Home Surveillance cameras

eleV^te79

n3wb
Reaction score
New to the group,
A lot of this terminology is over my head, I’m in the middle of building a house and I want to add a discreet surveillance system to the perimeters of my house. Preferably small dome cameras - roughly 3 on the outside and 1 in the House. I would like to monitor it from a smartphone but also would like to have some sort of a DVR system as well. Infrared with the ability to see at least 50ft at night. Budget is about $1500-$2000. Any ideas on a complete system? Really don’t want to pay for monitoring systems, I’ve had Dlink and nest in the past but looking to set it up.
Thanks

eleV^te79

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you computer savvy? If yes look into Blue Iris instead of a traditional nvr. This will allow you to use any cam you want without compatibility worries. In my reading domes are not ideal, look for turrets like the one mentioned above. Since your house is being built this is the time to run cables so run extra even if you think you wont use them. Most of us found out the hard way that a couple cams is not enough for one side of the house. You may want to expand in the future and running cables later is a pain.
I’m mid level computer savvy...... there’s always something new coming out.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Quickly, obviously too quick.
Hi EleV

Definitely take some time to read through the links, lots of great information in the links to help you get a better understanding of the options as well as a better understanding of what you want actually want to install.

In the links there will be links to complete systems / setups which you may want to get.

SLC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Elev,

As others have stated there is a great deal of information here that takes some time to read through but the majority of the answers to your questions are here. If you are looking for a simple plug and play system like the ones you find at the grocery store you generally won't find those recommended here as they are generally unreliable and bad cameras.

Follow the links looney2ns posted. As drunkpenguin suggested you should look at a dedicated PC such as a Dell OptiPlex to run Blue Iris - Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk Also as suggested run plenty of wires now during the building process to all the locations you may possibly want a camera. Even if you think you will only want 3 you will probably find yourself wanting more.

You can always buy what you can afford now and slowly add to your system as budget allows. Blue Iris has endless possibilities and takes some time to learn to fine tune your needs but well worth it and this forum has all the information you could need.

eleV^te79

n3wb
Reaction score
So I bought 4 cameras ( Dahua
ipc-hdw5231r-z ) and a NVR system (
nvr4104hs-p-4ks2 )
If I’m only looking for 30 days of storage and then delete is a WD Purple 2tb enough? What’s the difference between the old generation in new generation WD purple?
Also these cameras tell you to install a microSD card is that necessary if you’re using the hard drive on the NVR or is the microSD card use for something else ?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nvr4104hs-p-4ks2 )
If I’m only looking for 30 days of storage and then delete is a WD Purple 2tb enough? What’s the difference between the old generation in new generation WD purple?
Also these cameras tell you to install a microSD card is that necessary if you’re using the hard drive on the NVR or is the microSD card use for something else ?
Hi Elev,

You'll need a much larger HDD if you want to store 30 days of videos.

SLC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
nvr4104hs-p-4ks2 )
A microSD card is not necessary if you are recording to a hard drive. As mat200 said you will need a larger HDD.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
nvr4104hs-p-4ks2 )
Storage of what? If you aren't doing continuous recording, then you can store a lot. Motion events? IVS events? What frame rate, what bit rate?
There are calculators to handle such. Search google.
The sweet spot price wise is a 4TB purple, buy the new generation.