How do you sync time with your cameras? I have 15

rickroll

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, I have a server Blue Iris and 15 different locations with Annke (clone of Hik cameras) streaming video to that server, and recording. Since the time change the cameras didn't switch and I had to manually switch time in each camera. I tried numerous time servers with no luck. I also installed Nettime program on the server and disabled ntptime in Windows server. I then added 123 port to my firewall where camera resides and where my server is, and put server's IP into camera option to sync and it still doesn't work.

Does anyone know the solution?
I used to have Lorex setup and it was the same thing, they would never sync.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I have a server Blue Iris and 15 different locations with Annke (clone of Hik cameras) streaming video to that server, and recording. Since the time change the cameras didn't switch and I had to manually switch time in each camera. I tried numerous time servers with no luck. I also installed Nettime program on the server and disabled ntptime in Windows server. I then added 123 port to my firewall where camera resides and where my server is, and put server's IP into camera option to sync and it still doesn't work.

Does anyone know the solution?
I used to have Lorex setup and it was the same thing, they would never sync.
you need to open the port 123 UDP...also remember that an NTP server ignores DST, so you must set that up in the camera itself to make the change...you tell the camera what day and time to change to DST

rickroll

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you need to open the port 123 UDP...also remember that an NTP server ignores DST, so you must set that up in the camera itself to make the change...you tell the camera what day and time to change to DST
Whoaa...it ignores DST? How come server/computers are not affected by it?

rickroll

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also, is there a way to set things, so I don't have to touch them ever again? What if someone has 200 cameras, he has to set up DST every year since the dates always change?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Whoaa...it ignores DST? How come server/computers are not affected by it?
Computers know when to change based on their location settings. I remember when the US changed the daylight saving switchover dates and I had to manually update Windows 2000. XP was still maintained and received the updates automatically.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also, is there a way to set things, so I don't have to touch them ever again? What if someone has 200 cameras, he has to set up DST every year since the dates always change?
At least in my Dahua, there's a page that lets me say: DST starts on 2nd Sunday in March.....ends 1st Sunday in November. It can be configured however you need for your country.

rickroll

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
At least in my Dahua, there's a page that lets me say: DST starts on 2nd Sunday in March.....ends 1st Sunday in November. It can be configured however you need for your country.
Does this seem to be correct?

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
For anyone interested, here is a correct configuration of a Dahua camera for someone in the MST/MDT time zone and with an NTP server running at 192.168.0.123:

It is mostly the same as Hikvision. A few small differences. Another point of possible confusion is which time zone you need to choose. Daylight savings time (in the USA anyway) technically switches people between different time zones. Like right now people in the "Mountain Time" zone (Colorado, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Alberta, etc) are observing MDT (Mountain Daylight Time) which only has a -6 hour offset from GMT. However a month ago in February we were observing MST (Mountain Standard Time) which has a -7 hour offset. Each of the major time zones in north America has a "Daylight" time zone and a "Standard" time zone. Apparently Dahua's interface wants you to choose the offset from the "Standard" time zone.

Last edited:

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are using that many Hikvision clones, you should try the Hikvision BatchConfigTool. You can download at http://hikvision.com/en/Tools_82.html.You can configure one camera and then copy the different settings (all or just a specific setting) to all of your other Hikvision cams.

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just leave everything I own in UTC and then add the offset in my head. Easier and I never have worry about changing a clock.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just leave everything I own in UTC and then add the offset in my head. Easier and I never have worry about changing a clock.
I’m sure if you were supplying footage to the police they would prefer the correct time stamp

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’m sure if you were supplying footage to the police they would prefer the correct time stamp
True, but to quote an old Rolling Stones lyric..."You can't always get what you want, But if you try sometimes you might find, You get what you need."

I'd tell 'em about the offset and I'm pretty sure they could handle it. I know they can tell me exactly how much over the speed limit I was going. :cool:

Tolting Colt Acres

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have, numerous times. Along with an affidavit attesting the recording is a true copy, and the notation that time stamps are indicated in UTC. Hasn't been a problem yet. I do not think Johnny Cochran is going to get OJ off because the timestamp on the recording is in UTC rather than PST.

I'd tell 'em about the offset and I'm pretty sure they could handle it.
The local constabulary seems to have no problem. Most of them are former military.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see your point, but it seems more logical to set it to local time. There’s nothing to gain by setting it to anything else. Therefore, it would be a red flag in my mind if someone told me the time was off... configuring the time zone, and DST is easy and just one more step with all the other configuration that happens when setting it up. It seems lazy to me