knowing there is some protection.

Thanks
Cj

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All cameras and alarm system are on ups. There is another good thread on different ups setups.

The best defense against day time break ins are two big well trained dogs. In my house To reach any of the doors and most of the windows you need to open a gate, all court yards and backyard, have dog doors opening, so the dogs cover the outside areas. If you open the gates you are truly stupid.

Another good defense is good neighbors, who are home during the day.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes that is something else I'll be looking at down the track once moved in.

I've been trawling around here most of my Sunday here, what recommendations are there on the alarm systems? Either one..wired or wireless? Something for me to at least research more

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say wired over wireless. Every exterior opening covered by a sensor. Interior motion detection, even if you have pets. They can be on a separate zone and disabled unless the house is empty as in you're on vacation. Glass break sensors where appropriate. Every interior door including closets. Loud sirens, 120db or more inside with the same outside. A strobe outside to allow quick identification by responders to the alarm. Zone the system to allow easy identification of what happened and where. Monitored, either self or by a service.