How do you enable Intel Quick Sync in BI v5?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have BI v5 on a dedicated computer i5 8500 running as an experiment only TWO Dahua 8MP 4K cams.

GPU:
Intel UHD Graphics 630

2029 k/Bs

250 MP/s

----

CPU is at 26-33%

----

Hardware accelerated decode is 'Intel'

How can I tell if I have Quick Sync enabled and working correctly?

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The easiest way to see if quick sync is working would be to disable it, restart the BI service, monitor CPU to see if it changes drastically. If it does then you know that quick sync was working properly. I have another install that I upgraded to V5 that has a quick sync capable CPU and quick sync still worked after upgrading to V5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
task manager
The easiest way to see if quick sync is working would be to disable it, restart the BI service, monitor CPU to see if it changes drastically. If it does then you know that quick sync was working properly. I have another install that I upgraded to V5 that has a quick sync capable CPU and quick sync still worked after upgrading to V5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How would you disable it?

Where in task manager?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Do you have the GPU column and GPU engine column? If not right click on the columns to add it.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have the GPU column and GPU engine column? If not right click on the columns to add it.
Yes:

I'm only running the 2 8mp 4k cams with this setup. 15fps and all stats above not sure if any other stats are needed to figure this out?

Does anyone want to remote connect to take a look over? Maybe it would be easier if you can work some magic or do same setup that you have that enables quick sync?

Thank you :)

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks again for sharing how to look at GPU engine in the task manager. Since there is nothing there I have to assume Quick Sync is not enabled.

@pmcross I figured what you meant about enable/disable. I did it through Blue Iris and didn't see a change in CPU so I guess Quick Sync is not being utilized even when choosing "Intel".

Can anyone help figure out why this is not working. I do not have any other settings and all brand new windows install.

I am unsure why this would not work.

The computer has Intel quick sync as I confirmed it on their website:
Intel product specifications

I followed all settings from the Blue Iris Optimization.
Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

I have HA - Intel selected.

Intel UHD Graphics 630 - most recent drivers were installed 5/28/2019 - 26.20.100.6912

Does the # still indicate Intel enabled in the Status -> Cameras -> # next to the Pixels? No # is in the BI Status/Cameras.

If anyone knows what to look for and how to mess with settings it might be quicker for remote desktop and will not mind if anyone cares :)

Whatever I find I will update and share for anyone else interested.

Monitoring it without intel it seems CPU is a bit lower. Higher when INTEL is checked in HA (did restart BI)

It seems quicksync is working as under GPU Engine it says 'GPU 0 - 3D' under "Client Server Runtime Process" and "Desktop Window Manager" ?

I think I have included all possible info.

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What driver?
system version FOR CAM:
2.622.0000000.18R, Build Date: 2019-01-09

Intel UHD Graphics 630 - most recent drivers were installed 5/28/2019 - 26.20.100.6912

If you want to poke around in remotedesktop I do not mind if you have the time.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Roll back to older drivers. New ones I find either don't work, or cause ghosting when they do.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Roll back to older drivers. New ones I find either don't work, or cause ghosting when they do.
What model would be best just the previous or a few back?
Download Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers

Other Versions

What is ghosting?

ALSO anyone reading - must do this to rollback:
Learn How to Roll Back Your Driver to a Previous Version

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok.. I went with 6861... No luck

Then I went with 6709... no luck.
Installed 6890... no luck
6708... no luck
6618.. no surprise no luck
finally suppose the oldest... no luck.

And to confirm 100% that quick sync is working you would NEED to see GPU next to blue iris in the task manager?

It is a bit odd to see this. Not sure if there is any other tricks people can suggest?

for sure there is no quick sync as when driver was uninstalled I had same CPU usage of 25%-32%...

This is probably going to be an issue when I add all cams which will be about 5-10. Is there anything that could be done to help fix this beyond installing past drivers?

Is there a bios setting I might be able to edit?

If I contact customer service would they help or is this not a BI issue?

Last edited:

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your computer doesn't have a separate video card installed does it?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your computer doesn't have a separate video card installed does it?
It does not. Only this card right now and that is all that shows up in Device Manager. There was a nvidia card but all drivers were uninstalled and the nvidia card was removed.

Is there anything else I could try as I do not see why it would not work. I just installed windows10 and setup so many things on this that trying to reinstall is not something I would really want to do right now.

I see bios has some settings but doesn't seem to be one in the new NEW HP Bios that I am seeing.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Just checked my system and for BI I get short blip messages of GPU 0 - Video decode, does that means that it’s using HA?

I’m sure I saw in a previous thread a percentage figure in that column?

Edit: Just watched it again and I can see the percentage figure in the GPU column which rises and then falls to 0 when the Video decode message disappears.

Edit2: I have Intel selected for Hardware acceleration in both the BI settings for Cameras and within each of my cameras.

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just checked my system and for BI I get short blip messages of GPU 0 - Video decode, does that means that it’s using HA?

I’m sure I saw in a previous thread a percentage figure in that column?

Edit: Just watched it again and I can see the percentage figure in the GPU column which rises and then falls to 0 when the Video decode message disappears.

Edit2: I have Intel selected for Hardware acceleration in both the BI settings for Cameras and within each of my cameras.
Good question. I have to assume if you see it at all it is doing its job but wait for anyone else more familiar.

By the way.. You just fixed my issue. I never seen this written in the Wiki - you have to have it enabled for each camera:

THANK YOU!

What a difference. It dropped to 11% and not going much higher than 20% now.

Last edited: