How do I extend my Ethernet cable 520ft to my NVR

Shotreach

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a nvr that I need to get internet to that is 520ft away with an underground cat 5e cable. I purchased a POE extender but it did not work. I do not have the ability to plug something in, halfway in the field. I was told I need and EPOE injector but I can not find one. I need to go router>injector>extender(which is nearly exactly halfway through my run installed already)>NVR for internet connection. Can I just get a regular old POE injector plugged in right at the router? Or do I need EPOE? Either way, it’s going right where the router is and it’s not a fancy one just a regular old internet company installed router. As I understand it if I have a switch it needs to be at least 325ft away from the router. Please provide a link and from Amazon if possible!! Thank you !!

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish. Usually if we are talking EPOE it's because you have a camera a long way from the NVR and the camera location has no power available so needs to be powered over ethernet (poe).
If you just need ethernet 500+ feet away from your main router then either add an ethernet repeater (possibly POE powered and water tight as your buried line will get water in it), or switch to fiber with converters on either end, or go wireless point-to-point like @TVille describes.

Shotreach

n3wb
Reaction score
I
Not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish. Usually if we are talking EPOE it's because you have a camera a long way from the NVR and the camera location has no power available so needs to be powered over ethernet (poe).
If you just need ethernet 500+ feet away from your main router then either add an ethernet repeater (possibly POE powered and water tight as your buried line will get water in it), or switch to fiber with converters on either end, or go wireless point-to-point like @TVille describes.
need to g
Yes. I need Ethernet from router to NVR which is 500ft away. It’s all underground. one Junction box halfway through. I have a POE extender already installed halfway through. Can you provide a link to a repeater I could simply put in halfway through the run assuming that’s what you mean

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
In terms of electrical isolation, lightning surges/EMI, you're far better off using either fiber or the dedicated RF link. Either will electrically isolate the two locations which will also eliminate possible ground differential/loops.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I

need to g

Yes. I need Ethernet from router to NVR which is 500ft away. It’s all underground. one Junction box halfway through. I have a POE extender already installed halfway through. Can you provide a link to a repeater I could simply put in halfway through the run assuming that’s what you mean
You need something like this. I have heard of these but never used them. Notice this device is for exterior use, but not for burial or immersion. Anything in an electrical box in the grounds could easily become submerged. You don't appear to need the POE to go on past the repeater, but this one does anyways. I would still recommend the Ubiquiti or similar, to avoid dealing with buried cable.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an Amcrest Xvr running on the 2.4 Ghz Ubiquiti Nano stations. It sends camera footage from a Garage to the Condo building thru the air about 375 ft. By wire it would have to be over 550 ft. due to the Location of the rack and the Asphalt parking lot. Works slick. Beats standing in Some ladies garage at -10F trying to work a mouse. Disregard the yellow arrow. I was showing someone that I could read that plate on a 20x PTZ. It's mounted on the telephone pole. the other is mounted on an irrigation pipe nearby an opening in the wall.
IMG_0148.jpgView recent photos.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is it POSSIBLE to repull a fiber optic cable through that conduit? Something tells me no. If it's a 520ft long conduit with only a single pull box in the middle... it would be "almost" impossible to pull any type of single cable through. But if you had to... I would cut the existing cable in the middle, tape and tie MULE TAPE or RED STRING (blue string is lighter duty) to the old cable and pray it's possible to pull through. Of course, now you have to terminate fiber ends but with mechanical connector ends like Tyco Amp or various other brands, it's actually pretty simple once you have one of those $50 ceramic fiber optic cleavers. If running fiber from point to point is something you'd like to jump into, say so and myself (and others) can help you with it.

Another option that I posted somewhere here on IPCT. I had a customer with a 1500' Cat3 25pair cable that needed to be used to extend a Charter Spectrum ethernet circuit. The corporate IT folks send out Perle ethernet extensions. No idea of what they cost but it's an option.
I like the Ubiquiti Nano station idea myself. Cheaper, simpler, well known, and could have the system setup within a couple hours.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Couple hours for you....:)
All my 2 hour jobs turn into 3 then a lunch break and 2 trips to the Hardware store....:)
People say I should install cameras for people, then I talk them and they won't budge from Wifi cams and cringe at holes in the walls. That's why Simplisafe has a market. at 60
i dont think i can do a job fast enough to make money. Grandpa John up in the Attic creaking around swearing like a truck driver.....

Reaction score
Couple hours for you....:)
All my 2 hour jobs turn into 3 then a lunch break and 2 trips to the Hardware store....:)
People say I should install cameras for people, then I talk them and they won't budge from Wifi cams and cringe at holes in the walls. That's why Simplisafe has a market. at 60
i dont think i can do a job fast enough to make money. Grandpa John up in the Attic creaking around swearing like a truck driver.....
just walk around with those $8 Wifi camera jammers (garage door openers?) and show them how easy it is to remove cameras from a network with a small $$$ item. Ok, I do not know for sure if a garage door opener jams Wifi cameras :) Never known anyone that could jam Wifi but I can assume it's rather easy to do.