How do I Zoom to a part of a camera's field of view?

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not been on here for a while, BI has been working and what with other things etc. You'll understand.

If I use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in, that's all I get, zooming into the center. Shouldn't I then be able move to the left or right, using the left mouse button depressed?
Obviously I can only do this when I've started to zoom in and within the cameras field of view. I'm not referring to panning a PTZ camera.

Is my memory playing tricks and I never had this feature?

I've gone back to 5.2.10 x64 (4/29/20) from 5.2.65 x64 (4/29/20).

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can zoom in on a single full screen live view using the mouse wheel, then use the left mouse click to drag the view around. The mouse arrow turn to a hand when in this mode. I am on BI version 5.2.4.4

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So it does seem that I will have had this feature, ie digital zoom. I'll update and reboot both W10 and BI.

Last edited:

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No change,
Not much to update with W10, just the mostly daily "software removal tool". I'm back on BI 6.2.61 x64 (4/29/20). Mouse looks to be ok, changed to a different mouse, and different USB port, no improvement. So if I zoom-in it's zoom into the centre only, with no ability to then move to the left or right within the cameras' fields of view.

Have I inadvertently altered a general setting that's caused this?

srglassw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So it does seem that I will have had this feature, ie digital zoom. I'll update and reboot both W10 and BI.
I was sure that I used to be able to digital zoom in on a full screen camera view with the mouse wheel and then drag around the zoomed in view holding the left mouse button too. I'm on version 5.2.5.10 and can't drag the zoomed view any longer. When I'm not on a full screen camera view, using the mouse wheel to zoom in on a camera window view does allow me to drag around the zoomed view.

So, it's not just you and not just me having this issue. This "undocumented enhancement" seems to have crept into one of the many recent updates.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was sure that I used to be able to digital zoom in on a full screen camera view with the mouse wheel and then drag around the zoomed in view holding the left mouse button too. I'm on version 5.2.5.10 and can't drag the zoomed view any longer. When I'm not on a full screen camera view, using the mouse wheel to zoom in on a camera window view does allow me to drag around the zoomed view.

So, it's not just you and not just me having this issue. This "undocumented enhancement" seems to have crept into one of the many recent updates.
This occurs only when ptz is enabled. If you want it to work the way it had previously email support.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
With the Clips I've just noticed digital zoom works in the normal way, but not on live camera views.

Progress, thanks fenderman.

I've got digital zoom back, for one fixed camera so far, more when I've changed other cameras' settings.

For a specific camera, looking at Camera Settings>PTZ/Control though it's a fixed camera some of the PTZ boxed have got ticked, untick and digital zoom on live view is back. I haven't fully understood all of this yet.

Edit: I've got digital zoom working with the mouse again for my 4 fixed cameras. With my one PTZ camera I haven't yet worked out how to use digital zoom via mouse and optical zoom using PTZ controls. Once it's been set I hardly use the PTZ optical zoom controls anyway.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
With the Clips I've just noticed digital zoom works in the normal way, but not on live camera views.

Progress, thanks fenderman.

I've got digital zoom back, for one fixed camera so far, more when I've changed other cameras' settings.

For a specific camera, looking at Camera Settings>PTZ/Control though it's a fixed camera some of the PTZ boxed have got ticked, untick and digital zoom on live view is back. I haven't fully understood all of this yet.

Edit: I've got digital zoom working with the mouse again for my 4 fixed cameras. With my one PTZ camera I haven't yet worked out how to use digital zoom via mouse and optical zoom using PTZ controls. Once it's been set I hardly use the PTZ optical zoom controls anyway.
Email support so he can fix it for the ptz

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Further progress, I've now got digital zoom working on my PTZ camera with the PTZ Enable box ticked in Camera Settings>PTZ/Control. BI is now on 5.2.7.1

Further good news, I tried Intel Hardware Acceleration and it's working, OK it's night time, CPU is 12%, previously it didn't work and CPU was around 20%. Driver is rather dated, 26.20.100.7262.

From yesterday I've chosen to have automatic updates back on in BI.

Thanks to all concerned.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Further progress, I've now got digital zoom working on my PTZ camera with the PTZ Enable box ticked in Camera Settings>PTZ/Control. BI is now on 5.2.7.1

Further good news, I tried Intel Hardware Acceleration and it's working, OK it's night time, CPU is 12%, previously it didn't work and CPU was around 20%. Driver is rather dated, 26.20.100.7262.

From yesterday I've chosen to have automatic updates back on in BI.

Thanks to all concerned.
Automatic updates should always be disabled. At the very least it should be set the only update critical and stable updates