How can I upgrade a Lorex HD DVR to a Dahua Firmware?

Reaction score
Hi all. I have been researching this topic heavily but I am running into errors. I found multiple firmware files but every time I try to upgrade it the DVR says it failed to upgrade. I think the DVR doesn't recognize the firmware and is blocking it. Upon opening the device I found it has a Dahua DH9901A chip installed. The Lorex firmware is v00048 Build date 7/5/2019. The model just says HCVR. The S/N begins with ND0114. The IE version is 3.1.0.4. Does anyone know if this is upgradable? I just want it to connect to my DMSS app instead of the now defunct Lorex app. Thanks a lot guys. 1708889146058.pngDSC01924.JPG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At some point they blocked it from being able to flash other OEM firmware, so you could be running into that.

I don't have that model, but my neighbors with Amcrest and Lorex systems have been able to use DMSS or any other OEM app without an issue.

Reaction score
I believe you are right about the firmware blocking. The unit shuts off when I attempt to load Dahua firmware via Configtool and only starts up again when I unplug and plug in again. Some said that they had to downgrade the firmware. Any ideas where to find older firmware? Thanks!

Reaction score
Have you read through this?

Reaction score
Have you read through this?
I don't know if it would work because I have a DVR not an NVR.

Reaction score
I suppose I glossed over that detail but I still don’t think you’ll be able to upgrade to Dahua firmware without more work than just using configtool. If you can’t upgrade an NVR without a null modem adapter and several steps listed there I doubt you can with a DVR either

Reaction score
DMSS will work for the Lorex NVR’s I have (I assume DVR’s too) unless you’re trying to use P2P, and if that’s the case you shouldn’t and should probably figure out how not to