Hoping for outside corners

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've been in my home for 22 years and had a hardwired monitored security system for most of that time. Cost of adding IP cameras prevented me. I recently decided to add and monitor cams myself. Hardware (IPcams, NVR 8 ch POE+ (802.3at) Cat6 cable) arrives next week. I'll bench test all before pulling wires but I know where I want them. I bought four (4) IPcams: 2 each Globin PTZ 18x optical 4 MP IP cams and JideTech PTZ 3x optical 2MP. The Globins will be mounted high above ground. Motion detected floodlights are around the home with dust-to-dawn for front of house. I want to minimize the number of cameras around the front and have a Globin (5 lbs) front right on 2nd story right to monitor east side yard, south front yard street, driveway walkway and front door. The house is brick, the soffit is plywood. My downspout is a problem. Think I need a extension mount to reach out on a diagonal to provide needed viewing area. I'm wondering if anyone used an extension to locate a PTZ cam in a sweet spot. I search and found some that are more expensive than the camera... Thank you, Jim

Reaction score
I continued searching for mounts after my post today and found nothing to meet my physical layout. I decided to design my own using PVC pipe to lock in a final shape. Once completed, I'll build the design with metal pipe. I plan to have the one pipe section angles to prevent a reflective surface to the camera. I will add supports to help steady the mount. The attached image is what I'm planning. One junction box will attach to the soffit and the mount will terminate with a second junction box fit to the size of the Globin IPcam. The Globin is 5 lbs. Jim

Attachments

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
seems not many guys use this kind of cams, better to ask your supplier for the brackets, most of them has standard brackets for different using area.

Reaction score
I'll share results with these IPcams shortly. I selected my two IPcams by comparing 20 different IPcams and optimized bang for buck. Cost does matter. I'll consider Andy at kingsecurity in the future. BTW, I was unaware of IPcamTalk.com till yesterday when I was searching for mounts.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll share results with these IPcams shortly. I selected my two IPcams by comparing 20 different IPcams and optimized bang for buck. Cost does matter. I'll consider Andy at kingsecurity in the future. BTW, I was unaware of IPcamTalk.com till yesterday when I was searching for mounts.
Pennywise pound foolish...specs mean little...you'll learn the hard way... unless you have a magic ptz it will never be able to cover those areas...

Reaction score
Hi all, it been a while but as I said I would provide an update. All cams are wired using Cat6. I built the mounts and hung them from roof soffit to have the cameras away from the downspouts. These mounts are 14 inch long hollow wooden with a port for wires near the top rear and lower front for the camera. the wood is painted the color of my home. I mounted two stationary IPcams facing due South (front of home, Diahua) and Due North (rear of homw HDView), two PTZ Ipcams are set on opposite diagonal corners (Globin PTZ 18x optical 4 MP) and two tracking IPcams for front and rear (WCGG PTZ 18x optical 2 MP). The tracking cams work great and are a great deterant based on delivery people. When I want the Hikvision NVR to send email motion alerts, I'll stop all PTZ action and face them in most useful views. I can control these IPcams on my phone when I'm traveling so it fits my needs well.

Reaction score
Happy New Year folks.

I've had the cameras mounted for nearly two years and I am happy with the results. The mounts have proven to be stable even in wind and rain. I have four of these mounts around the house and they look professionally made.

Mounts: I built wooden mounts from 1 by pine cut to 14" length to reach below my downspouts. The sides were 2.25" wide and 14" long. I attached galvanized steel hanger strap with screws to each board, bent each across the bottom of the boards and left 3" of strap for attaching the mount to the house soffit. Next I caulked the board edges and screwed each board to the other making a 2.875" wide square pillar with a square hollow center and four straps sticking out one side. I fit a 1.375" square wooden plug in the bottom and used a hole saw to make the wire openings. I fit Styrofoam in any wiring gaps and caulked all seams. I caulked the straps that were screwed into the house too.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Happy New Year folks.

I've had the cameras mounted for nearly two years and I am happy with the results. The mounts have proven to be stable even in wind and rain. I have four of these mounts around the house and they look professionally made.

Mounts: I built wooden mounts from 1 by pine cut to 14" length to reach below my downspouts. The sides were 2.25" wide and 14" long. I attached galvanized steel hanger strap with screws to each board, bent each across the bottom of the boards and left 3" of strap for attaching the mount to the house soffit. Next I caulked the board edges and screwed each board to the other making a 2.875" wide square pillar with a square hollow center and four straps sticking out one side. I fit a 1.375" square wooden plug in the bottom and used a hole saw to make the wire openings. I fit Styrofoam in any wiring gaps and caulked all seams. I caulked the straps that were screwed into the house too.
Happy New Year @Jim Gallager

Sounds like you got a nice result.

Feel free to share any pictures of the build process to encourage others.

Reaction score
I have no images of the build; only these some final product. The bottom Picture is my WGCC tracking cam. Once a squirrel took a ride and fell down into my arborvitae. I know since I had the video! It leans a few degrees off center now but doesn't bother me.

Reaction score
I put a PTZ on the peak of my house to start with, was good to see what was going on as we have empty lots beside us, drawback was the height, and not seeing the sides of house, so I moved it to a corner and that was ok, now I have a couple of 2 eye 180s that wrap the corners and much better Dahua is discontinueing those now, and have the PTZ on a flagpole in large backyard, so I can monitor re yard maintenance when we leave for the summers heat here in Arizona, seem like it takes having a camera or 2 before one get the hang of placement, my issue with the PTZ is they don't know what is behind them so to speak and I don't get a alarm, this way I am covered. next Cam will be a license plate on as we are on end of a Circle placed waist height in a dummy house # to monitor the staking out drive bys, so it evolves with needs, I thought the PTZ up high would track, but again it cant see behind itself to start tracking, and when will it be that they come when we can see them and play with joystick, as far as mounts, I took 1/4 X2 inch steel flat bar and bent/shaped and did the mounting, but then I have a welder.

Reaction score
I cant tell for sure, but are those connections hanging between the down-post and the holes in the soffit are they environmentally sealed together? I just wonder if they are going to get water in them, search these forums for some instances where water got in that connection and the result is quite awful.

Thanks for providing how you assembled, I might use a similar approach for a post I want to stick in the ground and I dont want cables running down the back of it. I was thinking of a 4x4 post with a routed "junction box" style cutout or channel for the network cable to run down the back, but I have a moisture intrusion concern both on camera/post and also foundation entry point.